Question about licensing...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
HexMark

10 Sep 2015

I recently installed and played around with Reason 8, and decided I must have it, so I'm going to buy it, but I have a question about it's licensing. I've read that you can install it on multiple computers, but I've seen different methods of licensing.

I have a workstation that I used to use for AutoCAD and Solidworks 3D design, and I would like to use with my son's old MIDI controller. (His piano teacher begged me to get him something with full weighted keys, so we had to get him a digital piano). I would like to disable all windows services possible on it for best performance, so it would be an always offline/dedicated computer. I would also like to be able to let my son use it in his room with his digital piano.

I saw that one method of licensing was for 1 offline computer, or the ignition key for multiple offline computers, or the online (or whatever licensing). I guess my question is, can I just leave the ignition key in my computer, and let him authorize his computer online? Or would we have to swap the ignition key between our computers every time he wanted to use it? (Which, realistically he'll probably wind up using it much more than I will. I had a lot of time and inspiration to write music on my Ensoniq keyboards 20 years ago, but now it's kind of a "now-and-again" craving I get)

I also want to be able to tinker with it on my laptop I keep on the coffee table, just using the laptops keyboard to play around, but I can just keep using the reason demo on here. I mainly just want to find a way for both of us to use it, possibly at the same time sometimes, that doesn't turn into a pain in the ass, without having to shell out the money for another license. I might not care if this was something I'd end up making money doing, but with my budget, I'm at the mercy of whatever propellerhead will allow. Both computers would always be at the same house, same IP address, etc... so it seems like there should be a way to do it that would be allowable, but knowing software companies, I don't necessarily expect that.

ScuzzyEye

10 Sep 2015

Legally, you need 1 license for each computer that will be used simultaneously.

Technically, there are three (or four if you have a Balance) things allow a copy of Reason to start in licensed mode.
  1. Ignition Key
  2. Computer Authorizer
  3. Online Activation
RE trials, and Reason beta copies require Online Activation, and if two computers attempt to be online at the same time your account will be locked.

Do with that information as you will.

• Information