How long does it take you to complete a song?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Arrant
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2015

I had massive trouble finishing songs, but I've found that working towards a deadline really helps for me.

The song challenges on this very forum have really helped me focus on one track at a time instead of succumbing to the temptation of moving on to a new idea all the time. Let's face it, ideas are fun, while fleshing out and actually finishing a track is more like work.

I recommend you join one of the current challenges (there are three of them running now over at the rack extension subforum) and see if that helps you. Don't forget there are prizes involved too for some extra motivation :)

motuscott

12 Sep 2015

Arrant wrote: ideas are fun, while fleshing out and actually finishing a track is more like work.
True, that
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

JoshuaPhilgarlic

12 Sep 2015

As music is not my only hobby it can take up to one year to finish a song :? . I'm in vacation now, but having started to play Sims 4 some weeks ago I'm not sure if I find the time to finish the song I started in october last year :roll: .

gak

12 Sep 2015

motuscott wrote:
Arrant wrote: ideas are fun, while fleshing out and actually finishing a track is more like work.
True, that
One huge thing here is that I struggle with organization vs the "idea" vs getting anything cool to go along after the idea. Many times my perfection issues step in and I want something that is "as good or better" than the first.

FATCheese

13 Sep 2015

Song I feel finished usally took me about 1 or 2 days. But then I have 98 other songs that are WIP forever... :(
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

• Information