How long does it take you to complete a song?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

07 Sep 2015

..From start to finish, what's your average production time to complete a song? I've had some tracks that I've worked on for years, and then I've had some where I finished them - like completely - within a few weeks. I've never been able to pop a completed track out in a day or 2 though. :oops:

I spent the past weekend locked in my studio and made major progress on a track. I'm about 90% there, just have to record the vocals for a final cut. I can see the forest through the trees! :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

07 Sep 2015

Forever. I have 6 million nice ideas that I've not finished.

Marauder Black

07 Sep 2015

1day-Few weeks

motuscott

07 Sep 2015

What is this Finish you speak of?
A country in Europe?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Karim
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

When on I' m in a good mood one entire day ( just a raw mixing).
other some 2-3 days for a good mix and mastering ( when I do at "home" )

Cheers
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

thotbott

07 Sep 2015

Few days to a few weeks. Best thing you can do for yourself with finishing a song is give yourself a deadline. No deadline equals infinite tweaking etc. set a date and once past the date don't touch it for a while, if at all, but never delete an idea. The mental process of a deadline alone will refine your process and speed

Aquila

07 Sep 2015

Depends how I'm feeling. When I'm feeling down and depressed it can take weeks, but if I'm pepped and in the zone, less than a day.

decibel

07 Sep 2015

i never finish songs, im not really interested in releasing music to the public anyway, i just enjoy building ideas until i get bored with them and start something else :) the hard drives are full of dead tunes lol

Namahs Amrak

07 Sep 2015

I don't feel I have ever finished a song, despite spending 20 to 40 hours a week for quite a few of years now.
My Words are my ART

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

The base idea of a song is fast. The melody, the harmony, i might get them done in a couple of hours. That is the juice of the song, the most important part.

Build up and arranging the song takes longer, and there are some stuff that i'm always thinking i could do differently.

I remember someone saying "the mix is done when the shedule is over...". With songs and arranging is the same. You could always do something more, or something differently.

I'm doing a lot arrangements for clients, and those are taking from 1 to 3 days, but most times, melodies, and some harmonies are already defined.

submonsterz

07 Sep 2015

wow did my post get removed I wrote a long post and it just gone strange better not have been policed and just be an internet bug....

motuscott

07 Sep 2015

I once finished a song. But my hard drive ate it.

submonsterz

07 Sep 2015

motuscott wrote:I once finished a song. But my hard drive ate it.
I listened through ya sc tracks a lot of stuff for hiphop choppers in ya tracks . as tracks mostly not my scene but for the samples yup theres some coolio pieces there to be shure. ;)

Exowildebeest

07 Sep 2015

A couple of days - usually, if it takes any longer, it isn't a good track in the first place.

Final mix adjustments and mastering again and again not included of course, that's never finished.

gak

07 Sep 2015

submonsterz wrote:wow did my post get removed I wrote a long post and it just gone strange better not have been policed and just be an internet bug....
Could be. I just use the software.

Jmax

08 Sep 2015

About 1 week.. 2 to 3 solid days working on it then you usually a day rest and another day to finish it off and do some mastering. Depending on how busy I am it can be quicker like 4 days.

It can take up to a few days to find the sound I'm happy with though to begin with. And sometimes I'll just go to bed with nothing and try again the next day. A lot of times I'll stumble unto my idea accidentlly or finally find a chord progression or beat I'm satisfied with.

Also I noticed after I finish a project I need to take at least 3 to 4 days without doing any music so I can clear my head of the last project and start on a new idea. Weird but If I don't do this I often just come up with nothing. It's important to step away for a bit and come back with a clear head. For me anyway.

:lol:

RealmUK

09 Sep 2015

I only get a couple of hours in the evening to work on my songs and that's not necessarily every night. Life quite often gets in the way of my music making ... which is also good as I think it is beneficial to walk away from it from time to time. I find songs always sound subtly different when you return to them with fresh ears and you pick up on little things that were missed before.

Anyway, all told it will typically take me quite a few weeks before a song reaches 'completion' (depending on the complexity of the piece) ... i.e. all composition/arrangement in a state I'm happy with and final mix and mastering completed.

KnowKontrol

09 Sep 2015

a few hours to forever. depends how in the zone I am... and what other distractions there are... IMO my better tracks take the least amount of time

Tincture

09 Sep 2015

2-3 days max usually to write/track a song, then depends how long I want to spend turd polishing. Not usually that long.

yamguitar

09 Sep 2015

...When's the deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhutureD

10 Sep 2015

1day to a week, If I have the spare time and can work continuously undisturbed and depending on the material. Working with sample packs is a lot quicker than designing sounds, so a bit of time is saved there. The majority of the work- is done on the first day. Rest of the time is getting it sounding right.

jonheal

10 Sep 2015

Infinity + 1
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

DharmaSound

10 Sep 2015

Deadlines really help me. But it really depends on the depth of the song. If it's a simple song, maybe a week including the lyrics, but longer depending on the harmony. 2 months for a string quartet....Just....never.....stop.....

motuscott

12 Sep 2015

DharmaSound wrote:Deadlines really help me.
Deadlines have pushed me closer to "finishing a song" than anything else.
Still I stand by my statement that I have never finished a song.

• Information