Pick a Reason native device to upgrade to v2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Data_Shrine

02 Sep 2015

Subtractor II
Less aliasing - and give it a stereo option without having to set it up with the back panel (which is kinda fake stereo but gives it a bit more punch, which it sometimes lacks in a mix)

Also +1 for more factory sounds. HQ versions of oldies but goodies would be nice too.

gak

02 Sep 2015

NN-XT to have stretch and Kong to have multiouts kept as a default (regardless of kit) AND a proper semitone change for both :x (Oh, I'd love for someone to say it does that/rtfm which I've done and haven't found yet)

Not sure those are worthy of a 2.0 update but features that drive me nuts.

badmind36

02 Sep 2015

Malstrom with user sample loading
NN-XT
Combinator
:reason: :re: :refill: :twisted:

dvdrtldg

03 Sep 2015

Redrum was updated? I missed that one. What did they do?

dioxide

03 Sep 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:Redrum was updated? I missed that one. What did they do?
Remote mappable Step buttons (1-16). Minor update but hugely useful for me.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2015

NN-XT:
- HDD Streaming
- Easy KeySwitching

colcifer

03 Sep 2015

eXode wrote:Thor II...
On the topic of more filters, I'd love a modeled ARP 4012. (System 500 and 2500 filter module models wouldn't hurt, either, but can wait.) A sustain stage for the mod envelope would be useful, too.

Miles Static

05 Sep 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:What Exode said about Thor 2.0, minus the backwards compatibility requirement (let's just keep the old Thor and not be limited by its form).

Either Thor 2.0 or Malstrom 2.0, the latter focusing more on the sample and grain side, and the former more on classic synthesis, those two would be, I think, very popular.
That is an interesting point and I wholeheartedly agree. I think having a separate device called Thor II makes more sense and allows the concept to grow farther.

Raveshaper

05 Sep 2015

I just want a lot of the specific features found in the current devices to be ported out into half racks that only do those exact things.

But if I had to choose I would say the Mixer 14:2. Give it 8 aux sends/returns, 16 channels instead of 14, and a way of somehow tying into the SSL using auto routing of multiple channels, etc.

But really, I'd like little building blocks of just the features I need to get something done. It's super inefficient to load an entire instrument just to use one feature of it that nothing else has.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

sdst
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2015

everyone knows that reason needs is the nnxt 2 but

I vote for the combinator 2. lol

kitekrazy

06 Sep 2015

mcatalao wrote:NN-XT:
- HDD Streaming
- Easy KeySwitching
Like most samplers. That is why there are few developers creating more sound libraries. Try mapping a multi velocity piano in NN-XT compared to Kontakt.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2015

kitekrazy wrote:
Like most samplers. That is why there are few developers creating more sound libraries. Try mapping a multi velocity piano in NN-XT compared to Kontakt.
Actually pianos and single non keyswitched instruments are not the problem, really as NN-XT allows you to do multi velocities AND already has round robin. So, pianos, and percusions, and so on, are fine.

But what would be great is that Keyswitching could even be done in the combinator, and leave nn-XT as is, adding ony HDD streaming to it, for more quality (more velocity layers, as you said).

Keyswitching is already possible but is a real PITA to achieve...

Gulale

07 Sep 2015

why picking one when you can upgrade Most of them like Studio one did
Gulale aka Bereket

reason2dance

07 Sep 2015

Matrix! Just in order to get back its easter egg of Reason 1.0 :D ...

alex

07 Sep 2015

I'd really love if the matrix had a way to click and left/right drag to shift the pattern plus an automatable rate knob...
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2015

alex wrote:I'd really love if the matrix had a way to click and left/right drag to shift the pattern plus an automatable rate knob...
To shift, just right click over the matrix, you can shift right, left, up, and down...

alex

08 Sep 2015

mcatalao wrote:
To shift, just right click over the matrix, you can shift right, left, up, and down...
You're right and thanks for your reply, but I would still prefer a "shift knob" or a click and drag option where, the more you drag
the more the pattern will get shifted on that direction.

You may ask why :D, so here's my usual workflow:

- attach a matrix to a device
- right click -> Random Pattern
- press play

Most of the time the random pattern is "off beat" (for lacking of a better word) so if I'm dealing with a 16 or 32 step pattern, in the worst case scenario I have to repeat that shift process you mention (N/2)-1 times (if I did the math right) which I find a bit unpractical.
The solution used, for example on Euclid, an offset knob, is quick and handy that's why I would love to see something similar for the matrix which is still an essential and great tool!

Hope I wasnt too boring... :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

exe135

08 Sep 2015

RPG-8

Poly mode with 2-4/all notes groups
User defined octave patterns
User defined note order
Reset on note on
Sync pattern start to sequencer
Individual Gate length for each pattern step selectable inside the device

Last Alternative

08 Sep 2015

Neptune 2. I mean come on. Right now it's a cheap joke. Like Crapre.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Dante

08 Sep 2015

The main Mixing Desk (currently SSL). Several features suggested over time in this forum such as another model (Neve) or hiding subgroups.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Neptune 2. I mean come on. Right now it's a cheap joke. Like Crapre.
Mmm, i disagree. I think there is space to evolve, but i don't think it's a joke. You must be using a setting a bit too harsh, because i'm using it on a lot of tracks and it's working quite nicely.

I do achieve better results with soft tweaking and good singers (that need slight adjustments) than harsh settings with not so good singers. But, i do prefer to comp, and do it again, and use neptune just to tame the edges. Melodyne for example, has an amazing AI in its core, and has the most amazing results with little tweaking, while Neptune, being a real time device, needs more tweaking to achieve good results.

Also, most times people complain about neptune, they've only scratch its surface. But i agree, there is space for improvement.

Ah, and by the way, some time ago, i got the impression that the time stretch mode of the audio tracks, also defined the way neptune "sensed" the original audio pitch,. I'm really not certain of that, but as a standard rule, i still define the stretch mode for each track, just in case (in case i have to transpose it, or if it really makes a difference for neptune processing).

Anyway, i do like Neptune's voice synth effects, and they are great and suitable for harmonization (specially live harmonization a la vocoder type is amazing).

But until we have something as powerful as melodine (it would be interesting to see it implemented inside the comping editor) here are some ideas that have worked well for me:
- Start by defining the source. Set the Stretch mode of the track to the correct type.
- Define the vocal source at neptune (Low Freq on or off, wide vibrato).
- Define one or several scale memories, and toggle them as needed with automation. Transpose the tone with automation
too, if the song changes tones.
- ALWAYS define and try to find the best catch zones for the performance.
- "help" neptune the much as possible to decide the best pitch in the oddest parts. If you have a whole section that is very
off and neptune is having a lot of trouble finding the correct pitch, get into the comp editor, and transpose that section some
cents up or down as needed. You will have less artifacts from the first transposition, and the calculated transpositions neptune
adds will also be less problematic and less prone to artifacts. Rule of thumb: Every singer can detune. Best singers detune mostly
UP. Worst singers will detune mostly DOWN. So when transposing those cents in the track, go up or down as needed and use
your ears.
- If you have a good singer, make him/her do the thing right. He/she will HATE you in the end of the session, BUT will thank you
when they hear the result. Even if you use neptune to tame the edges, get the best possible performance from your singer,
and then Comp edit for the best. And then when adding neptune, keept the most relaxed settings (slower speed,
preserve expression).
- If you have a bad singer, then completely assume the tuning correction, and use harsher settings, though use the techniques
above to reduce harshness and artifacts.
- Neptune is doing a lot of calculations to compute the original pitch, isolating main frequencies, from odd harmonics,
content from environment noise, etc, so a lot of filtering and other techniques must be happening behind the hood.
It seams logic to me, that if you have the best sounding recording, with low noise and perfect content, neptune will do a
better job. So when using neptune, i usually put it in the end of my vocal chain. If you're using SSL's dynamics, just toggke the
chain to (Dynamics-eq-Inserts) or (Eq-Dynamics-Inserts). If you're using a De-Esser (i think its a must have in any vocal chain),
put it also BEFORE neptune. The idea is to have the best sound easy to analyse by neptune.
- Finally: Do not fix what isn't broken. So, if a section of a vocal is not off, do not use neptune, just automate the bypass button
for that part.

Hope it helps!

thala

10 Sep 2015

combinator mk2 with synplant window!

challism

10 Sep 2015

Neptune needs to be updated badly.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Dance FX 21

11 Sep 2015

Combinator 2 - Definitely Agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Information