audio pitch (frquency) to midi notes ??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
anko

27 Aug 2015

hi, a question for any reason ninjas out there who might be able to suggest a way i can do this... ;)

i want to be able to convert the pitch(es) in some recorded audio clips to midi notes. there are some vst's out there that do this, but i'm thinking there might be a way to accomplish this using built in reason devices and cv cabling...

big bonus if i can throw an auto tune in there to "clean up" the pitch to note conversion, but any advice on a way of hooking items up in the rack just to achieve the basic aim would be great!

tia for any replies,
a.
Last edited by anko on 28 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Aug 2015

I made a simple pitch duplicator recently, it converts pitch to CV.
Not sure if it helps, but check it out: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 54#p215354

anko

28 Aug 2015

orthodox wrote:I made a simple pitch duplicator recently, it converts pitch to CV.
Not sure if it helps, but check it out: http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 54#p215354
thanks for the reply orthodox, this is kinda in the right direction for what i'm trying to do, but how to convert the cv to notes on a note track?

maybe there is no way to do this with reason devices, there's not anything i can find in the rack extension shop that seems to obviously make this possible, but, just because i can't see a way sure doesn't mean there isn't a way... ;)

anko

28 Aug 2015

ok a minor edit of the original post to add "notes" to the title, might make my question clearer.

anko

28 Aug 2015

jfrichards wrote:Here is the one made by Peff:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/328d9t48ej7a8 ... e.cmb?dl=0
thanks a bunch, intriguing. the cabling on the back between the combinator devices is pretty much bamboozling me though... lol, probably not that hard to do bamboozle me.

do you know if there was ever any textual description of the how's and why's that accompanied this?

i'm trying to figure out the logic by following the cables and routing, but just ending up with squares in my head.

cheers.

Gaja

29 Aug 2015

Well what you're looking for is quite difficult to achieve. I'm guessing you're talking about converting completed songs or snippets of that. That takes some sophisticated algorithms I think. The way peff is doing it is basically taking the pitch detection from neptune and use the cv to trigger the respective notes in another device. For me personally it never helped with what I was looking for. Maybe imitone will get you closer to what you need. www.imitone.com
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2015

If you are talking Melodyne then there isn't a parallel in Reason.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

anko

29 Aug 2015

Gaja wrote:Maybe imitone will get you closer to what you need.
hmm, interesting, and very cool.

seems to be based on microphone input only though and i'd like to be able to use audio files as input.

looks like it could be fun to tool around with though! :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2015

Imitone should work from any monophonic input. If you toss a whole song at it at once it is likely to have a panic (and no Disco).

Benedict Roff-Marsh

anko

29 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:If you are talking Melodyne then there isn't a parallel in Reason.
melodyne seems kinda like using a nuclear-powered mega-crane to lift a feather, for what i want to do, i think...

have a look at this link: http://www.digital-ear.com - a super-simplified and rough-enough version of something very basically along those lines would be what i was after.

what i'd like is to take a short, monophonic (as in no polyphony) audio track (or file) as input, and spit out midi notes to a note track (or mid file i suppose).

i guess i could run the input through a spectral analyzer and transcribe (non-partial) frequencies to notes by hand, but i wondered if anyone could think of a way to roughly automate this in the reason rack. seems like maybe not though.

anko

29 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:Imitone should work from any monophonic input. If you toss a whole song at it at once it is likely to have a panic (and no Disco).
yeah. the site is a little short on details, i'm wondering if there's a way to feed it audio without playing the file through speakers into a microphone.

and yes, it's simple monophonic only input i'm thinking of.

Gaja

29 Aug 2015

If you use soundflower (mac) or Jack (win) you could wire for example vlc to trigger imitone, which could then trigger Reason.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

submonsterz

29 Aug 2015

anko wrote:
Benedict wrote:Imitone should work from any monophonic input. If you toss a whole song at it at once it is likely to have a panic (and no Disco).
yeah. the site is a little short on details, i'm wondering if there's a way to feed it audio without playing the file through speakers into a microphone.

and yes, it's simple monophonic only input i'm thinking of.
if ya sound card got a mic input and can use sends then put ya audio send to the mic channel simples works a charm.

anko

29 Aug 2015

Gaja: yep, i would use jack for audio loopback. submonsterz: thanks for the tip.

as it is i also fired off an email to the imitone guy, and although it is focused on real time input, where your daw sees it as a midi input device (which would be cool to have in musical toolkit also) direct audio input and midi file output are also planned for the release version.

the peff combinator that jfrichards posted seems to be the closest to what i had in mind when i asked the question and i'm still playing with that and gradually figuring it out.

thanks a bunch to everyone for your input! :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2015

Just recorded a little "do wah" audio track, Quantized and exported to Audio, Imported to Digital Ear Demo and Imported the MIDI back to Reason. Initially nothing played int he ID8 but if I drag the MIDI to a Thor and assign Expression to Filter I a get a kind of Trumpet line. Sort of cool way to make a plain Thor come alive but Digital Ear creates a pretty convoluted MIDI stream that is not very easy to deal with in Reason.

It would be far nicer if we had something within Reason.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2015

I may have cracked it - well as much as is practical in Reason

This Combi takes the Audio and puts it through Neptune to temper pitching and extract the Amplitide Env. The Pitch and Amp CVs are sent to a Synth to control Volume and Filter. A Matrix sends the Synth a continuous C3 (this means the Seq needs to Run) and the Voice controls pitch and Vol/Brightness. Using the Saw sound at default you will likely end up with a sort of Trumpet sound.

You can insert this in an Audio Track Insert area or as a Combi Effect after the Mix Channel. If you try feeding a complex source like a whole track then expect a sputtering farty noise. The same will happen if the Audio track is LOUD. Try dropping the Clip Level by 6db (or the Amp and Filter Trims).

If wanting this to drive another synth then it gets trickier. Take the Neptune Pitch CV to the Instrument's OSC Pitch (CV In doesn't seem to work). Wire the Neptune Amp CV to the Instrument's Amp CV In. You then need to create note triggers. All Note triggers should be at C3 to maintain tuning. You can create one note at C3 for the whole song or one Note Trigger per Phrase if you want to keep the synth patch's Envelopes etc.

Driving an EMI would require the use of several EMIs as you need to use the Assignable CC CV In twice and find useful targets. With some care tho that should be doable and even record-able back into Reason to get Notes and CC data.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... RUN%29.cmb

Let me know how you go.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Raveshaper

30 Aug 2015

What you are after is technically possible for simple monophonic audio, but it is still very difficult. It would involve a rather complicated system of patches, cv, and a surface script to achieve it, but it could theoretically be accomplished. I wouldn't know for sure unless I tried.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

anko

31 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:I may have cracked it - well as much as is practical in Reason
(...snip...)
Let me know how you go.
very cool, i'm thinking i'll be able to use these ideas to do what i wanted. you are a gentleman and a scholar sir. ;)
QwaizanG wrote:What you are after is technically possible for simple monophonic audio, but it is still very difficult. It would involve a rather complicated system of patches, cv, and a surface script to achieve it, but it could theoretically be accomplished. I wouldn't know for sure unless I tried.
yeah, it's certainly well beyond my own powers of reason-fu. :)

blown away by everyone's input, much appreciated!!

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2015

No worries. I do this and think "cool, I'm gonna use that; and then I never do". It is just too much of a fudge so something like an RE would be great.
Benedict Roff-Marsh

Raveshaper

01 Sep 2015

The way I would do this would be so convoluted that it would be more trouble than its worth (probably). It would involve isolating specific frequencies that match the fundamentals of all the notes, then reading which one has the highest peak value and creating a note event. It would have terrible latency due to the shear enormous size of the contraption required. At that point I would just transcribe by ear.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2018

Benedict wrote:
30 Aug 2015

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... RUN%29.cmb

Let me know how you go.

Hallo Benedict, link expired, do you still have it?? Tnx. I'm pickin up the idea.

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2018

The original thread must have been before Reason added audio to MIDI?
Selig Audio, LLC

anko

11 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
11 Apr 2018
The original thread must have been before Reason added audio to MIDI?
yep, as the o.p. i can confirm that reason's added audio to midi function completely solved this problem for me. ;)

• Information