Big save time/size when using refills

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
iramrezso

26 Aug 2015

Hi,

I noticed a strange behavior with Reason 8.3. If I load a Combi preset from PH Electric Bass refill that has a lot of samples, the save time and the file size increase drastically. Changing the patch to a bit smaller one, the save time/size lessen accordingly.
I don't have the self-contain option set, and turning this feature on makes the thing much worse.

Does anybody know why a song with only four midi track and using a bass refill combi gets >5MB in size?

Benedict
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2015

I would have said that it was likely that the samples are being saved in the Song File. You say they aren't. Did you check through the Song Samples in the Browser to see if there are some still hanging around.

Also of course any Audio Tracks/Clips will also be saved. Even ones no longer being played.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

iramrezso

27 Aug 2015

Thanks for you answer.
Sure, no samples are stored in the song file, I just see samples in the assigned group in the sample browser.
This file contains no audio track.

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2015

So are you saying there are Samples in the file then? Remember that there can be samples in the file even tho they aren't used anymore; e.g. if you auditioned 12 snares (fully opened in an NN), they can still all be in the Song File till you Delete or do a Save and Optimize.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

esselfortium

27 Aug 2015

I've noticed the same thing. Song files take much longer to save when large sampled instruments are used, like anything from Reason Drum Kits or Impact Soundworks' refills.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

iramrezso

27 Aug 2015

esselfortium wrote:I've noticed the same thing. Song files take much longer to save when large sampled instruments are used, like anything from Reason Drum Kits or Impact Soundworks' refills.
Exactly. I can't recall such behavior of Reason's earlier versions.

esselfortium

27 Aug 2015

For me it was actually much worse in Reason 6 and 7, where in addition to taking a long time to save, even common actions like adding, moving, or folding/unfolding devices would cause the program to lock up for a few seconds. I haven't experienced that since updating to R8, thank goodness. It made a lot of nice instruments basically unusable.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information