RV7000 MK2 stereo?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ocean of Waves

25 Aug 2015

I'm a bit confused by the RV700 MK2 device. It seemed logical to me that with IR adaptation they'd make the thing stereo, but, unless I'm mistaken the MK2 isn't stereo. You can however put a stereo IR into the device. What I'm curious about are the following things:
  • 1. Does it collapse a stereo IR, or does it uses either Left or Right?
    2. How does one create a stereo MK2 combinator, if possible?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2015

To my knowledge Rv7000 has always been a stereo reverb, even with the other algorithms. The convolution algorithm also works in both stereo and mono modes.

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

Ocean of Waves

25 Aug 2015

It outputs stereo, but it isn't true stereo. You can't put stereo into it although the back inputs suggests it does!
Some prove for you:

1. Create a track and make sure it is mono, fastest way to do this is a mono audio recording.
2. Move the panmeter and listen to it moving from left to right as expected.
3. Now insert a Scream on the Master channel, set it to audible distortion.
4. Move the panmeter (of the mono track) and listen to it moving from left to right as expected.
5. Replace the Scream with a RV7000 MK2, any patch.
6. Move the panmeter (of the mono track) and listen, nothing pans at all.
Last edited by Ocean of Waves on 25 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Ocean of Waves

25 Aug 2015

FYI, I know how to hook up two RV7Ks to use as a true stereo inside a combinator. I'm just at loss here how this darn thing handles stereo Impulse Responses.

The hard way would be to split all my IRs into dual mono files and load those into two RV7Ks, but I'm hoping there's another way to do this.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2015

I beg to differ, i believe you're making something wrong or at least judging things differently.
Here's my test, it consists of a different approach.

1 - Load the default reason template.
2 - Create any sound generating device, fastest one will be a dr rex. Now turn that to mono setting the wide button all to the left.
3 - Activate send 1. Reverb should start pumping right away. Play with the pan pot. The instrument will fly from left to right and still the reverb will sound on both sides as expected.
4 - Now lets test if the reverb is stereo. Create 2 new mixer channels, add a new audio spider. Route the send to the spider input, route output 1 to the send return again, route output 2 left to the new channel left input, route output 2 right to the left input of the second channel. You should now see the reverb returns in channel 2 and Channel 3 in the SSL. Yet this proves nothing.
Route this to a new bus. Reverse channel 3. If the 2 channels are equal, the sound should be completely muted. Agree?
5 - To hear the reverb returns alone, hit tab on the rack, go to the master section, and change the master channel cables from master out, to ctrl room out. Now go to the SSL mixer, and at the master channel, hit FX Return and make sure the selected send is send 1. Go to the ssl mixer and tweak pan. There is no apparent/perceivable panning in the Return.

So, if you followed me, at 4, i've proved you that the left channel and the right channel are different, right? This is the behavior of stereo algorithm reverbs, they make the spaces more real and fuller by applying different transformations to different channels.
Anyway, internally the reverb must sum both channels up, because a sound, independent of the place where it is in a room will reverberate on the whole room, and the room surrounds you completely, right?

I did the above tests, with Tsar-1 and Uhbik A. At point 5, with Tsar 1 reverb, the signal is more prominent to the side where the the pan is. But the way i feel this works is that even at completely wet setting, Tsar 1 is letting some initial source spill into the wet signal. When i did the same with Uhbik A, the behaviour was simmilar to RV7000, and still i regard Uhbik A as a fantastic reverb.

I hope this makes any sense.

Cheers,
MC

EnochLight

25 Aug 2015

Not sure if this will help from the manual, but in the convolution algorithm the input signals for the effect are first summed to mono (except in Parallel Stereo Mode (see “Stereo Mode” below)) and then processed with the impulse response sample. The figures below shows the signal routings in the Convolution algorithm:

"Stereo Mode" determines how the output signal should be presented. Note that the stereo effect is derived from the impulse response
sample itself. So, the wider the stereo effect in the impulse response sample, the wider the stereo effect in the output.

Note that if you use a mono impulse response sample, all effects below will be in mono!
  • Stereo: The input signals are summed and then a stereo effect with a spread of 100% is applied.
  • Stereo75%: The input signals are summed and then a stereo effect with a spread of 75% is applied.
  • Stereo50%: The input signals are summed and then a stereo effect with a spread of 50% is applied.
  • Stereo25%: The input signals are summed and then a stereo effect with a spread of 25% is applied.
  • Mono: The input signals are summed and then the effect is panned to a centered mono signal (0% spread).
  • M->S Slow: From Mono slowly panned out to full Stereo.
  • M->S Fast: From Mono quickly panned out to full Stereo.
  • S->M Slow: From full Stereo slowly narrowed down to Mono.
  • S->M Fast: From full Stereo quickly narrowed down to Mono.
  • Parallel: Individual processing of the two L and R stereo input signals (dual mono).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ocean of Waves

26 Aug 2015

Note to self, RTFM!

Thanks Enochlight :lol:

EnochLight

26 Aug 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Note to self, RTFM!

Thanks Enochlight :lol:
No worries; glad to have helped! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information