Site maintenance: Unable to open Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Klaus-Morlock

25 Aug 2015

Okay, so my internet is fine. But the Props authorizer is not responding, so I can't open Reason. Is this to do with the current maintenance? This is VEY VERY bad, because it's 1:07 AM in Los Angeles, and I'm working to a deadline. Am I the only one unable to open Reason? The window says there is a "network error" and that it's my internet, but as you can see, I'm online.

Immensely discouraged,

Morlock

Klaus-Morlock

25 Aug 2015

Anyone? Is Reason down?

Socram
RE Developer

25 Aug 2015

I am also unable to open Reason. I guess the authorization server is undergoing maintenance as well.

I kept hitting try again, and just now it worked. 3:20 AM CST
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Klaus-Morlock

25 Aug 2015

Thanks for the reply, Socram.

This is the pits. I need the program for my actual job, and I simply can't do my work. Props should have warned us in advance, enabling us to plan accordingly. Totally unacceptable.

Okay, now it's back. Warn us in advance, Props!
Last edited by Klaus-Morlock on 25 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

pLansford

25 Aug 2015

I was able to login to Reason as well as the site.

Socram
RE Developer

25 Aug 2015

It just let me log in, I would keep trying. Don't know if it was just a fluke or what though
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Raveshaper

25 Aug 2015

At times it really does seem that PH exists inside a stasis field that contains a small pocket of the mid 1990s. Every now and then, a reconnaissance probe is launched to gather information about the seemingly strange and mysterious advances within the time-progressed world outside, but the temporal nexus of the stasis field always ends up scrambling the data. The result is worldwide distribution of a network dependent app with no redundant servers, unmanageable license update procedures for large collections of extensions, no way to downsize extension collections, and features that either weren't requested or are barely used...among other missteps.

But, it's unique? Different, certainly. Just glad I still have 7 and my Ignition Key.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

normen

25 Aug 2015

When using Reason professionally I'd REALLY recommend either authorizing the PC or getting an ignition key. You don't want to be dependent on having an internet connection at all... You can't expect the whole internet, you ISP and the Props to predict all kinds of possible issues in the connection and report them to you just because you didn't set up your workplace properly.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

25 Aug 2015

normen wrote:When using Reason professionally I'd REALLY recommend either authorizing the PC or getting an ignition key. You don't want to be dependent on having an internet connection at all... You can't expect the whole internet, you ISP and the Props to predict all kinds of possible issues in the connection and report them to you just because you didn't set up your workplace properly.
I use Reason professionally, it's all authorised, and I couldn't start work when I intended to this morning.

Please don't be disingenuous, normen: as a developer you know full well that you can't test your product if you can't log in. Perhaps you've been fortunate enough not to have had to sit around twiddling your thumbs for a day not being able to work because the PH server was down.

Having authorization on the PC or ignition key is irrelevant, as that only applies to licensed REs, not beta ones. People don't expect the whole Internet, my ISP or Props to predict all kinds of possible issues, but at the same time, we do expect to be able to do the work we need to do, when we need to do it. For some of us who do use Reason professionally, we are often prevented from working because of PH server issues. That's not right.

I dislike the way Reason displays some nonsense about how it must be a fault at my end and I should check my Internet connection and try again. It was PH's server that was unavailable, and regardless of whether it was scheduled downtime no-one was aware. Some of us are not welded to social media, and even if one did take a quick glance at their Twitter page it would be hopeless as they've pinned a large Reason 8.3 announcement at the top. They're happy enough to send out information about loops every week to everyone's emails, but not make more than a cursory effort to disseminate info about planned server downtime. /shrugs.

Today was only a very short planned outage, nothing to get outraged over. But do not suggest that it doesn't have any impact for anyone if Reason is authorized. Next time it could be down for a day again. That costs us devs money.

normen

25 Aug 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Having authorization on the PC or ignition key is irrelevant, as that only applies to licensed REs, not beta ones.
I also strongly advise NOT to use beta software for professional work.

Namahs Amrak

25 Aug 2015

Klaus-Morlock wrote: I need the program for my actual job, and I simply can't do my work. Props should have warned us in advance, enabling us to plan accordingly. Totally unacceptable.
Yes, that would have been the professional manner in which to handle it, like many other commercial applications that I use daily. But we're talking about Propellerhead here. Scant regard for their users.
My Words are my ART

Tincture

25 Aug 2015

Alright... I'm going to go off-topic here but the above seems over now and I don't really want to start a new thread.

Q. Can I open and use REason whilst the authorizer is downloading an RE?

I don't want to try it myself in case it halts the download... I'm 178 into 456Mb and it's been an hour an a half so I'm walking on eggshells a bit hoping it doesn't fail. I think maybe the License update went through ok (if slowly) as I haven't seen a failure notice from Authorizer (but I have been away from my PC ). So maybe this morning's downtime has helped stop update failures??? I would be very happy if so :) But I want to use Reason!! Itching after a week away... but reckon I've got another 2hours of RE download if it doesn't fail... Hence my question.

EnochLight

25 Aug 2015

Tincture wrote:Q. Can I open and use REason whilst the authorizer is downloading an RE?
Yes, but after Authorizer completes the download and license installation, you will need to quit Reason and start it again in order to have access to the RE in question.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tincture

25 Aug 2015

Cheers Dylan. I did try opening Reason but it went through updating the licence (took nearly an hour but no failure!) then just sat there unopened until my download finished. But then it opened fine including new RE. I don't know what they did this morning with the servers but I didn't have a failure on either updating the licence or my biggest D/L yet (456Mb) so I can live with that if this isn't just a one off. I have a pretty basic internet connection and lots of REs so these things take a while but I'm totally ok with that if I can 'budget' for that time... it's just been the failures and hence the unknown time budget that has been driving me crazy.

Klaus-Morlock

25 Aug 2015

It's pretty simple. If you're going to be without water for an hour because of maintenance, the manager/landlord of your apartment should let you know in advance. Just be upfront, and allow people the chance to plan. So if I knew that the water in my apartment was going to be cut off between 8 and 9PM, I wouldn't eat a massive curry at 7:45. It's just a small courtesy, but details are important.
Relieved,
Morlock.

• Information