How do you think Props will do it?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
auricle

22 Aug 2015

Since the very beginning Propellerhead software has followed a skeuomorphic design (designed to emulate the interface of real world hardware) for Reason which has been a unique selling point for them and has worked very well. However, as time marches on and higher resolution monitors become more popular, I'm wondering how Props will react. A few DAWs are switching to vector designs for easy scale-ability (Studio One and FL Studio spring to mind), but I don't think vector graphics would work well if Props continues to follow their skeuomorphic design.

How do you think Propellerheads can manage this in the future?

This isn't a rant or a feature request, just thinking aloud and I am interested what you all think.

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2015

One other possible approach: higher resolution graphics will allow a level of scaling.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

auricle

22 Aug 2015

selig wrote:One other possible approach: higher resolution graphics will allow a level of scaling.
That's true but that means that all developers - past and present, will have to redo all their interface graphics.

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2015

auricle wrote:
selig wrote:One other possible approach: higher resolution graphics will allow a level of scaling.
That's true but that means that all developers - past and present, will have to redo all their interface graphics.
UNLESS - they are ALREADY higher resolution - the Props are fairly forward looking in these cases…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2015

Could it be that the graphics are all done in a vector format already, maybe using a format like that used by Inkscape?

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

auricle

22 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:Could it be that the graphics are all done in a vector format already, maybe using a format like that used by Inkscape?

No, they are definitely raster based graphics. Vector graphics are much simpler - just look at Capture One v3 for example.

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2015

Inkscape is a sort of Adobe Illustrator clone and it saves in a format that (at least in theory) IE can open and display - sort of like an EPS file. That is what I use for most of my album covers and can do almost anything I see on an RE GUI which suggests that the technology is available at least.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

esselfortium

22 Aug 2015

Rack Extension interfaces are required to be created at a much higher resolution than is displayed in the rack, so all third-party devices are accounted for. It is basically guaranteed that at some point Propellerhead will update all of their in-house devices in the same way and that Reason will be making use of those hi-res interfaces for screen scaling.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

auricle

22 Aug 2015

esselfortium wrote:Rack Extension interfaces are required to be created at a much higher resolution than is displayed in the rack, so all third-party devices are accounted for. It is basically guaranteed that at some point Propellerhead will update all of their in-house devices in the same way and that Reason will be making use of those hi-res interfaces for screen scaling.
That's very interesting to know, thanks :)

• Information