Qunexus Polyphonic aftertouch?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jallen97

22 Aug 2015

I've been checking out the Qunexus midi controller...... I was wondering if anyone has tried one with Reason. I was also wondering if anyone knows if Reason or which devices in Reason might support polyphonic aftertouch. I'm not completely clear about how polyphonic aftertouch works but that seems like an interesting thing....

ScuzzyEye

22 Aug 2015

Reason itself doesn't support polyphonic aftertouch. It's sent in a different want than channel aftertouch. More than likely the controller sends channel and note, so Reason will respond to the channel information, and ignore the note. Since Reason doesn't even receive the poly aftertouch, it can't pass it on to devices.

colcifer

22 Aug 2015

There's a Remote workaround, I'm led to believe.

jallen97

22 Aug 2015

Thx so much. Maybe I should go with the K board bc it doesn't do poly after touch anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jallen97

22 Aug 2015

colcifer- oh really? Like with making a remote map?

jallen97

22 Aug 2015

colcifer- oh really? Like with making a remote map?

ScuzzyEye

22 Aug 2015

It would be possible to capture the poly aftertouch with a Remote codec, and send it as something else, but there is only one bit of data in Reason that is unique for each note, and that is velocity. As an RE coder, I really doubt many instruments support changing the velocity of a note after it has started (it'd show up as a new note anyway, because velocity is simply a parameter of the note). Anything else that the poly aftertouch value was mapped to would end up being applied monophonically, so you might as well send channel aftertouch, and map that like normal.

For example, you map the poly aftertouch to the rate of an LFO. Even if that LFO's value is unique for each voice of the instrument, there's only one knob that controls all the voices the same. So using Remote to change that knob isn't going to be able to act in a polyphonic manner.

It might be possible to design a device similar to the A-Series, Distributor, or Charlotte poly splitters that has specially designed Remote controls that when combined with a matching codec could be addressed with poly aftertouch, and send that parameter to the right note of a polyphonic modular synth. That's the only way it'll work is if each voice of the instrument has its own set of knobs.

jallen97

22 Aug 2015

So nice to be able to get such great info on this forum! Thanks so much for such a thorough response!
Not sure if I want to get a K board or not. The latching mode is pretty cool. Trying to decide if I think the pressure and tilt capabilities are worth it or not.
Plus there's the pretty lights....

• Information