Balance Audio Problem/Distortion

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pablobrad

21 Aug 2015

I recently bought a Propellerhead Balance USB Audio Interface. With Reason 8.3, it works just fine. With games and Media player, it works fine. However, there is one game (Napoleonic Wars - Mount & Blade Warband) that it sounds awful with. It sounds as if the action is underwater, distorted, garbled etc. I have tried the game with my on board sound card and its fine, but with Balance, garbled and annoying. I have updated Balance drivers several times just to make sure but it does not help. Does anybody please have any suggestions?

OldGoat

23 Aug 2015

As far as I understand, this isn't the correct forum for this ("Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com bugs and suggestions, and not for support on your Propellerheads software. ").

Regarding your problem I assume that you use Windows. You could try to determine the reason of the problem with Process Monitor: https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sys ... 96645.aspx.

Your action plan:

First you have to know the name of the process of the game, if you do not know it: Start the game, open Task-Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL, then choose Task-Manager), in Task-Manager choose "More Details", then select your game, right click and then select "Switch to details", there you should see the name of the process, next:

1) Download procmon and start it.
2) Start your game with Balance.
3) Wait until you hear this "Underwater Sound"
4) Switch to procmon, click on File and then on "Capure Events", this should disable the capturing of events.
5) Click on Filter and choose "Result" in the first drop-down, "is not" in the second drop-down, and "SUCCESS" in the third drop-down, then click "Add" and then click "OK".
6) Sort by "Process Name" and find the process of your game, then look what fails, if it is an access problem, try to resolve it by running the game "as an Administrator", it could also be a Registry-Access-Problem, then you have to give the user under which the game process runs permissions on the Registry-Key using "regedit.exe", you can also search the web for "Access to X fails with Result Y".

Hope that helps...

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2015

I would guess that seeing Balance works fine everywhere but that game then it is a game setting or perhaps the game is calling some sort of Windows (or similar control panel) sound "improving" effect.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Olivier

23 Aug 2015

Thread moved, carry on.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

• Information