Limited time offer: Save €30 on Reason 8 upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Emian

20 Aug 2015

you know what would be real painfull ?
if they raised the upgrade-price to Reason 9 for Reason 7.1-or-less users when it's there.....

i know they never did that before, but they just as well never did an upgrade-sale like now too as far as i know....

maybe props should move over Reason 7 users like me who aren't convinced enough yet to upgrade to 8, but do keep enjoyin' the RE-sales in the meantime & willing to wait till the next major upgrade...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

gak

20 Aug 2015

eauhm wrote:Damned if you do.. damned if you don't..
;)

EnochLight

20 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm willing to wager that a full version hop to 9 is at least 9 months to a year away - at the earliest.
Tincture wrote:How much are you prepared to wager Dylan? I might have a flutter with you that R9 is out in less than a year :)
Hah! Oh I dunno... say a round of beers the next time you're in the Detroit area? ;) Today's the 20th of August, so if Reason 9 is out to retail by Friday, the 20th of May, 2016 (exactly 9 months from today) the first round is on me! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jagwah

21 Aug 2015

I am not even slightly interested even with a couple percent discount.

Reason 7 FTW!

Tincture

21 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm willing to wager that a full version hop to 9 is at least 9 months to a year away - at the earliest.
Tincture wrote:How much are you prepared to wager Dylan? I might have a flutter with you that R9 is out in less than a year :)
Hah! Oh I dunno... say a round of beers the next time you're in the Detroit area? ;) Today's the 20th of August, so if Reason 9 is out to retail by Friday, the 20th of May, 2016 (exactly 9 months from today) the first round is on me! :D
Heh heh it's a deal :) and if it's more than a year then the drinks are on me in sunny Newport, South Wales ;)

MirEko

21 Aug 2015

Meh. I'm waiting for sample import SDK. Until that comes I don't really need anything more than R7. R7 is pretty awesome.

I find myself spending more time making music on iPad and hardware and R7 is more like an advanced tape machine these days :D
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

GeiddE

21 Aug 2015

Seems a week or 2 too early for me
I've got the kids going into school and a project to finish
i AM tempted though - it's a great deal
This offer expires Sunday 8/23/15 at 11:59pm CET.
SO that means Sunday 6pm 8/23 here in 'Merica

dstreets

21 Aug 2015

Not crazy about R8 or the direction Props have been going lately but in the interest of staying relatively up to date I'll take that deal. : )

joeyluck

21 Aug 2015

But perhaps Propellerhead could start staggering pricing? They've certainly earned it.

And it's a bit upsetting sometimes to see some users poke fun, talk trash, and how they can take advantage of the system.
"I don't like that Propellerhead keeps wanting my money! I don't like what they are doing! But I sure can't wait to have RV7000 MkII in Reason 9! Hehe! Since they are nice to me and don't stagger the upgrade pricing! Hehe!"
Wait, what did you just say? Did you hear yourself?

Jagwah

21 Aug 2015

MirEko wrote:Meh. I'm waiting for sample import SDK. Until that comes I don't really need anything more than R7. R7 is pretty awesome.
:thumbs_up:

I'm waiting for something that really sparks my interest, until then I'm in the same boat you are. Reason 7 is stupendously cool / awesome / perfect / feature full. Upgrading now would be like upgrading a video game that I play all the time just because a new version has been released, it's simply unnecessary. Before Reason 8 all upgrades were unquestionable instabuys, after Reason 8 everything is different to me personally in that regard. I'll wait for something big to happen or as I said something that really sparks my interest.

MarkTarlton

21 Aug 2015

I got the offer too, but after the last few purchases I made on sale...well that didn't work out so great for me, plus I am working so much I don't have time to mess with Reason that much and a learning curve...I can't use it professionally with my rig and I already invested my cash on other goodies. R7 is fine with me :)

Updating all the time has never been my thang.

Namahs Amrak

21 Aug 2015

Not enough to entice me. While it might *look* like they are so wonderful in releasing all these point updates, the whole lot combined is still the least valued upgrade in their history. I'll hold out for v9 in the hope that they review the file browser and roll it out properly.

Does v8 export projects to MP3 now that they have launched that dumping ground cloud for cheezy loops?
My Words are my ART

gak

21 Aug 2015

I didn't get the offer :evil:

Oh wait, I'm already at 8.3 :mrgreen:

MirEko

21 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:But perhaps Propellerhead could start staggering pricing? They've certainly earned it.

And it's a bit upsetting sometimes to see some users poke fun, talk trash, and how they can take advantage of the system.
"I don't like that Propellerhead keeps wanting my money! I don't like what they are doing! But I sure can't wait to have RV7000 MkII in Reason 9! Hehe! Since they are nice to me and don't stagger the upgrade pricing! Hehe!"
I think your a little bit too emotionally invested in a computer program :D

Remember PH set the pricing and upgrade paths themselves, we all know they do things their way. If it leaves open alternative upgrade paths, I'm sure they are aware of it. The bulk of their money is no doubt RE these days anyway. Think about how much you've spent on RE, take 30% from 3rd party RE the add it to the cost of PH RE then compare that to Reason costs.

They are moving the software away from a upgrade every year, to be more driven by RE developments.

If people don't want to upgrade to reason 8, there's no need to get upset. r8 users are fine, R7 users are fine, PH are fine..
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote: And it's a bit upsetting sometimes to see some users poke fun, talk trash, and how they can take advantage of the system.

What on earth are you talking about? Who is taking advantage of what ? Do you believe that someone who chooses not to rush out and upgrade on every release to be taking advantage? Or are you suggesting that people who take up the 30% discount are taking advantage? Either way, its an odd statement to make. Some of us still have the capacity to exercise free will,thanks all the same.
joeyluck wrote:"I don't like that Propellerhead keeps wanting my money! I don't like what they are doing! But I sure can't wait to have RV7000 MkII in Reason 9! Hehe! Since they are nice to me and don't stagger the upgrade pricing! Hehe!"
Gotcha - people can only express an opinion so long as it ticks certain boxes. The last poster is right, you are too emotionally invested in a computer program. Propellerhead aren't 'nice to you'. They are in business to make money. That's what businesses do. If people fall into the hypnotic propaganda in the videos that proclaim "we are your friend" or "we're only here for the musician" baloney, then more fool them. To expect everyone else to all into this viral slavery is rather daft. Version 8 is still a poor value release to many people. I couldn't give a damn abut the Mk2 Reverb - therefore all these point release still only amounts to a measly offering - a drag and drop feature, an enhanced color palette and a browser that's going to stifle my workflow on multi-screen setup. Forgive me if I don't get as aroused as others. :roll:
My Words are my ART

gak

22 Aug 2015

I don't buy that at all. It's not difficult to understand why someone is on the reason bandwagon would support the idea.

In the 8 months I've been on board I've heard the whole enchilada on "views" of reason. Not thinking at all that the pro reason guys are out of line, or fanboi'ing. It's a good price for the update, if it's not for you, cool. Nothing wrong with that.

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

gak wrote: It's a good price for the update, if it's not for you, cool. Nothing wrong with that.
Exactly, nobody is obliged to update, nor is it taking advantage of Propellerheads. Buy/Don't buy, the choice is ours.
My Words are my ART

gak

22 Aug 2015

Right. And what I would add is that it's totally understandable that either you want to stick with 7 (or whatever) or you use 8+ :)

What I feel I'm seeing is a posturing thing. I understand where both sides are coming from, but NEITHER is right/wrong ;) Frankly, I fall more on the side that is a little tired of the bashing. I'm not fanboi enough to not understand if there was problem. I don't see one. Have a tough time relating to what some people might call "hateraide"

OldGoat

22 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:And it's a bit upsetting sometimes to see some users poke fun, talk trash, and how they can take advantage of the system.
I cannot speak for others, for me It's more like that the features that are new in 8 are not worth an upgrade.
I also have no problem with the fact that a vendor wants the customer's money, this is quite natural, but to me it seems like PH wants to compensate the lack of "killer-features" in 8 with sales like this.
Last but not least waiting for the next version is not taking an advantage of the system. As I said I would pay more for an upgrade if it would contain a feature that I really want.

I would also not buy a shark-costume for my cat if it's price is reduced (for a limited time), because my cat does not want a shark-costume.

joeyluck

22 Aug 2015

Sorry y'all. I think some of you missed my point. The folks I'm speaking of are a special few. Not users who simply say that Reason 8 has nothing they want. That's fair. And not even the folks who simply say they like the features of Reason 8, but can wait for Reason 9. That's perfectly fine in any market. But it's the folks that say the latter while talking trash about Propellerhead, who say they are just trying to make a quick buck, yet at the same time bragging about the very lenient upgrade system.

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:Sorry y'all. I think some of you missed my point.

I guess I did (and still do)
joeyluck wrote:it's the folks that say the latter while talking trash about Propellerhead, who say they are just trying to make a quick buck, yet at the same time bragging about the very lenient upgrade system.
What is the 'lenient upgrade system", Joey ? Based on your earlier comment, I'm going to assume you refer to the flat-fee upgrade. To date, this is Propellerheads model, and always has been. It's neither lenient, nor is it generous - it's just how they do business. Some (and I imagine you) might think it's very generous, compared to Cubase or ProTools, where the older customers get a discount. Yet others might say the upgrade price is lousy, if comparing to Fruity Loops (lifetime free updates) or Reaper (several major release updates).

As for 'making a quick buck", Enocklight's opinion is fairly solid on this - businesses put sales on all the time. Whether it's to increase marketshare or for an injection of revenue if they need to feed their cashflow imbalances for the quarter.

Where I will disagree though, is in Propellerhead's specials over the past year. Since v8 they have shown what may be interpreted as a bit of a desperate position, because of the sheer number of campaigns. There was the few months of email spam. There was the full version free trial, a first for them. There were the incredible bundle packs. There were the gigantic new user offers of $1000 of synths with new licences (or whatever the value). Four point releases within a year. Now we have the discounted upgrade offer.

The upside of this desperate position though, is that there are some excellent savings to be had, and in the case of users who already took the leap into v8, some nice 'freebies' with the small point additions, and now the Mk2 Reverb, which I understand is an outstanding new tool for those who like to play with reverb at a more complex level.

My only ongoing concern is that if, as many interpret, these campaigns are an indicator of desperate times, is how much of a future is there for the company? With the tightly controlled RE model, it would be a grim outcome should Propellerhead cease to operate, thus removing the ability of users to re-install their plugin licences.
My Words are my ART

gak

22 Aug 2015

OldGoat wrote:
I would also not buy a shark-costume for my cat if it's price is reduced (for a limited time), because my cat does not want a shark-costume.
Not what he told me.

hydlide

22 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Since v8 they have shown what may be interpreted as a bit of a desperate position, because of the sheer number of campaigns.
I saw some really big campaign about microsoft giving away windows 10 for free. They must be deperate...

It remains a marketing thing. They just "try" stuff out to see what works, and what doesn't work. What I see with "yet another sale" thing is just another marketing trick for people who are using Rx to get on board on R8.

For most R7 or R6.5 users it may not sound that appealing to everyone, but I can think of that R4 or R5 users (who are legit) will see this as a change to upgrade to the latest versions.

And to sum it all up, I have been gathering more questions about Audio Editing since of lately (that in context with, I just upgraded from R4 to R8), so from that extend they must be doing "something" right.

But again, it is a company and they can do / take what ever road they want. If they just want to neglect the community behind it, then it is their "fault" :)

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

hydlide wrote: I saw some really big campaign about microsoft giving away windows 10 for free. They must be deperate...
Yes, Microsoft may well be desperate. They have lost browser marketshare years ago, almost nobody uses their Bing search engine (thus lost advertising revenue). Google Apps will soon signal the end of the Office suite, and I wouldn't be surprised if Google start working on a PC based OS in the near future. WIndows 10 is an attempt to bring people into the Microsoft world, in a climate where Google are set to corner the entire market.

There are perhaps sinister elements at play in Windows 10 as well. The data collection policies are very Orwellian, and in a world where private data collection is of a high value to corporate and government agencies, the 'free' offer is far from being a complimentary gift.

Advertisers will know exactly who you are
Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user on each device. That can be used by developers and ad networks to profile you. Again, you can turn this off in settings, but you need to know where to look:

Microsoft can disclose your data when it feels like it

(from the terms and conditions)

'...We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services....'
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

22 Aug 2015

Hylide, to further indicate a level of bad times for Microsoft (thus their offers), a July 2015 Business article reported:

a $7billion write off from it's Nokia acquisition
7000 people made redundant
a 10% decline in hardware sales hosting Windows OS
A 22% decline in revenue from PC makers
A decline in the sales of the Office suite for business customers by 8%
Failure to reach their forecasted profit for the last quarter

If you want to compare Propellerhead's indicators of tough times to Microsoft, then go right ahead, it only concurs with the speculation that Props are not faring well, and are relying on desperate, regular enticements over and above typical expectations of annual 'sale' periods on products.
My Words are my ART

• Information