Comp Edit mode question: nudging comp row multiple times

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jappe

12 Aug 2015

Hi all,

does anyone know the best way to nudge a comp row if you need to use more than one section of the row?

As it is now, the whole comp row will be moved when I nudge it - which makes it unusable if I need to nudge at more than one location in the comp row.

I know I can make a copy of a comp row and use the copy for the second nudge - but that seems more like a workaround than a good solution (even though copying won't increase file size)

EnochLight

12 Aug 2015

jappe wrote:Hi all,

does anyone know the best way to nudge a comp row if you need to use more than one section of the row?

As it is now, the whole comp row will be moved when I nudge it - which makes it unusable if I need to nudge at more than one location in the comp row.

I know I can make a copy of a comp row and use the copy for the second nudge - but that seems more like a workaround than a good solution (even though copying won't increase file size)
Making a copy of the comp row and razoring in the section I need to nudge is how I do it. I think this is the best method at this point, due to how comp rows are managed in general.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jappe

13 Aug 2015

Thank's Enoch, I can live with that method

selig
RE Developer

13 Aug 2015

Here's a video showing how to do what you're asking, if I'm understanding your question correctly.

It's from a tutorial I created for the Props a few years ago:
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/voca ... perfection
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

13 Aug 2015

i have grid on (usually to bar) when I shift comps rows.
Couldn't you razor the comp line and leave some parts in place?
Comping in Reason is wonderfully simple.
Selig is simply wonderful.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

jappe

13 Aug 2015

selig wrote:Here's a video showing how to do what you're asking, if I'm understanding your question correctly.
Great tutorial!
In my case I actually would like to have a feature in the Comp Editor Mode that allows me to nudge just a slice of a take - without nudging the whole take. Because most likely it's not the whole take that needs to be nudged.
But since that doesn't seem to be possible, I will workaround it by duplicating a take in the Comp Editor and nudge that one - leaving the original one untouched and ready to use for copying if I should need to do the same thing again when I'm building my clip in Comp Editor.

I guess another workaround that would be awesome would be to have the ability to quantize clips while in Comp Edit mode - unsure why that's not possible!? Manual tells me I need to bounce it to a Single Take before quantizing, and that doesn't help my workflow really.

jappe

13 Aug 2015

motuscott wrote:i have grid on (usually to bar) when I shift comps rows.
Couldn't you razor the comp line and leave some parts in place?
Comping in Reason is wonderfully simple.
Selig is simply wonderful.
Hi Motuscott,

the problem is that even if I'm razoring the comp line, still the whole take spanning all parts of my razored take will be nudged.
EDIT: This is actually wrong...the other razored clips won't be affected
So I guess it's a question of what solution will be the smoothest to use.
If I use the copy-take method, then It will look more messy if I have many takes. Right-click and select "Delete Unused Recordings" will be a nice countermeasure when I'm done.
If I use the Razor method, then I need to Open the comp editor for each part I'm working with rather than staying in the same view. Selecting Join when I'm done will clean it up; though the result will look like after the copy-take method with cloned takes.
Last edited by jappe on 13 Aug 2015, edited 4 times in total.

motuscott

13 Aug 2015

Oh well
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

jappe

13 Aug 2015

motuscott wrote:Oh well
Hmm...actually you are right and I am wrong - razoring and nudging in Part A will actually not have any impact on Part B. Thank's.

thotbott

13 Aug 2015

http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason6/Re ... mmands.pdf

razor the bit that needs nudging, use the nudge commands as you want :)

• Information