Comp Edit Mode- really confused

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 368
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

Post 11 Aug 2015

Well, I like the comp edit feature. Usually I do try to do one takes, it takes a lot of time when you are self-engineering & self-directing.

Yesterday, I did a bunch of takes of a guitar part & comped them in comp edit mode. But now, today, I am so confused. I have bounced my comp clips, but there is no waveform in the comp rows on my bounce. It only shows when selecting a clip/segment. If I join all the clips on that track, I can see the takes I chose in a stairway to the underworld. I think I bounced each clip separately & so I have, like 70 comp rows.

I am sure I'll figure it out some time, but I am fully confused at this stage.

I watched this which helped a little:


Still, I feel like the tail is wagging the dog.

mcatalao
Posts: 1027
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Aug 2015

Yeah... that's why i delete all failed takes. It gets a huge mess,

I would also recomend that you do not comp into a single take.
Reason creates comping metadata for each block. So even if you record an entire first stem, cut your blocks when you have to comp. The comp count gets down when you separate the track blocks.

I still think a punch in function would be great? As a Guitar player i think you'll agree with me...

User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 11 Aug 2015

what is punch mod ?

and where is the folder with all them takes , is this why I only got 400 go left on 1T ?
It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

mcatalao
Posts: 1027
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Aug 2015

Charly, what i meant is automatic punch in is a function in most daws where the daw starts recording automatically at the left locator. It will usually also punch out at the right locator.

As for your disk quota usage, you should check your If your reason temp folder is full. Reason has consolidated project files that store both midi and audio information inside, butif your project is saved, you can delete the files that are not used.

User avatar
jappe
Posts: 2212
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 13 Aug 2015

syncanonymous wrote:Well, I like the comp edit feature. Usually I do try to do one takes, it takes a lot of time when you are self-engineering & self-directing.

Yesterday, I did a bunch of takes of a guitar part & comped them in comp edit mode. But now, today, I am so confused. I have bounced my comp clips, but there is no waveform in the comp rows on my bounce. It only shows when selecting a clip/segment. If I join all the clips on that track, I can see the takes I chose in a stairway to the underworld. I think I bounced each clip separately & so I have, like 70 comp rows.

I am sure I'll figure it out some time, but I am fully confused at this stage.

I watched this which helped a little:


Still, I feel like the tail is wagging the dog.
Hi sync,
If I was to recommend one single feature for which to read the manual,it would be Comp Edit.
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... elp-files/

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7998
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Aug 2015

I speak about comp edit mode in this Propellerheads Tutorial, if you're looking for more ways to understand this feature (text and graphics and videos included - something for everyone!):
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/voca ... perfection
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 368
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

Post 20 Aug 2015

jappe wrote: Hi sync,
If I was to recommend one single feature for which to read the manual,it would be Comp Edit.
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... elp-files/
Hi Jappe,
thanks for helping. Before posting here, I had read the manual over & over for comp edit mode; then using step by step process using the manual, too. I find the descriptions really lacking, it doesn't truly cover ALL the steps & it does assume a bit too much, too. Following the instructions was not giving the results expected by what was being described, so I posted here.

I did finish my track, but just lived with the bloated extra comp row takes and unclear bounced takes. My song sounds right, but it is bloated. I am sorry, but propellerhead really should do a better job explaining comp edit mode.

I have moved on to dialogue mixing in another prog for the foreseeable, so I'll have to do more research and testing before going back to music makin:-)

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 368
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

Post 20 Aug 2015

selig wrote:I speak about comp edit mode in this Propellerheads Tutorial, if you're looking for more ways to understand this feature (text and graphics and videos included - something for everyone!):
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/voca ... perfection
Thanks Selig,
I understand the techniques described in the video and am able to perform them. There was no bounce at the end of the video essentially saying: set loop points>razor>audition+choose take>repeat as you move up the timeline, so bounce didn't get explained. I am essentially wanting to bounce the comp to trim the session which is mainly what I don't understand. Following the Reason manual I eventually bounced every clip one at a time and ended up a massive pyramid. Selecting all the clips doesn't let me bounce at all. Selecting a single clip>bounce will bounce the current comp, but doesn't trim the session and the only clip shown in the bounced comp row is the clip which was selected once bounced. Essentially, there is no point to bouncing beyond giving single clip editing functionality (like slice editing). So I will have to experiment when the deadlines are off to understand the functionality better.

As far as comping letters and syllables, I typically like to move slice groups rather than entire timed sounds because I like the way reason handles audio slices.

Again, I find the Reason manual lacking here. I'd rather see a function-specific tutorial or explanation rather than teaching users entire audio engineering/ mixing techniques.

Thanks for always being so generous with your time, it is greatly appreciated.

_todd

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 7998
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 20 Aug 2015

syncanonymous wrote:
selig wrote:I speak about comp edit mode in this Propellerheads Tutorial, if you're looking for more ways to understand this feature (text and graphics and videos included - something for everyone!):
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/voca ... perfection
Thanks Selig,
I understand the techniques described in the video and am able to perform them. There was no bounce at the end of the video essentially saying: set loop points>razor>audition+choose take>repeat as you move up the timeline, so bounce didn't get explained. I am essentially wanting to bounce the comp to trim the session which is mainly what I don't understand. Following the Reason manual I eventually bounced every clip one at a time and ended up a massive pyramid. Selecting all the clips doesn't let me bounce at all. Selecting a single clip>bounce will bounce the current comp, but doesn't trim the session and the only clip shown in the bounced comp row is the clip which was selected once bounced. Essentially, there is no point to bouncing beyond giving single clip editing functionality (like slice editing). So I will have to experiment when the deadlines are off to understand the functionality better.

As far as comping letters and syllables, I typically like to move slice groups rather than entire timed sounds because I like the way reason handles audio slices.

Again, I find the Reason manual lacking here. I'd rather see a function-specific tutorial or explanation rather than teaching users entire audio engineering/ mixing techniques.

Thanks for always being so generous with your time, it is greatly appreciated.

_todd
It may not be the lack of good tutorials or examples in the User Guide - it could turn out that the way Reason approaches editing just isn't working for the way you prefer to work!

For example, I still find vocal and dialog editing to be far easier in Pro Tools than in Reason, especially for sliding edits without moving the edit points and creating batch crossfades etc. I just don't think you need a modal approach for editing in the first place, and am constantly wishing I could simply copy/paste an audio clip and then crossfade the edit without leaving the main timeline. And I also wish all editing was more consistent between audio and note tracks - as one example, I would like "lanes" for audio tracks and loop record "takes" and "comping" for note tracks.

Despite having created that tutorial on Comp Mode for the Props, and having even receiving compliments from members of the Props team for explaining it clearly, it still remains a bit clunky to my way of thinking. Besides the unnecessary modal approach for audio editing, the simple fact that editing in Reason is not "selection based" and is instead "clip based" means you must first razor your selection into a clip before you can do simple things like copy/paste or move it. There still seem to be so many extra steps when editing in Reason for both audio and note tracks, which makes working at high speeds more difficult than it should be IMO. But I also realize Reason isn't directly aimed at the pro editing market - still, I can't help but think that even a casual user would appreciate a more efficient and simpler workflow IMO, right?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 368
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

Post 31 Aug 2015

Selig,
Thanks for this reply:)
It is definitely a gear change going from one progs workflow to another. For me, it is mostly Reason 8.2 and Saw Studio Lite and some adobe progs.
The learning just never goes away. Like recording dialogue. I've been at this audio game for quite a while and still learning curves seem constant.

I have always enjoyed Reason & will continue to joyfully write and record compositions with it. Clearly, I just do not yet fully understand Comp Edit mode :-) That's ok, I am sure I will get into a deeper understanding of Comp Edit mode on my next composition. Personally, I really can't imagine editing, mixing/ mastering dialogue in Reason. Dialogue is taking up more and more of my time nowadays & is an altogether different animal from music, for sure. It is more than half of what I do day to day. I haven't used PT since vers 6.8 a few years back, Saw is just soooo fast to open and quit (10sec, tops). Last time I used PT (in 2010?) it took 45-90sec to launch & the same to quit. I love how Saw has all automation params in one layer...anyway, it's like you say: workflow. Reason just needs a couple more things to make it really great, IMO. But that is all digression of this thread so I will stop. I am sure I'll be back asking about Comp Edit mode again soon, and offering my own idea of "how to" :-)

ellisroby43
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Oct 2019

Post 09 Oct 2019

This is confusing me i am doing fine all the way up until your using the razor tool. Everything will work as i want it to but then when i am in comp mode and i am trying to use the razor to cut something it doesnt show the razor cursor as it should?? Please help if you can.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Ears and 2 guests