Seeking Resolution: Forum Rules

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

08 Aug 2015

I'm not really sure where to put this, I requested clarification from Lunesis himself via PM but never got a response.

A while ago before I applied to be a Remote developer, I asked Propellerhead about my work.

I told them that up until that time I had put in an enormous amount of hours developing codec scripts aimed at adding features using Reason's remote overrides. I told them that I feared signing up because I thought it meant I would never be able to share my work and my findings with anyone else. I also said that I felt it would be a harsh stance to take on the matter if legal action could be taken against me for seeking to educate people in the research I had done.

The response I got was initially from Mats Karlof, but later extended to Ludvig Carlson. Mats said he was pleased I asked in advance and that they would approve of my tutorials should I make them. In other words, in my case they would be willing to work with me on it.

Lunesis and other heads of this forum can confirm this with them, my developer ID is Raveshaper. I'm just curious if my ability to educate includes being able to link to my tutorials in threads on this board once their made, or only through material that is officially released through the company. I'll get clarification on my end.

Hopefully, I'll be able to teach the black magic Remote stuff you can't find articles about!
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Raveshaper

08 Aug 2015

Re-read the answers to my questions in the email, there is no requirement to go through official channels.

They did, however, offer to highlight my videos through their official channels.

Olivier

08 Aug 2015

Hi QwaizanG.
First of all i think its really cool you want to share what you've learned on this regard. I know i'm looking forward to reading it.

I think that especially if it means that you get some kind of special permission to reveal things that are otherwise may or may not be under NDA, it would indeed be nice for us to know of the deal you made with the guys at Propellerhead on that regard if you are using the forum as publishing platform of that information. Once you have the clarification you need please contact me via pm so we can work out the finer details in privacy. Especially if it means sharing private communication you had with props.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

ScuzzyEye

08 Aug 2015

I always figured, since non-compiled codecs are user installable, and user editable, anything in them is free to be discussed. What's more restricted are the Remote developer tools, and their uses. Those are not available to general users, so providing open tutorials for them is pointless anyway.

If you want to explain how to use and edit the files you provide to end users, that should be fine.

Just my 2¢, in an effort to provide a few more details to the forum mods, who may not be aware of what does and doesn't require the Remote dev tools.

Olivier

08 Aug 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:I always figured, since non-compiled codecs are user installable, and user editable, anything in them is free to be discussed. What's more restricted are the Remote developer tools, and their uses. Those are not available to general users, so providing open tutorials for them is pointless anyway.

If you want to explain how to use and edit the files you provide to end users, that should be fine.

Just my 2¢, in an effort to provide a few more details to the forum mods, who may not be aware of what does and doesn't require the Remote dev tools.
I'm registered dev myself and i look at this like you do.
But i can imagine that for tutorials, if you want to explain inner workings, and the best way to do this is by giving the kind of information that you would usually get from an API, then i can understand its a bit of a grey area. At least to me it would be in such a case. So i welcome the transparency QwaizanG is creating with his post :)

Raveshaper

09 Aug 2015

Alright, I'll take this to PM.

I don't anticipate describing any sort of extremely deep inner workings, such as API level code or anything (does that even apply to Remote anyway?).

Olivier

09 Aug 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Alright, I'll take this to PM.

I don't anticipate describing any sort of extremely deep inner workings, such as API level code or anything (does that even apply to Remote anyway?).
PM Sent. Looking forward to your articles on the subject :)

• Information