Where Are The Reason 8 Highlights?!?!!!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ClassickHitz

03 Aug 2015

As a long time Reason user this is the first version that I haven't seen much fanfare related material dedicated to Reason 8.

Where are all the Tip&Tricks?

Why hasn't Propellerhead released Micro Tutorials via YouTube showcasing what R8 is all about?

It's been almost a year with three updates since the new release and I haven't seen anything that has generated a real strong buzz of excitement.

I'm curious for those of you who have taken the plunge into R8, if you exclude the obvious such as Drag&Drop and the new MkII Reverb.
what are the no turning back highlight points of this version?

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Aug 2015

These are what I think of off hand:

Drag & Drop is good. Much better than I expected in fact. Makes swapping units or patches a breeze - not sold now on having Browser on both of my monitors as they default to On so I have to start every session by turning them off.

Re-Sizing Notes from the front is very useful. Double click to add/remove is also sometimes useful (or annoying).

Seeing default Automation value is something I wanted for a while so that is good.

RV-7000 Mk II is nice to have - depends how much use you find convolution.

Drop to Discover is not really for me but I have used it a few times.

I have used the Amp Sims a few times but still gravitate back to Scream. If you understand guitar amps then I think you would like them better.

Really I think that overall Version 8 has been a good upgrade and the extra point updates that have been flowing out are all improvements (except perhaps the Browsers defaulting On on both windows). I don't regret the purchase at all.

As for videos etc, they were there on the Props site (and YouTube etc), so probably still are.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jfrichards

04 Aug 2015

ClassickHitz wrote:...what are the no turning back highlight points of this version?
We're not going to tell you. :silent:

Gaja

04 Aug 2015

Benedict, can't you just make a template with them defaulting to off?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

joeyluck

04 Aug 2015

By the way, the new video on the RV7000 MkII is my new favorite video by Ryan...and that says a lot since they are all so great.
Honestly, I feel like he makes some of the snazziest, most concise and comprehensive videos out there.

I got history on reverb, a nice segue into convolution, an outline of the new RV7000 MkII, and a how-to on creating my own impulse responses in 8 minutes. And for some folks I know in the live sound business who aren't too familiar with convolution reverb—this is the video I show them.

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2015

Gaja wrote:Benedict, can't you just make a template with them defaulting to off?
Good idea but it still opens the Browsers (both of them - lucky I don't have 4 monitors :lol: ). Reason assumes I want them. I don't - at least till I do want them that is.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Gaja

04 Aug 2015

Ah shoot.
Well it's not quite convenient,but certainly no biggie, like Theo is encountering...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

craven

04 Aug 2015

I really like the new zoom to clip feature (z), as it saves a lot of scrolling! That alone makes Reason 8 worthwhile. Together with the other features, it became a sound update IMO.
:ugeek:

jfrichards

04 Aug 2015

Benedict wrote:
Gaja wrote:Benedict, can't you just make a template with them defaulting to off?
Good idea but it still opens the Browsers (both of them - lucky I don't have 4 monitors :lol: ). Reason assumes I want them. I don't - at least till I do want them that is.

Benny, you can save your startup template song with both browsers closed.

hydlide

04 Aug 2015

ClassickHitz wrote: if you exclude the obvious such as Drag&Drop and the new MkII Reverb.
if you exclude those (including the new browser window) you basically have Reason 7 :mrgreen:

ClassickHitz

04 Aug 2015

hydlide wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote: if you exclude the obvious such as Drag&Drop and the new MkII Reverb.
if you exclude those (including the new browser window) you basically have Reason 7 :mrgreen:

This was actually what I was kind of afraid of...

Thinking I might have to demo 8 in order to see the other features in action because there are no helpful examples available that cover this in detail.

Adding extra colors and left-hand Midi drag are pretty self explanatory but I definitely want to see the better updated functionality that's been added to Drag&Drop since Beta thru 8.3.

I guess what I've been longing for more than anything are Tips&Tricks that have been missing the past year. One thing about Reason is there's always something to learn especially with new releases and updates.

Certainly Propellerhead hasn't hit a wall when it comes providing the best of Reason's power. Although I'm just curious to why that seems to be the case lately especially since the release of R8.

I can't be the only one feeling this way.

ClassickHitz

04 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:

This is my case and point: It's been almost a year with three updates since the new release and I haven't seen anything that has generated a real strong buzz of excitement.

joeyluck

04 Aug 2015

I don't get it. I posted a video that outlines features of Reason 8 that was posted a year ago and a video posted recently outlining tips of using the new RV7000 MkII. Not sure what you are looking for...

ClassickHitz

04 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:I don't get it. I posted a video that outlines features of Reason 8 that was posted a year ago and a video posted recently outlining tips of using the new RV7000 MkII. Not sure what you are looking for...
sorry, for some reason my reply was supposed to caption the first video but ended up on the RV7000 MkII vid link instead.

What I was trying to say is the year ago vid you submitted first is one of about 3 (if that) showing what R8 is about. Exclude the MkII link and we're talking about 10+months of 'zero dark thirty' regarding R8 and what it has to offer. That's pretty sparse imo.

I subscribe to Propellerhead's Youtube channel, I follow on Instagram and on Twitter. Yet there isn't anything out there showcasing R8's benefits.

One video from Propellerhead since R8's release then the RV7000 MkII a week ago. You're kidding right?

I'm not even seeing anything from others showing the new greatness of what R8 can do. This is one of the main issues I have with upgrading. Don't get me wrong this is purely on me but I just can't upgrade because it's available with no tangible features to warrant it.

Keep in mind I'm open to being enlightened on what I'm missing here. If there's someone who can show me why R8 deserves a clear cut no look back update from R7 I'm all ears :puf_smile: :puf_smile:

joeyluck

04 Aug 2015

ClassickHitz wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I don't get it. I posted a video that outlines features of Reason 8 that was posted a year ago and a video posted recently outlining tips of using the new RV7000 MkII. Not sure what you are looking for...
sorry, for some reason my reply was supposed to caption the first video but ended up on the RV7000 MkII vid link instead.

What I was trying to say is the year ago vid you submitted first is one of about 3 (if that) showing what R8 is about. Exclude the MkII link and we're talking about 10+months of 'zero dark thirty' regarding R8 and what it has to offer. That's pretty sparse imo.

I subscribe to Propellerhead's Youtube channel, I follow on Instagram and on Twitter. Yet there isn't anything out there showcasing R8's benefits.

One video from Propellerhead since R8's release then the RV7000 MkII a week ago. You're kidding right?

I'm not even seeing anything from others showing the new greatness of what R8 can do. This is one of the main issues I have with upgrading. Don't get me wrong this is purely on me but I just can't upgrade because it's available with no tangible features to warrant it.

Keep in mind I'm open to being enlightened on what I'm missing here. If there's someone who can show me why R8 deserves a clear cut no look back update from R7 I'm all ears :puf_smile: :puf_smile:
Gotcha. Well, for me it's the RV7000 MkII and the drag and drop feature and new browser (the things that don't seem to sway you).

The browser really does make a world of difference for me. It is snappier and I feel I am discovering more with it. I realize now how much of an interruption the other browser was before. Building my own kits (Kong and Redrum) before was uninviting—and I rarely did it. Now I'm getting more creative.

I like the zoom feature and being able to edit note lengths from either end. I don't really use the Softube amps, but they are nice. Mostly for me it was the RV7000 MkII. $129 now for that reverb is money better spent than on some other effect REs I have my eye on. Even if folks end up having the same tool included in Reason 9 maybe 6 months - 1 year from now (who knows when), I would rather have it now.

If a convolution reverb had appeared in the shop (be it, sample loading would have to be possible), I would have been willing to pay a little more than the upgrade price for it. So, again, I'm pretty happy with the RV7000 MkII and the other features are the icing on the cake.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

04 Aug 2015

jfrichards wrote:
Benedict wrote:

Benny, you can save your startup template song with both browsers closed.
Agree. This was the first thing I did when I got Reason 8.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

04 Aug 2015

For me the most useful feature is MIDI focus in the Rack. If this came with 8.0 instead of 8.3 I'd have updated a lot earlier.

ClassickHitz

04 Aug 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:For me the most useful feature is MIDI focus in the Rack. If this came with 8.0 instead of 8.3 I'd have updated a lot earlier.
You see this is something that I'll have to check out in the demo. It's also a feature I'm thinking should be given more of a highlight especially since it was an 8.3 update.

It's time for some Micro Tutorials from Props asap!

hydlide

04 Aug 2015

joeyluck wrote:
If a convolution reverb had appeared in the shop (be it, sample loading would have to be possible), I would have been willing to pay a little more than the upgrade price for it. So, again, I'm pretty happy with the RV7000 MkII and the other features are the icing on the cake.
there was a convolution reverb added to the shop a couple of month ago. and serious (just being blunt and direct as I can be) it sucked.

joeyluck

04 Aug 2015

hydlide wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
there was a convolution reverb added to the shop a couple of month ago. and serious (just being blunt and direct as I can be) it sucked.
Oh yeah the Numerical Sound ones? There's a couple. But what I meant was one that can load impulses. On that note, curious if Numerical Sound will instead market their impulses rather than male REs.

raymondh

04 Aug 2015

All great points.

I think Reason 8 still has some "half implemented" improvements. For example the search in the Browser would be killer if it was fast (it's not, and I'm using SSDs). And in the sequencer view, you need to right-click and choose Browse to 'focus' the browser on the track - but when you do, it means you don't have to go to the rack.

Generally - Reason 8 is great, top workflow feature for me is being able to navigate the browser and change patches while being able to do everything else - like using Transport bar. That was a R7 frustration
Drag and Drop is excellent - especially for dropping in audio files/clips, but also for instruments and patches.
MIDI focus within the rack is excellent too.

And with the cosmetic visual changes, I think Reason 8 feels ' fresh'. Purely subjective opinion of course.

mbfrancis

05 Aug 2015

For me it's all of the above but most of all *browser speed*. The new browser allows me to go through my refill and loop library much more quickly, almost as fast as the Windows Explorer. I would wait 10-15 seconds for a folder to open...unbelievable.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

freeQlow

06 Aug 2015

If "workflow" is in your vocabulary, those are the biggest updates.

They are so on the surface they're hard to miss.

I guess saying it has a new GUI that is easier than ever to take advantage of by Speeding up the "creative" process and improving workflow.

Faster, Easier, Improved IMO.

Where are the English editors?

EnochLight

06 Aug 2015

freeQlow wrote: Where are the English editors?
;)

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information