Windows 10 compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jchop76

14 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:No official statement from Propellerhead yet, as they typically don't test new OS until the OS in question goes retail. That said, I haven't had any trouble on Win 10 with Reason or Balance. Been running for several weeks now.

EnochLight. Was thinking of updating to Windows 10. I also use Balance and Nektar Panorama P4.

Did you do the Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 or did you do a Fresh Install of W10? I was worried about the balance driver not working in Windows 10 and the Nektar P4 not working.

EnochLight

14 Aug 2015

Jchop76 wrote:
EnochLight wrote:No official statement from Propellerhead yet, as they typically don't test new OS until the OS in question goes retail. That said, I haven't had any trouble on Win 10 with Reason or Balance. Been running for several weeks now.

EnochLight. Was thinking of updating to Windows 10. I also use Balance and Nektar Panorama P4.

Did you do the Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 or did you do a Fresh Install of W10? I was worried about the balance driver not working in Windows 10 and the Nektar P4 not working.
I did the "upgrade" path from Win 8.1 to 10. Was probably the most painless OS update I've ever done in my life (and that's 2 decades of using personal computers since Windows 95)!

I will say this: Panorama P4 works fine, and Balace works OK for the most part - but I do occasionally crash Balance if I try accessing the ASIO Control Panel from programs other than Reason (I can reliably crash Balance from Studioi One if I try to change buffer settings via Studio One, requiring an OS restart to restore normal functionality).

I'm happy overall, though. I won't go back to 8.1.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

submonsterz

14 Aug 2015

Enoch what program files had to be re installed after the update ? I haven't read if you did plain update or a full reinstall .

Soft Enerji

14 Aug 2015

Going a little off topic here. Has anyone NOT had the 'get windows 10" icon appear on their pc? It showed up on my laptop but I can't get it to appear on my desktop, and I've tried everything I can find on the net that's supposed to fix the issue. Both machines are running genuine 7 Pro, the only difference would be that the desktop is a custom build and came with an OEM package.

Iapetus 9

14 Aug 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:Going a little off topic here. Has anyone NOT had the 'get windows 10" icon appear on their pc? It showed up on my laptop but I can't get it to appear on my desktop, and I've tried everything I can find on the net that's supposed to fix the issue. Both machines are running genuine 7 Pro, the only difference would be that the desktop is a custom build and came with an OEM package.
I had that same problem with my custom PC. I solved it by updating everything Win7...including Internet Explorer LOL. Worked for me, got the Win10 icon. There is a Microsoft Win10 help tool here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
38L > 51D every time.

gak

14 Aug 2015

I have 4 computers, and do mom and dads. Theirs and both my lappies have been in request for 9 days now and are still "notify me when ready" :?

gak

15 Aug 2015

I'll tell you what. I'm having browser issues :evil:

I really don't know if it's 10 or that this computer isn't set up as slick as the big boy. I'll do some research in the manual/online but it's not right.

For example, I cannot always get refills under win10 to show what they have in them. However, I'm running into some errors with folders and the like. At this time I do not know if I'm being bone-headed or if there is actually an issue with win 10.

zakalwe

15 Aug 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:Going a little off topic here. Has anyone NOT had the 'get windows 10" icon appear on their pc? It showed up on my laptop but I can't get it to appear on my desktop, and I've tried everything I can find on the net that's supposed to fix the issue. Both machines are running genuine 7 Pro, the only difference would be that the desktop is a custom build and came with an OEM package.
it could be hidden.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-get-windows-10 ... n-taskbar/

try that. i had reinstalled 7 in the meantime and went thorugh all kids of registry fixes and that finally did it (not sure if the other thigns i did were necessary)

gak

15 Aug 2015

Had an older kinda related thread on this I'm looking up. But since I found this I'll double up my odds and ask that is there an issue with having an external drive with the refills located there and reason not showing the refills/folders properly? Like double clicking on a refill and having nothing come up to choose from? I seem to have to put those refills/files on my hard drive (like documents) and THEN I can add and it will be fine.

:?

EDITED, I didn't mean to have the quote that was there.
Last edited by gak on 15 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

raymondh

15 Aug 2015

For anyone interested, here's info I sent Focusrite on the issues I'm experiencing:

>>>
- I switched from Focusrite's ASIO driver to ASIO4ALL v2.12 and the clicking and popping reduced significantly, though not completely.
- I re installed the new beta 3.2.2 drivers, and found (with my Scarlett 18i8):

Propellerhead Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.2 + ASIO4ALL v2.12 = works, with some minor clicks and pops
Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.2 + Scarlett MixControl 1.9b10 / Focusrite ASIO = not working (Reason disables it)
Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.1 (I think) + Scarlett MixControl 1.9b10 / Focusrite ASIO = works but lots of clicks and pops.

Increasing the # buffers / latency does not have a significant effect on the clicking and popping. Similarly, a single DAW track routing an input from my synth into the DAW and back out, is enough to create the crackling and popping.

With ASIO4ALL v2.12, I am getting stable performance at 112 samples, input latency of 4ms and output latency of 3ms.
>>>

zakalwe

16 Aug 2015

raymondh wrote:For anyone interested, here's info I sent Focusrite on the issues I'm experiencing:

>>>
- I switched from Focusrite's ASIO driver to ASIO4ALL v2.12 and the clicking and popping reduced significantly, though not completely.

Propellerhead Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.2 + ASIO4ALL v2.12 = works, with some minor clicks and pops
Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.2 + Scarlett MixControl 1.9b10 / Focusrite ASIO = not working (Reason disables it)
Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.1 (I think) + Scarlett MixControl 1.9b10 / Focusrite ASIO = works but lots of clicks and pops.

Increasing the # buffers / latency does not have a significant effect on the clicking and popping. Similarly, a single DAW track routing an input from my synth into the DAW and back out, is enough to create the crackling and popping.

With ASIO4ALL v2.12, I am getting stable performance at 112 samples, input latency of 4ms and output latency of 3ms.
>>>
yeah i've found ASIO4ALL allows for lower latencies in windows compared to the focusrite driver as well. the downside is it's exclusive and locks out other apps from using audio.

i can get my saffire 6 to work with a 128 sample buffer (41.1/24) in 10, which is good enough for me but if i run OSX on the same system i can use a 64 sample buffer. i haven't tried ASIO4ALL on 10 as i'm pretty happy with that but i got it down to a 80 sample buffer (48/24) with it on windows 7 and i had real problems getting the ASIO driver to work with small buffers at all on 7.

Soft Enerji

17 Aug 2015

Iapetus 9 wrote:I had that same problem with my custom PC. I solved it by updating everything Win7...including Internet Explorer LOL. Worked for me, got the Win10 icon. There is a Microsoft Win10 help tool here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
Tried this all again and still nothing. Thanks for the link I'll check it out later.

Soft Enerji

17 Aug 2015

zakalwe wrote: it could be hidden.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-get-windows-10 ... n-taskbar/

try that. i had reinstalled 7 in the meantime and went thorugh all kids of registry fixes and that finally did it (not sure if the other thigns i did were necessary)
Nah not hidden either. The GWX exe is inside the GWX foilder in System 32 but it does nothing when I click on it. I really don't wanna start screwing with the registry. While I'm reasonably tech savvy, I don't pretend to be an expert. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous ;)

Another side note to you Cheradenine. I just finished re-reading Use Of Weapons. One of Banks' best, although they are all fantastic imho.

Cheers

Mark

zakalwe

17 Aug 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:Nah not hidden either. The GWX exe is inside the GWX foilder in System 32 but it does nothing when I click on it. I really don't wanna start screwing with the registry. While I'm reasonably tech savvy, I don't pretend to be an expert. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous ;)

Another side note to you Cheradenine. I just finished re-reading Use Of Weapons. One of Banks' best, although they are all fantastic imho.

Cheers

Mark
it is. I'm working my way through the last two now and he pops up again i hear!

I just did a fresh install of 10 after repartitioning and... it won't activate. :mrgreen: so i'm grinding through windows 7 SP1 install and then do it all again. fun times.

Soft Enerji

18 Aug 2015

Enjoy those "fun times" :puf_smile: and yes.........he does........

EnochLight

18 Aug 2015

submonsterz wrote:Enoch what program files had to be re installed after the update ? I haven't read if you did plain update or a full reinstall .
Absolutely none. My computer restarted once after the update, booted to my desktop, and everything ran like normal (except for my aforementioned issue with Balance in Studio One). I did the plain update.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

submonsterz

18 Aug 2015

EnochLight wrote:
submonsterz wrote:Enoch what program files had to be re installed after the update ? I haven't read if you did plain update or a full reinstall .
Absolutely none. My computer restarted once after the update, booted to my desktop, and everything ran like normal (except for my aforementioned issue with Balance in Studio One). I did the plain update.
nice thank you :).
I`ve never done an upgrade before ever !!
all ways clean installs I might take the plunge
after I make an image of me system disk in case it goes wonky but if none of my programs need reinstalling etc etc then hopefully be a breezy upgrade had win 10 on one of my other machines and notebook but both were fresh installs .

paulm0000

19 Aug 2015

im going in for it now , see you on the other side guys

submonsterz

19 Aug 2015

paulm0000 wrote:im going in for it now , see you on the other side guys
mr brave lol are you doing a fresh install or an upgrade if up grade let me know how it went for ya and how intact it left your system please enoch said his went smooth nothing amiss just balance or something driver .

paulm0000

19 Aug 2015

Alright submonsterz,

Just simply upgrade path, full install is not necessary at moment

took a fair old while to install, must of watched 8 episodes of Vsauce, everything went well install wise, i did uncheck all the data sending permissions though.

Two issues :

saffire 6 , for some reason wouldnt work with new beta drivers or lastest window 8s lastest drivers , so had to run old drivers in windows 8 compatible mode to get computer to recognize it, was abit of a worry for a second as I,ve only had it a week :( , panic over. :D

Now reason is s giving audio damage error

and is making me log in each time but these are minor issues.

I think win 10 is doing awful lot in back ground , my menu bar keeps flashing

Iapetus 9

24 Aug 2015

More Win10 telemetry news for those who care. It sure is awful busy behind the scenes.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... microsoft/

Also, some rather good tips from the Major...if you haven't done the update yet.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/wi ... grade.html
38L > 51D every time.

jonheal

26 Aug 2015

raymondh wrote:For anyone interested, here's info I sent Focusrite on the issues I'm experiencing:

>>>

>>>
Focusrite has beta Windows 10 drivers you can try, as well:

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/wind ... patibility
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

raymondh

08 Sep 2015

jonheal wrote:

>>>

>>>
Focusrite has beta Windows 10 drivers you can try, as well:

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/wind ... patibility
Yes the drivers above are the beta drivers.

eox

16 Sep 2015

>>>

>>>
I have the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and I've had nothing but audio dropouts as well as pops and clicks since upgrading to windows 10. I noticed you mentioned USB 3.2.2 & 3.2.1. I was curious as to what you meant or how you got those drivers exactly?

Reason being, I'm running an i7 3770k OC'd 4.5 ghz with 16 gigs of 21333 MHz ram on a Asus sabertooth z77 and I'm not seeing any drivers released by Asus for windows 10 in regards to USB. Latencymon was showing USBPORT.sys to be a big culprit to high DPC. Weirdly enough, if I disconnect my Focusrite from the machine, the USBPORT.sys driver goes way down, to like 15 from 100 DPC.

Should I be using ASIO4all instead of the ASIO drivers by Focusrite? I'm working on a project with only a kong, a few rv7000's rewired into Reaper in which I'm using a single instance of zebra2 and I can't play the project without cracks/pops/ and complete audio drop outs with a buffer size at 256 samples using the Focusrite audio drivers. Which my machine is only at like 25-30%. This can be a little frustrating

submonsterz

16 Sep 2015

I took the plunge eventually last week I think it was and after stripping all the crap out of win 10 . I only have one issue audio wise which is no biggy just need to change audio settings for web or media players they will only work on 48 and I use 48 in daw. if I need to be previewing or browsing at same time and have the source playing while daw loaded its not biggy just switch up to 48 then back after ill suss it eventually I thought it was same as the win 7 thing with my audio card its an old emu 18/20 but its not I tried all I did to get it playing nice in win 7 and wont change a thing on that.
but everything works a treat other than that one issue. ohh other than rebirth will not run in win 10 no matter what I try no compatibility modes work or nothing .

• Information