Windows 10 compatibility

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
raymondh

16 Sep 2015

eox wrote:
raymondh wrote:For anyone interested, here's info I sent Focusrite on the issues I'm experiencing:

>>>
- I switched from Focusrite's ASIO driver to ASIO4ALL v2.12 and the clicking and popping reduced significantly, though not completely.
- I re installed the new beta 3.2.2 drivers, and found (with my Scarlett 18i8):

Propellerhead Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.2 + ASIO4ALL v2.12 = works, with some minor clicks and pops
Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.2 + Scarlett MixControl 1.9b10 / Focusrite ASIO = not working (Reason disables it)
Reason 8.3 + USB 3.2.1 (I think) + Scarlett MixControl 1.9b10 / Focusrite ASIO = works but lots of clicks and pops.

Increasing the # buffers / latency does not have a significant effect on the clicking and popping. Similarly, a single DAW track routing an input from my synth into the DAW and back out, is enough to create the crackling and popping.

With ASIO4ALL v2.12, I am getting stable performance at 112 samples, input latency of 4ms and output latency of 3ms.
>>>
I have the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and I've had nothing but audio dropouts as well as pops and clicks since upgrading to windows 10. I noticed you mentioned USB 3.2.2 & 3.2.1. I was curious as to what you meant or how you got those drivers exactly?

Reason being, I'm running an i7 3770k OC'd 4.5 ghz with 16 gigs of 21333 MHz ram on a Asus sabertooth z77 and I'm not seeing any drivers released by Asus for windows 10 in regards to USB. Latencymon was showing USBPORT.sys to be a big culprit to high DPC. Weirdly enough, if I disconnect my Focusrite from the machine, the USBPORT.sys driver goes way down, to like 15 from 100 DPC.

Should I be using ASIO4all instead of the ASIO drivers by Focusrite? I'm working on a project with only a kong, a few rv7000's rewired into Reaper in which I'm using a single instance of zebra2 and I can't play the project without cracks/pops/ and complete audio drop outs with a buffer size at 256 samples using the Focusrite audio drivers. Which my machine is only at like 25-30%. This can be a little frustrating
All the problems I experienced are fixed, and yours can be too :)

Bottom line:
Turn off your audio interface
Uninstall the focusrite beta mixcontrol drivers
Uninstall the focusrite beta USB drivers
Reboot your PC
Go to the focusrite main download page, and download the latest windows 8 released drivers
Install them
Turn your interface back on

How did you go?

I had to do some other back-door things under the instruction of Focusrite tech support because the beta drivers had updated the firmware in my 18i8, but you may not need to...

ezelkow1

16 Sep 2015

^

I had the same issues initially on windows 10 when I had been running the beta drivers on windows 8. Uninstalled all the focusrite drivers, reinstalled with the official ones, everything has been fine since then

elMisse

23 Sep 2015

ezelkow1 wrote:^

I had the same issues initially on windows 10 when I had been running the beta drivers on windows 8. Uninstalled all the focusrite drivers, reinstalled with the official ones, everything has been fine since then
No probs with betadrivers and win10 here. Just installed the beta-software (with fw-update) first. Then the beta usb-driver.
Reboot and ok.

Straight after win10 upgrade, I had pops etc. with my 18l8 and official drivers/sw.

Lähetetty minun SM-T800 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

gak

02 Oct 2015

I take back everything nice I had to say about win 10 :x

W/O any warning, it updated, RESTARTED, and is now acting very strangely.

Understand people complaining about this now. Totally unacceptable.

gak

02 Oct 2015

Nightmare. Still don't have a clue.

Made sure my songs were backed up and then did a fresh install.

BTW, do you have to do a "sync my system" every time or can you d/l and backup the RE's?

gak

02 Oct 2015

After coming back into this computer/music room the computer had restarted.

The fans were out of control, it wouldn't accept my net key, and performance was sluggish. I tried changing the bios to stock, nothing.

What I did today was a clean install. PITA, but everything was backed up. Haven't opened older projects yet but the fan whining seems to have stopped for now. What I mean by fan whining is the CPU fan was constantly speeding up and the HD light on the front of my corsair case was flicking like crazy.

Still don't know if it was a driver, the update, a hardware issue. The reason I was so pissed/freaked is because we were having the "discussion" at gearslutz about the way win10 updates and how it could bork your system so easy, and I was defending the doze side :x Live and learn.

With all the issues I've had in the last few months I'm really worried that though the win10 update system is NOT COOL, it's not entirely related to that.

At this point in time, I think I need to SSD my older computer and work with that.

raymondh

03 Oct 2015

Gosh that's extreme. Really surprised that a Windows could do that - but if a clean install fixed it then you're right - must have been a driver problem or something.

I had troubles early on with Win 10, driver issues with focusrite, but all sorted now and stable.

Hope everything stays stable for you too!

gak

03 Oct 2015

I agree that it's hard to believe it would be windows BUT we just had that conversation at another thread and it was was frightening. Plus, I've had some weird issues when win10 does update so I know it's not the same as before. AND, to add, windows did have an "installed new updates" when I logged on after it's "automatic" restart.

Clearly, win10 doesn't handles crashes like 7 did (with the screen that asked if you wanted to restart normally, etc)

Also, with a cooler head, I did change the soundcard in the last few days. LLS, it's completely possible it was that (but I have no way of knowing) and I'm not even sure it was on (I usually power it down when not using it)

jonheal

11 Nov 2015

I finally bit the bullet and installed the Windows 10 upgrade. I am sorry for the folks who have had troubles, but considering the age of my computer and sheer bulk of weird stuff I have running, the upgrade went amazingly smoothly. I am very impressed with Microsoft with this one. I was going to do a bare metal install, but I could not bring myself to reinstalling everything, so I did the in-place upgrade.

I haven't tested everything, but the three things I care about the most are working fine:
  1. The virtual machine hosting our NAS
  2. Reason
  3. Citrix (For teleworking ... I'd DIE without that.)
:puf_smile: :puf_smile: :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

gak

11 Nov 2015

It's ok now, again :lol:

It vacillates back and fourth. Love windows 10, really pissed about the "self update/restart" thing. Fix that and I'm happy.

Yeah, Reason works great with it and has since my first update. Not what I'm upset about.

jonheal

12 Nov 2015

I noticed that modified Windows Update process. I suppose they want to do all they can to really make sure users stay patched.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

michal22

12 Nov 2015

For me everything is ok, except for one thing. In some moments I have abrupt increases in CPU usage.I not yet identified the process that is responsible for that. Does anyone else also pointed out something like this on your PC? I have a Reason 7.
Surely these same projects were less CPU usage in Windows 7.
I think it might be responsible for it to communicate with Microsoft servers and system updates? I do not know.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Deep Schulzz

03 Dec 2015

Yesterday I upgraded to Win 10 64bit. The upgrade process worked without any troubles. Cool! Every program & every driver worked correctly.

But I got a noticeable ASIO performance loss when using Reason 8.3 with high CPU usage projects. A lot of processes in the Windows background (more than in Win 7). Deactivating some services did not help; minimising the autostart programs no noticeable effects. But deinstalling the free Avast (with the Avast tool) and activating Windows Defender = performance improvement for Reason & less clicks etc on heavy projects - but still some unforeseeable CPU spikes. Conclusion: The audio performance in Windows 7 64bit was better for me. I was hoping for the opposite. Maybe I go back to Win 7.

Audio Interface PCIe ESI Juli@XTe with latest windows 10 drivers
CPU I7 3770K @4,2 GHz, 16 GB Ram, SSD system drive

https://soundcloud.com/deep-schulzz

:reason: :refill: :re: :ignition: :recycle:

• Information