Exported Song is Faster than Original

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
quartz77

28 Jul 2015

I am exporting a mixed song and the .wav file seems to be much faster than the original Reason recording.
Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Thanks Thomas

raymondh

28 Jul 2015

That sounds odd, never experienced that before.

How much faster? What's the original song tempo and what is the exported song tempo?

If it just seems that way and you want to check if it's an illusion, how about you load in the exported track as an audio track in the original song and play them together to see if they play in sync?

Are you using ASIO drivers for your audio? Does this happen with all songs or just one track? If you export a loop rather than the whole song does it happen? Are you using 44.1 Khz + 16 bit in your audio settings or something else?

esselfortium

28 Jul 2015

raymondh wrote:f it just seems that way and you want to check if it's an illusion, how about you load in the exported track as an audio track in the original song and play them together to see if they play in sync?
If you try this, make sure you right-click on the clip and disable tempo stretching on it, so its playback speed isn't affected by the sequencer's BPM.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

quartz77

28 Jul 2015

Thanks for the feedback. I am exporting and then importing to Cubase. My Cubase version does not have time stretching.
The Cubase project does have a different BPM, but since it is a .WAV file it should not matter. I will try setting the Cubase project to the same BPM and then import and see what happens. There is absolutely NO DOUBT it is much faster.
I will let you know how this works out. Thanks
I

quartz77

28 Jul 2015

I just imported the exported .wav file back into the original Reason project and it is the correct tempo, so I guess it is
a problem with Cubase.
Thanks for the help.

freeQlow

28 Jul 2015

wav tempo should matter.
If I import a tech house perc loop that is 123 on a song that is 125, it will absolutely matter.
Even if pull the loop to end the bar and quantize, it just isn't the same.
I always sort this out pre import. I always get the song tempo to match what I'm importing before I drag it on in.
Rex files can be dropped into sequencer to be converted to wav, which is genius IMO.

I recently picked up some Chocolate Puma samples from a Beatport Contest. I made sure I had the tempo right before dropping a 2nd sample/loop because the stems did not have a tempo in the name. 125, turned to 124, turned to 123. Boom it glued.
Then I imported all those stems at 123, then I changed the entire song tempo up 127 and started my jury selection routine.

Could be your situation is similar to described above or get Cubase down to that tempo.

Still having problems?
Try bouncing only an 8 bar loop (1 channel, drums)
Import it into Cubase, adjusting the tempo til it's glued.
Go back to Reason an get the tempo to match.
Then bounce all your channels

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2015

It sounds like a 44.1/48 conflict but I can't understand why Cubase wouldn't convert the WAV to suit the existing project.
Have you been fiddling with your Audio Interfaces values? Is Cubase running at the same settings as Reason?

Grum.

selig
RE Developer

31 Jul 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:It sounds like a 44.1/48 conflict but I can't understand why Cubase wouldn't convert the WAV to suit the existing project.
Have you been fiddling with your Audio Interfaces values? Is Cubase running at the same settings as Reason?

Grum.
IMO it can't be the "classic" sample rate issue, unless the OP was incorrect in their description - the did NOT mention a pitch change, just a tempo change, correct?

Remember Reason imbeds tempo in .wav files, and there was no problem re-importing back in Reason (and reason doesn't change pitch/tempo when importing different sample rates, it converts the sample rate and leaves pitch/tempo alone).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:It sounds like a 44.1/48 conflict but I can't understand why Cubase wouldn't convert the WAV to suit the existing project.

Grum.
IMO it can't be the "classic" sample rate issue, unless the OP was incorrect in their description - the did NOT mention a pitch change, just a tempo change, correct?

Remember Reason imbeds tempo in .wav files, and there was no problem re-importing back in Reason (and reason doesn't change pitch/tempo when importing different sample rates, it converts the sample rate and leaves pitch/tempo alone).
We'll have to wait and see what the OPs experiments turn up :).

Grum.

selig
RE Developer

31 Jul 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:
selig wrote:

Grum.

We'll have to wait and see what the OPs experiments turn up :).

Grum.
He has already identified the problem was with Cubase, so it's not a sample rate issue (as I already suggested), right? Am I missing something obvious here (wouldn't be the first time)?
Selig Audio, LLC

Theo.M

01 Aug 2015

it's reason exporting the wav with imbedded tempo data and cubase importing it and playing it at the transport tempo. Please say which cubase version exactly as even the basic one has time stretching these days.. are we talking something like cubase AI from 10 years back? That's a different story.

But it sounds exactly like what i am saying here.. just to check, did you change the tempo of cubase yet to see if the playback of the file is changing with it? You said you would but never updated us on that.. or is it already solved and you just haven't told us LOL?

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2015

Theo.M wrote:
But it sounds exactly like what i am saying here.. just to check, did you change the tempo of cubase yet to see if the playback of the file is changing with it? You said you would but never updated us on that.. or is it already solved and you just haven't told us LOL?
That's what I've been waiting for. I figured it had to be an old version for the OP to state about the lack of timestretching.

Grum.

• Information