Banking over multiple Redrums

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JoshC1

27 Jul 2015

Hey guys. I have multiple Redrums in my project, one with kicks, one with snares, one with percussion, etc. I want to be able to play all these Redrums continuously on my keyboard without having to change instrument, instead just banking up and down the keyboard like I would do with an NNXT patch. Is this possible to set up using a Combinator and if so, how?

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jul 2015

Have you read the Reason Operation Manual yet?
Chapter "The Combinator" / "Using the Programmer" / "Keymapping instrument devices".
Last edited by orthodox on 27 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

SoulState

27 Jul 2015

Yeah very do'able.

1. Create your Combi
2. Put a Line Mixer in it.
3. Route your Kick, Snare, Perc etc into their own mixer channel.
4. That's it!
:reason:

JoshC1

27 Jul 2015

Ok thanks. I forgot to mentioned that each of the separate outputs of these Redrums (14 of them) are already routed to the SSL mixer. Does this make any difference in the way I set them up with the Combinator. I just want to use the Combinator as a way of triggering all the Redrums.
When i combine the Redrums, do I need to combine their SSL mixer channels also?

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jul 2015

JoshC1 wrote:When i combine the Redrums, do I need to combine their SSL mixer channels also?
No. The combinator will light "external routing", but that can be ignored.

JoshC1

27 Jul 2015

Thanks orthodox

JoshC1

01 Aug 2015

Hey guys. So I think I have mapped the various redrums zones int he Combinator correctly, but now the Combinator doesn't seem to be triggering the redrum pads. here is a screenshot of how I've set it up; http://gyazo.com/1166e2aa1863ab9addf580aa7671c9f0

Have I missed something?

orthodox
RE Developer

01 Aug 2015

Well, you might have missed transposing those zones in the Combinator programmer so they hit the Redrum's playable range (C1-A1). I see "0" for the Transpose value in the picture.

JoshC1

01 Aug 2015

I dont quite understand how its meant to be set up; So for each redrum/zone I have to set a different transpose value? How do i know which value to transpose each zone to?

selig
RE Developer

01 Aug 2015

Think of it this way: if you load multiple ReDrums into a Combi and play C1 (36) (the note that trigger the first slot, usually the kick), the result will be that you will trigger ALL Channel 1 samples on every ReDrum. Each ReDrum has 10 samples, so it responds to the 10 notes starting on 36-45. Note 46 will not produce any sound since there's no ReDrum/Channel assigned to that note. Even if you change the note ranges for each ReDrum, you still won't hear anything on the other notes until you transpose the other devices.

So you have a choice, set things up so each ReDrum responds to 10 notes with no gaps, or it MAY make more sense to set each ReDrum up so channel 1 is always on a "C" (how I'd choose to do it to keep things simple). Either way you need to adjust TWO things for each ReDrum (except for the first which you can leave as is). Assuming you choose the second approach, the first thing to do is transpose the second ReDrum one octave down so is plays channel 1 in response to C2 (48). But you ALSO need to restrict the note ranges for each ReDrum, since notes outside the 10 that trigger samples have other functions (muting channels, soloing channels, etc). So for each ReDrum you need to adjust the "Key Range" Lo and Hi note values accordingly, which effectively "masks" each device so it only responds to the notes you want. Each ReDrum in this scenario responds from C up to A, each in a different octave depending on how much you have transposed each device. In our example, the first ReDrum will need to be set to respond to notes C1-A1, the second C2-A2, the third C3-A3, and the fourth C4-A4.

Here's where we can get into some trouble, because a Combinator can only transpose three octaves (36 semitones). This means that to support beyond 4 ReDrums we have to get a little creative and use the notes below C1(36). In this case you transpose up by one and two octaves respectively, and set the key ranges from C0-A0 and C-1 to A-4. Since there are only two octaves below C1, the effective limit for this approach is 6 ReDrums total.

With that in mind, if you are going to use 6 ReDrums you will probably want to make the FIRST ReDrum start on C-1 rather than C1, so that each device is represented by one octave from the 1st device at the lowest octave to the 6th device at the highest. Make sense?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2015

better you use a nnxt instead of multi redrum

if you're only playing with your keyboard

• Information