CV question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

26 Jul 2015

I don't know why this is so difficult but what I do know is that I have had enough of trying to work it out!

I want to send a gate signal from Euclid (or Matrix) through Thor so I can shape the gate with Thor's envelope. It just doesn't work as it should, as soon as the release on Thor's global envelope is pushed up a little the gate stays on and in general the attack and sustain do not function as I expect them too.

Maybe I am routing the gate incorrectly but I have tried routing it different ways and still it performs in an unexpected way.

Can someone please tell me how to shape a gate signal with an envelope in Thor, I may be cabling it incorrectly or programming the matrix incorrectly but like I said I have tried different ways already. Is there another device for envelope shaping a CV gate signal besides Charlotte?

Thanks.

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2015

Hi Jag

I think you haven't gotten the core idea of a Gate being On or Off, with no in-between states. Most Gates trigger as the CV passes from 0 to any other value. Think pure Square Wave.

You need a Gate to Trigger something like an Envelope then use the Env CV signal to control what needs enveloping with the smoothly changing CV, e.g.:

Matrix Gate Out > Thor CV 1 In
Thor CV 1 In > 100 > Global Env Gate
Global Env > 100 > CV Out 1
CV Out 1 > Subtractor Filter CV In

(of course you could just also wire Matrix Gate Out to Thor Gate In as that will also trigger Envelopes)

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Gaja

27 Jul 2015

Would it be possible to achieve your desired effect using the matrix' curve function? That way you might be able to leave out Thor alltogether.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2015

Matrix Curve could be used to make an Env shape but it would be "lumpy"

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Jagwah

27 Jul 2015

OK it was indeed a misunderstanding of gate signals and thanks to adq and eauhm in the Reason Chat chat room I now understand where I was going wrong -

At the GATE IN stage of any device it simply receives an on / off state only, what I wanted was to send a smoothed (enveloped) signal at that point and that's not possible, it can almost always be done via internal envelope after this point. This explains why I have struggled with Charlotte so much.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

• Information