Waveform not drawn

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zabukowski

23 Jul 2015

Sometimes when recording directly in comp editor, waveform is not drawn. After recording, i have to close and reopen editor for waveform to appear. Tested on two computers - the same symptoms.

Win 7, Reason 8.3

Anyone else experiencing this ? Can't find the reason for this - otherwise Reason is performing very good on both computers.

Thx!

Raveshaper

23 Jul 2015

If by "comp editor" you mean sequencer view, large audio files need to buffer in to see the waveform. But usually this is only the case when dragging them in, not during recording. Haven't experienced this on reason 7.1.x
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

zabukowski

24 Jul 2015

QwaizanG wrote:If by "comp editor" you mean sequencer view, large audio files need to buffer in to see the waveform. But usually this is only the case when dragging them in, not during recording. Haven't experienced this on reason 7.1.x
By "comp editor" i mean the place where multiple takes can be comped - double click on audio part in the sequencer.

zabukowski

21 Jan 2016

I've sent this to Propellerheads support - support guy was not able to reproduce it, so now R&D team will take a look into it ....

You can see the misbehaviour in video below. Not only waveform is missing, also takes are not numbered correctly (they all have number 1). Looks like these two issues are somehow connected.

Strangely enough, everything works correctly when recording in LOOP mode.

Can anyone here reproduce this behaviour ? I am not really used to this kind of "major" misbehaviour in Reason. It might be my system, but i really can't imagine what ... :( Reinstalled the latest version of Reason, problem remains the same.
1.gif
1.gif (1.38 MiB) Viewed 824 times

selig
RE Developer

21 Jan 2016

Can't reproduce the waveform not drawn issue.

The reason the take number is the same is because you're punching in on Take 1 (I believe). If you start at the top of the song rather than in the middle of the take there will be a new take number assigned. Don't know if this is a bug or by design, I could see both as being possible here. WAIT - I'll go with BUG with this because EVERY take that is started in the middle is labeled "Take 1", which of course doesn't make sense.

I'd say the graphic issue may be on your end - maybe your graphic card can't keep up while recording? Does changing buffer size make any difference (it probably shouldn't, but just thought I'd ask)?

Hopefully they'll take care of this in a future update.
Selig Audio, LLC

zabukowski

21 Jan 2016

selig wrote:Can't reproduce the waveform not drawn issue.

The reason the take number is the same is because you're punching in on Take 1 (I believe). If you start at the top of the song rather than in the middle of the take there will be a new take number assigned. Don't know if this is a bug or by design, I could see both as being possible here. WAIT - I'll go with BUG with this because EVERY take that is started in the middle is labeled "Take 1", which of course doesn't make sense.

I'd say the graphic issue may be on your end - maybe your graphic card can't keep up while recording? Does changing buffer size make any difference (it probably shouldn't, but just thought I'd ask)?

Hopefully they'll take care of this in a future update.
Support person told me recently, that he filled a bug report for developers, so at least take names should be considered as a bug. Not sure about waveform, though.

BUT ... in my case waveform is perfectly displayed when recording in loop mode. If graphics card would be a problem, this probably wouldn't work either ?! I've experimented further with different latency values ... lover values make things a bit better (waveform is displayed more often), but far from being perfect.

Thx!

selig
RE Developer

21 Jan 2016

Good point about the waveform being drawn in other situations. Still hard to find bugs when they can't be reproduced on all systems so this part may take a while. Curious is the redraw bug 100% reproducible on every song file?
Selig Audio, LLC

zabukowski

21 Jan 2016

I have a feeling, that redraw issue is more noticeable with bigger track count / projects.

selig
RE Developer

21 Jan 2016

zabukowski wrote:I have a feeling, that redraw issue is more noticeable with bigger track count / projects.
It's 100% obvious in your "one track" example - why do you say this?
Selig Audio, LLC

zabukowski

21 Jan 2016

selig wrote:
zabukowski wrote:I have a feeling, that redraw issue is more noticeable with bigger track count / projects.
It's 100% obvious in your "one track" example - why do you say this?
When i've lowered latency, there was some improvement with single track project - sudden waveform was displayed promptly. With large project things were the same. I can't recall every thing i've done, i've tried so many different things ... may be that some conclusions i've made are not 100% correct, i'll try to experiment a bit more.

zabukowski

23 Jun 2016

Unfortunately this issue remains absolutely the same with R9.

I am sure this is not my system's fault - i've seen this misbehaviour on friend's notebook. His PH account has been used when running Reason on his computer.

Looks like this is a tough one. Maybe recording into opened comp editor is not even officially supported. Can't find any documentation describing this. Comp editor is always mentioned in audio comping context, never in recording !??!

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2016

zabukowski wrote:Unfortunately this issue remains absolutely the same with R9.

I am sure this is not my system's fault - i've seen this misbehaviour on friend's notebook. His PH account has been used when running Reason on his computer.

Looks like this is a tough one. Maybe recording into opened comp editor is not even officially supported. Can't find any documentation describing this. Comp editor is always mentioned in audio comping context, never in recording !??!
I just checked the last beta of R9, and you can record in the Comp Editor and get the waveform drawn. It may not be your SPECIFIC system's fault, but it also isn't solely the SOFTWARE'S fault (or it would be a problem for everyone). There's something else going on here for sure. Can't remember if you've submitted a bug report on this or not?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

zabukowski

23 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
zabukowski wrote:Unfortunately this issue remains absolutely the same with R9.

I just checked the last beta of R9, and you can record in the Comp Editor and get the waveform drawn. It may not be your SPECIFIC system's fault, but it also isn't solely the SOFTWARE'S fault (or it would be a problem for everyone). There's something else going on here for sure. Can't remember if you've submitted a bug report on this or not?
:)
Yes, i absolutely agree, something very specific is going on ...

I've submited a bug report soon after i opened this thread. I was talking about it few posts above.

Btw. in your case, when recording into comp editor, are new takes numbered correctly ?

• Information