Recording Multiple MIDI Channels from the same keyboard?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Socram
RE Developer

22 Jul 2015

"Advanced" MIDI question for you guys today. I have an MPK61 which has 32 MIDI channels (overkill much?). I set all the drum pads on the MPK to the second channel (2A) and using the Advanced MIDI section of the mixer, routed that channel to a Kong. This allows me to continue to play synths and such with the keyboard (over MIDI ch. 1A) and control the Kong simultaneously with no problem. However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to RECORD the 2A midi channel Kong notes to the sequencer. I arm it for recording, play sounds with no problem, but no notes get saved to the track.

Ultimately I am trying to play and record from two or more different MIDI channels from the same MPK at the same time. Once it is set up how I am imagining it, I could arm both a synth and a kong for MIDI recording, start recording and get something down with the keyboard controlling a synth, and then when it loops back to beginning go straight to recording drums with the mpk's pads without a hitch.

Is the Advanced MIDI section the way to do this? Or am I going about this all wrong? This is possible right?
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Olivier

22 Jul 2015

The advanced midi device will not solve this for you.
For you to be able to record from a midi source it has to go through a defined control surface.

The thing with control surfaces is though, that they lock to an entire midi port, and not to one of the individual midi channels on that port.
So unless you are able to send out the pad's on another midi interface, there is no way to do this without special tricks.

On windows there is a workaround for this. It involves mapping different midi channels (using MIDI-OX) onto different virtual midi cables (like LoopMidi). These virtual midi cables can then be fed into different control surfaces. Those surfaces can then be locked to the different devices in reason.

This setup works.. see also : http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7490712 from a couple of days ago ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Socram
RE Developer

22 Jul 2015

Thanks for the response! Not sure how I missed that other thread, appreciate the help.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

• Information