A tune from a radio sounds like Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

22 Jul 2015

I oftenly listen to the net radios over shoutcast.com
Anyway, when i heared this tune: I kinda thought "this was made with Reason"
I copied the song name to youtube and the song is up there:

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue (again) that if something sounds like Reason or not, but honestly the tune made me think of Reason sound.

Exowildebeest

22 Jul 2015

Yeah I can hear the Mclass compressor on the bassline there.

Theo.M

23 Jul 2015

wow that bassline is way out of wack in the mix.. i think a reason user would do a better job with the mixing of dynamics LOL. Plus I am not quite sure I can make out the ssl EQ in there.. i thought for a moment I did hear it, but then I realised it might be softube trident vst on cubase or uhbik Q AU version with Logic. It's hard to tell because the different plugin format versions of those sound different in each daw.

QVprod

23 Jul 2015

Deleted original response, but out of curiosity what characteristically sounds like Reason to you? I have heard so many different sonic varieties out of Reason from just my own songs/productions let alone various other folk...

deepndark

23 Jul 2015

QVprod wrote:Deleted original response, but out of curiosity what characteristically sounds like Reason to you? I have heard so many different sonic varieties out of Reason from just my own songs/productions let alone various other folk...
It's true that Reason can sound very different from tune to tune. Anyway, usually I recogize Reason sound of how it catches my attention more than other music does. The amount of so called Reason sound varies of course - depending how the producer has used Reason stock devices.
But, things are a bit different now when we can use Rack Extensions.

Edit: It's even possible to sound anti-Reason with right use of the native devices. :puf_smile:

Marco Raaphorst

23 Jul 2015

Yes this is Reason 5.03 build 425

joeyluck

23 Jul 2015

Yup. I can totally hear the Matrix sequencer in there. And it's great to hear someone making use of the Spider CV Merger/Splitter.

Theo.M

23 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:Yup. I can totally hear the Matrix sequencer in there. And it's great to hear someone making use of the Spider CV Merger/Splitter.

Hmm I disagree, I am sure that it's a subtractor combinator hooked up to a bunch of redrums that is doing the melody sequencing in this. Also I am pretty sure I can hear the quad electra mid side tool being used there to add a touch of scream tape drive to the 10khz+ frequencies.

Sinistereo

23 Jul 2015

I think the problem is that Deepndark isn't using $340 audiophile Ethernet cables in his rig.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/ ... ok-inside/

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:
joeyluck wrote:Yup. I can totally hear the Matrix sequencer in there. And it's great to hear someone making use of the Spider CV Merger/Splitter.

Hmm I disagree, I am sure that it's a subtractor combinator hooked up to a bunch of redrums that is doing the melody sequencing in this. Also I am pretty sure I can hear the quad electra mid side tool being used there to add a touch of scream tape drive to the 10khz+ frequencies.
I was going to say the 9kHz+ frequencies myself, but close enough!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2015

I notice the sound of reason, also notice the sound of pro tool, ableton live, and studio one. lol

Theo.M

23 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

I was going to say the 9kHz+ frequencies myself, but close enough!
and of course i meant to say, the 10khz+ side frequencies.. Duh!

Now it's not as funny LOL

:shock: :lol:

MirEko

23 Jul 2015

Wow this thread reminds me of PUF, someone mentioning reason sound (in any context), then everyone making fun of them.. GG guys
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

esselfortium

23 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:Anyway, I'm not trying to argue (again) that if something sounds like Reason or not, but honestly the tune made me think of Reason sound.
"I'm not gonna drag the 'Reason sound' thing up again, but.. y'know.. Reason sound!"
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

MirEko wrote:Wow this thread reminds me of PUF, someone mentioning reason sound (in any context), then everyone making fun of them.. GG guys

what else is there to do? this guys been beating this horse for as long as i can remember. It's a ridiculous topic that deserves only ridiculous answers.

Gaja

24 Jul 2015

sdst wrote:I notice the sound of reason, also notice the sound of pro tool, ableton live, and studio one. lol
Are you being serious? Or is your sarcasm too advanced?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

MirEko

24 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:
MirEko wrote:Wow this thread reminds me of PUF, someone mentioning reason sound (in any context), then everyone making fun of them.. GG guys

what else is there to do? this guys been beating this horse for as long as i can remember. It's a ridiculous topic that deserves only ridiculous answers.
Oh.. Well in that case disregard my comment :D
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

raymondh

24 Jul 2015

Yes it's a shame the sound is coloured, you can tell the summing buss was struggling due to the obvious use of the 32 bit version of the software rather than being able to leverage a full 64 bits of raw quality.

Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:
sdst wrote:I notice the sound of reason, also notice the sound of pro tool, ableton live, and studio one. lol
Are you being serious? Or is your sarcasm too advanced?
i think he's saying he can hear the sound of all those daw's in that track.. in other words, a joke.

joeyluck

24 Jul 2015

I've had friends point out "The Reason" sound to me before, but that's when they are pointing out what they think to be specific FSB or ReFill presets. It was never about the color or character of the overall sound. Not sure the intent here...

deepndark

24 Jul 2015

I can also hear difference between 44100 and 48000 Hz - i must have very sensitive ears.

esselfortium

24 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:I can also hear difference between 44100 and 48000 Hz - i must have very sensitive ears.
Consistently in blind tests?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:I've had friends point out "The Reason" sound to me before, but that's when they are pointing out what they think to be specific FSB or ReFill presets. It was never about the color or character of the overall sound. Not sure the intent here...
That's what I've always heard too, since it's long been proven by too many to mention that Reason itself doesn't have a sound.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

24 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:I can also hear difference between 44100 and 48000 Hz - i must have very sensitive ears.
It's not about having sensitive ears, it's more about knowing exactly what you're listening for. Not to say you can't also do this intuitively, but it's more obvious when you are supplied with an example file constructed explicitly to demonstrate and exaggerate the differences. From there, like any audio "artifacts", it becomes easy to hear these differences in less obvious examples. But it should also be pointed out that there are audio examples where there is NO difference between those two sample rates.

It depends on the source material in my experience, since the differences can be quite subtle and exist only in the extreme upper frequencies. But that's a proven difference, whereas the Reason sound has been proven to not have any sonic differences. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information