A tune from a radio sounds like Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:I can also hear difference between 44100 and 48000 Hz - i must have very sensitive ears.
It's not about having sensitive ears, it's more about knowing exactly what you're listening for. Not to say you can't also do this intuitively, but it's more obvious when you are supplied with an example file constructed explicitly to demonstrate and exaggerate the differences. From there, like any audio "artifacts", it becomes easy to hear these differences in less obvious examples. But it should also be pointed out that there are audio examples where there is NO difference between those two sample rates.

It depends on the source material in my experience, since the differences can be quite subtle and exist only in the extreme upper frequencies. But that's a proven difference, whereas the Reason sound has been proven to not have any sonic differences. :)

there's going to be an easy way to test this.. let's render some synth sequences at 44 and 48 and see if he can pick which one is the 48 in a blind test.. let's say, 10 examples? I will provide 5 if you will provide 5. If he gets more than 60% right i will consider him being able to do it.

deepndark

24 Jul 2015

I'm uploading one 48000 and another 44100 of the same tune. Can you make them null?
The 44100 has "unison kind of UGLY artifacts" and the 48000 version has less - also the 48000 has smoother edges IMO.
Uploading the files to my site atm.

Exowildebeest

24 Jul 2015

It's well known - at least to me - that some Reason devices can sound quite different (at least relatively easily noticeably different) on different sample rates. One can argue "forced oversampling" can make e.g. Thor sound 'better'.

Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:I'm uploading one 48000 and another 44100 of the same tune. Can you make them null?
The 44100 has "unison kind of UGLY artifacts" and the 48000 version has less - also the 48000 has smoother edges IMO.

no they won't null... that's not what you said you said you can pick the difference with your sensitive ears.

So, i am going to test that theory but only if you agree to take part.. but i need help as to test it properly they have to be wav files and i don't know how to upload those for audition without giving it away what they actually are.

deepndark

24 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:
deepndark wrote:I'm uploading one 48000 and another 44100 of the same tune. Can you make them null?

no they won't null... that's not what you said you said you can pick the difference with your sensitive ears.

So, i am going to test that theory but only if you agree to take part.. but i need help as to test it properly they have to be wav files and i don't know how to upload those for audition without giving it away what they actually are.
I said I hear diffrences between 44100 and 48000 by ear, I didn't say I can always say which is which. You included the blind testing yourself. Why to test which you know is which at all? Only thing that matters at the end is that my ears know these don't sound identical.

Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

I said I hear diffrences between 44100 and 48000 by ear, I didn't say I can always say which is which. You included the blind testing yourself. Why to test which you know is which at all? Only thing that matters at the end is that my ears know these don't sound identical.
I give up.

:wave:

enjoy the "reason" sound and your amazing ears telling differences between daw's. Ciao.

lowpryo

24 Jul 2015

so you are the person who started the last "Reason sound" thread too. that got people all riled up, and then you admitted to just being drunk. is this the same kind of situation here, or do you just enjoy the attention?

deepndark

24 Jul 2015

lowpryo wrote:so you are the person who started the last "Reason sound" thread too. that got people all riled up, and then you admitted to just being drunk. is this the same kind of situation here, or do you just enjoy the attention?
When you read the first posting carefully - you can read I had a feeling of a Reason sound when radio played THAT tune. Propably something in that tune reminds me of some moments I have had myself when mixing with Reason. (since 2002). The last time when I said something about Reason sound, wasn't self-explationary to understand BUT even then I was partly right - Reason made music (which is caused by the native instruments and effects) makes me follow something soundwise more than music I listen from a radio as example.

And no.... I'm not seeking attention, I'm more interested to discuss about Reason with all the other Reason users.
Some of you already said the 44100 and 48000 are identical - are you taking it back now?

Theo.M

24 Jul 2015

lowpryo wrote:so you are the person who started the last "Reason sound" thread too. that got people all riled up, and then you admitted to just being drunk. is this the same kind of situation here, or do you just enjoy the attention?
I just went through his entire own forum, and there is not one topic in the whole thing (and it has existed longer than reasontalk), started by deepndark himself who owns the forums, about sample rates or the "reason sound".

There is only one topic about such things in the entire forum, started by someone *else* - note his answer LOL:

http://www.reasonheads.net/forum/viewto ... ?f=8&t=194

Now he says some of us claim there is no difference between 44 and 48? I don't remember ever saying or reading that by others here- i think he is drinking again and just wants to "egg" us on into a heated discussion. I know which "add" button *I* pressed - feels refreshing already ;)

There are no reason synths used in that song above, and yes, it's entirely possible for someone who really knows the synths backwards to be able to pick Subtractor or Maelstrom in a song. No way can they pick the drum synths and not very likely with Thor. That was when the so called reason sound was talked about.... almost a decade back when maelstrom and subtractor were it. As far as audio fidelity, even deepndark himself admits reason is as perfect as any other daw as the link above shows.

Can you hear anything about "where is the love" that sounds so called "reason"? I can't. Perfect example.

deepndark

24 Jul 2015

As you see - the same dabate is not brought up only by me. I usually answer what people want to hear (i.e. there's no Reason sound) - part of me never agrees with this tho. And if I totally became drunken of a pure icecold water then i misread from page 1 that people wanted to see if I know which files are 44100 and which were 48000.

davidhyno

25 Jul 2015

Mmmmmm......no! This is not Reason sounds! Sure! You probably take this mistake cause they use a Samsung 19' TV as monitor! Sounds changes completely if you use a dedicated 23' from Philips!!! And last....they don't use a Mac....it's a PC daw!you can hear the difference also if you chewing chewin-gum.

Theo.M

25 Jul 2015

davidhyno wrote:Mmmmmm......no! This is not Reason sounds! Sure! You probably take this mistake cause they use a Samsung 19' TV as monitor! Sounds changes completely if you use a dedicated 23' from Philips!!! And last....they don't use a Mac....it's a PC daw!you can hear the difference also if you chewing chewin-gum.
thanks man you just made my drink go through my nose. :lol:

CharlyCharlzz

26 Jul 2015

I can ear from 14k to 96k and say wich is wich , I only need to lissen to one first and then the other and only if the OG File is a pure WAV .

that sayed I also think there is a Reason sound but to me it's the native FX and preseted instruments who give this sound and in no way the sequencer , maybe some of the SB samples also sound very Volca sample but maybe the sounds are designed like that to give a vintage taste .

when you layer a few thors and malstrom in a combi you get more the omnisphere sound to me then the so called Reason sound but i don't mind the Reason sound when it sound like that .

now if peoples export at 48 what they do in 44 and are bad at mixing low's they get the shit sound and that got nothing to do with Reason.
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

• Information