No attack with first touch of the play transport.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marketblandings

22 Jul 2015

Hi All,

My Reason Essentials has recently developed a weird glitch. When I load a composition in progress for further work, the first time I hit the play button (space bar actually) the beginning second of the tune is a quick fade-up and not the actual attack of the first instrument hits.

It's a very nice fade-up. Perfect in many ways... but not part of the song. After the first time, all is well.

AND it doesn't matter how long I let the hard drive and processors settle down before hitting Play.

Makes me think I left a setting wrong somewhere. Any ideas?

selig
RE Developer

22 Jul 2015

Are you using any mix bus or mastering compression of any sort? How does it sound when you export it?

Also, I've occasionally seen the first note get ignored on devices like the A-List acoustic guitar. The only "for sure" fix I've found to date is to slide the first notes over by one "tick" - you'll never notice it and it ensures the first note is always heard.

Hope you get it sorted.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marketblandings

22 Jul 2015

Hi Selig,

I almost always have some mix buss compression - but I am working on various unfinished pieces that gave no trouble for a year.
Still.... I used to give my Cakewalk stuff a little slide like you said because I was a tape editor for many years (actual recording tape) and having the sound start exactly as the space bar hits bottom was so startling and un-natural to me that I gave tunes about 10 clock ticks just to get me back in my analog comfort zone. Eventually got over that and forgot about it long ago.
Now I will return to it like you advise... if nothing else helps.
Thanks

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2015

Marketblandings wrote:Hi Selig,

I almost always have some mix buss compression - but I am working on various unfinished pieces that gave no trouble for a year.
Still.... I used to give my Cakewalk stuff a little slide like you said because I was a tape editor for many years (actual recording tape) and having the sound start exactly as the space bar hits bottom was so startling and un-natural to me that I gave tunes about 10 clock ticks just to get me back in my analog comfort zone. Eventually got over that and forgot about it long ago.
Now I will return to it like you advise... if nothing else helps.
Thanks
Hey fellow (former) tape editor! I should have added that I typically will leave a bar or two for count off, been doing that for almost as long as I've been editing tape since starting on MIDI sequencers back in 1986. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

bpmorton

27 Jul 2015

I think this happens to me as well. I have gotten into the habit of double clicking the stop button before I play a track the first time. This fixes it for me.

• Information