Playing an A4 sine in Reason doesn't give me a 440Hz sine!?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jappe

21 Jul 2015

Hi all,

can anyone explain why I'm seeing double the frequency of the expected A4 when I play an A4 sine in the Reason sequencer?
I expect to see 440Hz, but Adobe Audition (and reason spec analysis) shows 880?

Kenni
Site Admin

21 Jul 2015

jappe wrote:Hi all,

can anyone explain why I'm seeing double the frequency of the expected A4 when I play an A4 sine in the Reason sequencer?
I expect to see 440Hz, but Adobe Audition (and reason spec analysis) shows 880?
I might be mistaking, but refering to the "keyhole C" which is C3, wouldn't the 440Hz note be A3, and not A4?
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

jappe

21 Jul 2015

Hmm...do you mean that Reason uses another definition of C3 than the one shown in Wikipedia for example?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(musical_note)

I'm sure there's a simple explanation to this which has to do with my lack of understanding something...

normen

21 Jul 2015

Afaik MIDI notes start counting at "0" / C=32Hz

jappe

21 Jul 2015

normen wrote:Afaik MIDI notes start counting at "0" / C=32Hz
Thank's Normen, you are right; MIDI obviously can use different notation; how confusing

"Notation that appears to be scientific pitch notation may actually be based on an alternative octave numbering. While they are still note-octave systems, if they are called "scientific pitch notation", this is certainly an error. For example, MIDI software and hardware often uses C5 or C3 to represent middle C (note 60).[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

selig
RE Developer

21 Jul 2015

There has been a "C3 vs C4" issue with MIDI since it's inception - I haven't heard about C5 before now. Many sequencers give the option to choose between Middle C = C3 or C4. Some may even give you an Octave Offset preference. But again, the main discrepancy is between C3 vs C4, not C3 vs C5 as far as I've ever heard.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information