Rec midi ch input in sequencer, R8?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exe135

21 Jul 2015

Hi,

I want to record midi data from different channels in Reason (Organ, 2 manuals + pedal on 3 channels). I was rather shocked when I read in a thread, that it was not possible to record midi data from midi channels (advanced midi interface).

Is that something R8 has fixed?
It would be very dissappointing if I really can't record an organ jam in midi data.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2015

HI

It is a limit of Reason that only one MIDI Channel can be recorded at once. If you send both manuals on the same channel then you can separate them after easily (provided the notes don't cross over).

Advanced MIDI was only ever to allow Reason to function as a Multi-Timbral sound source (incl ReWire).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

exe135

21 Jul 2015

Damn. Thank you.

Rewire would be an option I guess (rec in another daw), but thats what I wanted to avoid in the first place. With my amateur skills I felt much more at home in Reason then with Cubase or Reaper, and I don't want to go back. But this is quite a bummer.
Improvising and playing different Synths, Lead on upper, Pad on lower manual, Bass Ped, is so cool. But without "saving" to midi its ****.

Olivier

21 Jul 2015

If you are on windows there is a workaround. It requires using MidiOx and LoopMidi.
MidiOx can map different channels onto different virtual Midicables. Those can then be used to route into different control surfaces inside reason. Those can then be locked to different instruments.

If you are interested i'll do a write up of the process.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

MirEko

21 Jul 2015

My biggest gripe with reason.. Such a shame it still cannot do this!
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

exe135

21 Jul 2015

Thanks, eauhm, you saved the day! With the two programs it works indeed. Loopmidi to create several virtual midi-interfaces, and midiox do route the channels to them. And the interfaces can then be locked to devices. It feels bit weird and fiddly anyway, so many clicks to set up.

If reason allowed eighter -midi channels as a source for the "device lock" feature, or -"advanced midi" to be multichannel recorded, that would all not be necessary.
Someone hint that to the developers.^^

Thanks again.

• Information