LFO to gate?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Puckboy2000

20 Jul 2015

This may be a noob question but can an LFO be used to trigger gate? I want to use an LFO to trigger a drum pad for side chaining. That way I can increase the gate/pumping freestyle by turning a knob via midi. Is that possible. I tried doing this this weekend but it did not work. I tried different wave forms and still to no avail. Am I missing something? I know I can use LFO to create a similar effect by routing to the master volume of an instrument but wondered if I could do it via gate. It would open other possibilities.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

hydlide

20 Jul 2015

The easiest LFO that can act as a gate trigger is the typical Square LFO. Since that one turns on / off the gate.

ScuzzyEye

20 Jul 2015

Make sure the LFO is going to 0. It's the change from 0 to another value that triggers the gate on most instruments in Reason. The square wave is pretty much the only one that's going to work, because other waveforms the first step of the change from 0 is going to be 1, and out of 127, that's a very quiet hit.

Puckboy2000

20 Jul 2015

Thanks for the replies. I will try it out later! :puf_wink:
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

selig
RE Developer

20 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Make sure the LFO is going to 0. It's the change from 0 to another value that triggers the gate on most instruments in Reason. The square wave is pretty much the only one that's going to work, because other waveforms the first step of the change from 0 is going to be 1, and out of 127, that's a very quiet hit.
But as all LFOs are bi-polar in Reason (going from -1 to +1), they will always go "to 0" as it crosses the center line, right?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Olivier

20 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye allready hinted at this so this comment may be redundant, but it may be good to explicitly mention that Reason Gate CV isn't just used to gate a signal as it is in the real world. The amplitude of the CV Gate signal is also interpreted as velocity information. Thats why you can best use a square wave.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

ScuzzyEye

20 Jul 2015

selig wrote:But as all LFOs are bi-polar in Reason (going from -1 to +1), they will always go "to 0" as it crosses the center line, right?
Good point. I believe all instruments handle values less than 1/127th (0.007) as off, that includes negative values. It's the change from below 1/127th to above that counts as the gate on signal.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2015

This should solve your issues.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... ounter.cmb

Initially set up to create the Geiger Counter in Kraftwerk's "Radioactivity" record if you hit the Tempo Sync and then either take the Pad 1 Gate Out and create your own ENV (which is a bit silly as Thor could do that for you) or use the Audio Out as the Key for your Side Chain.

Have fun

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Puckboy2000

21 Jul 2015

Thanks Benedict!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2015

I know that you asked about an LFO however could you not just use a Thor step sequencer to do this?
You will be able to control the Rate of your gate\pumping.
You have Audio and CV outputs available...
Simple to setup and use....

selig
RE Developer

23 Jul 2015

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:I know that you asked about an LFO however could you not just use a Thor step sequencer to do this?
You will be able to control the Rate of your gate\pumping.
You have Audio and CV outputs available...
Simple to setup and use....
+1
Great idea, as you also have control over duty cycle (gate "on" time) that you don't have with most LFOs, and you can program patterns when the "on time" varies from step to step.
Selig Audio, LLC

Puckboy2000

23 Jul 2015

Thanks. I will have to watch a Thor tutorial as I have never used the step sequencer as it always confused me :(

• Information