Anyone using an OP1 to control Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

17 Jul 2015

I just discovered I can use the OP1 (Teenage Engineering) to control Reason, but there are some feature I'd like to add. Sadly, I'm totally ignorant about how to do this, so I'm reaching out to anyone who is already using their OP1 to control Reason, and is has already gone down the particular rabbit hole. Any takers?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2015

Hi Selig

No on the OP (of any number :roll: ) but does it use ReMote?

If so then read the article on ReMote on the Props site and then download the Spreadsheet and make your associations. That is super easy if you are organized - which I know you are.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Fretless Fingers

20 Jul 2015

selig wrote:I just discovered I can use the OP1 (Teenage Engineering) to control Reason, but there are some feature I'd like to add. Sadly, I'm totally ignorant about how to do this, so I'm reaching out to anyone who is already using their OP1 to control Reason, and is has already gone down the particular rabbit hole. Any takers?

I don't know to many who have dropped the $849 on that synth. I'm sure remote mapping should be easy if a dimple mapping be already exists. It may require the deb kit depending on what you want to add
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

joeyluck

20 Jul 2015

I have been back and forth about getting this synth. I am all about portable synths! But every time I look at the price tag, I remind myself that for a 'few dollars' more, I can replace my laptop.

Let me know if you ever decide to sell it ;)

selig
RE Developer

20 Jul 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi Selig

No on the OP (of any number :roll: ) but does it use ReMote?

If so then read the article on ReMote on the Props site and then download the Spreadsheet and make your associations. That is super easy if you are organized - which I know you are.

Spent a few fruitless minutes trying to find this spreadsheet you mentioned - even finding Remote info took a search because it wasn't obvious where to find it. But still, I can't find info on modifying/adding controls. Any help would be appreciated!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

20 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:I have been back and forth about getting this synth. I am all about portable synths! But every time I look at the price tag, I remind myself that for a 'few dollars' more, I can replace my laptop.

Over the years I've spent over $3000 for a sampler (Kurtzweil), almost $2000 for a VA (JP8000), thousands for audio/midi apps and hardware, and the list goes on. And FWOW, I wouldn't be able to find much use for a laptop costing only $1000.

Like others, I dismissed this synth before I started working with it! It is very well built, feature rich, quite small (great for traveling), but most of all it's a great design that I find quite inspiring - much like Reason! And like Reason, the OP1 also doesn't get a lot of love except for from those who have actually used it, and is said to cost far more than what it "should" cost when compared to apps like Logic (which has FAR more features than Reason, but costs half the price).

And now I've found I can use the OP1 WITH Reason, both products are even more attractive to me! Also, I don't know what (if any) "competition" exists for the OP1, especially when you compare the build and design quality and feature list. And finally, as a Reason user I can totally relate to a product that simply inspires me more than others regardless of cost, and that has great value to me!
Selig Audio, LLC

CharlyCharlzz

20 Jul 2015

it's the coolest synth ever , It was on my first synth buy list but I buyed a minibrute insted and a sampler and then a sh-201 LOL

I ^was dumb because I was seing it MONO and for drums it was not my cup of tea but at that time I was not knowing about pan and layers .

would buy it right now if somebody was in to buy my sp808 and my sh-201 for like 800 euros both but I think i will just rent a storage box :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

joeyluck

20 Jul 2015

Thanks for this! Like I had said, I had never completely dismissed it. Just always on the fence. Problem is that no stores near me have ever carried it in order for me to try it out first.

It's not that it isn't worth it. It's just that looks can be deceiving. And it enters into a threshold of pricing for me. 'A few dollars' more for a laptop really meaning about half the price, but enough to make me think about it. And i only think about it because it is a digital workstation. I too have spent much more on hardware. And I've recently been on a kick of only bying analog when buying hardware synths. Unless...it offers something more or unique...which I'm sure this does.

And glad to hear you got it working with Reason!
selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I have been back and forth about getting this synth. I am all about portable synths! But every time I look at the price tag, I remind myself that for a 'few dollars' more, I can replace my laptop.

Over the years I've spent over $3000 for a sampler (Kurtzweil), almost $2000 for a VA (JP8000), thousands for audio/midi apps and hardware, and the list goes on. And FWOW, I wouldn't be able to find much use for a laptop costing only $1000.

Like others, I dismissed this synth before I started working with it! It is very well built, feature rich, quite small (great for traveling), but most of all it's a great design that I find quite inspiring - much like Reason! And like Reason, the OP1 also doesn't get a lot of love except for from those who have actually used it, and is said to cost far more than what it "should" cost when compared to apps like Logic (which has FAR more features than Reason, but costs half the price).

And now I've found I can use the OP1 WITH Reason, both products are even more attractive to me! Also, I don't know what (if any) "competition" exists for the OP1, especially when you compare the build and design quality and feature list. And finally, as a Reason user I can totally relate to a product that simply inspires me more than others regardless of cost, and that has great value to me!

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2015

Hi Selig

Did you find and follow this article? This is how I altered files for an older controller.

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/control-remote

Benedict Roff-Marsh

selig
RE Developer

20 Jul 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi Selig

Did you find and follow this article? This is how I altered files for an older controller.

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/control-remote

There ya go, that's exactly what I needed to read - thanks a million for this!
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2015

No worries. This article has gotten buried in Props site streamlining (and dumbing down). I had to Google externally.

Have fun

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Koshdukai

21 Jul 2015

Hey :)
selig wrote:I just discovered I can use the OP1 (Teenage Engineering) to control Reason
yup, since Reason 6.0.2 :)
selig wrote:but there are some feature I'd like to add.
...which is...?

yeahright31

28 Apr 2016

Recently my midi keyboard stopped working, I wasn't to sad, I've got few other hardware at my use to do the same job. I started using the Korg NanoPad again. I also own an OP-1 and I have to admit, it's a awesome tool, yet I struggle to create a finished track with it. Not that it's limited by any means, just not as easy as I'd hoped. I paired up the OP-1 with a Boss loopstation and that's been where the fun started, lately i'm thinking of running a cable into my soundcard and recording into Reason.

I could picture some further possibilities happening very soon.

zeebot

28 Apr 2016

I spent ages debating whether to get the OP-1 or the top ipad air at that time. looking back I'm so glad I went for the ipad. The amount of amazing music apps and the other multiple ways you can use the device outside the musical realm makes the OP-1 look like an over expensive limited toy.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Vince-Noir-99

28 Apr 2016

I very well understand the feelings about the OP-1's price. I was super lucky to get it new and discounted at around 750€ from an online retailer days after Teenage Engineering upped to 949€ last year. Still, a lot of money, but it's a solid music tech jewel. Unique interface, extremely inspiring. It's got limitations indeed but that's usually a good thing for music people. Besides, they're outweighed by a ton of unique features.
Here my minus about it: I found the drum programming to be a bit too restricted for my habits. I was hoping to have more live muting and sequencing features like on TR-style grooveboxes, something which could easily be implemented with an OS update.

Which reminds me it's long overdue and the OP-1 forum is on fire about it since last year. To get an idea, imagine what would the R9 drama be like 6 months from now. :puf_bigsmile: It's actually a similar story: two unique Swedish 'small' companies with broad ambitions — PH took the Allihoppa journey, TE the Pocket operators one, costing some neglect/delays to the advancement of their respective flagship products.

yeahright31

08 Jun 2016

About 9 months of owning an OP-1 and I've created 1 full track with it, although for many years I didn't have a decent audio interface and that limited me as I had big ideas but didn't have the right cable or port or this or that, anyway something always stood in my way - which is 1 of few reasons why I ended up buying the OP-1, I got sick of having ideas go nowhere because of lack of.

The OP1 is amazing, let me drop this metaphor I made up. Haha

I have this metaphor it goes: Give a hammer to a child he will break things with it, give a hammer to a builder he will fix and create things.

• Information