A day of Reason 8.3 performance tests.. stunning revelations - win vs mac

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Theo.M

13 Jul 2015

Firstly I will warn you this is a marathon post. Considering the various performance issues brought up over the years, particularly with people being unimpressed with macbooks, i guarantee you this is a worthwhile read. I will try to organise it into relevant sections and keep the grammar and spelling decent.

As some of you may know, I have had a little windows ivy bridge samsung laptop since december 2012 as a machine to take to mums when i was away from home and needed care for my illness. It is a 2.3ghz i7 quad (http://ark.intel.com/products/64899/Int ... o-3_30-GHz), 8 GB 1600 ram, 480 GB sandisk extreme SSD (aftermarket addon). Windows 7 home 64 bit. Will be adding 16gb ram after the results today.

The machine had always performed better than my 2.2ghz i7 quad sandy bridge "1 year older" macbook pro, but logic was always close (within 10-20%) vs other non logic hosts in windows. Studio one gave at least double the performance of my mac with Studio 1.

To be honest, i was using Live alot on it and had reason rewired, but no RE's installed at all, plus I had had bad experiences with codemeter on windows and didn't want to install the extra runtime ( I was logging into props server with Reason). - more news on codemeter later on.
I have only used the laptop 4 times in those 2.5 years, all those 4 times being the 4 times when I was away for a day or two from home (i.e really in shitloads of pain/unable to take care of myself).

Today, I was looking at it sitting there, unused and unloved, and i thought..WTH.. let's fire this up, get reason and a bunch of RE's installed, do the benchmark, check if the license update errors still happen (i know this is not too common an issue), and test some heavy ass RE's out vs the Mac. What prompted this was that my sister just bought a 2.5ghz Retina quad i7 macbook pro 15", with 16gb ram and 512 gb flash (my goodness it's fast, 4 second total boot from apple logo to functional desktop LMAO). The thing is, even though it performed considerably better in the benchmark song to mine (40 seconds vs 10 seconds!), stacking plugins on single cores didn't even give me 1% better performance. For example, six Softube Tsar's in line on one channel was absolute max before snap crackle pop. same as mine right now, exactly. A laptop that is 4 years older and dated architecture. So the retina only really shined when it's quad cores were allowed to flex their muscles.

The problem was, that on the benchmark test, the retina at 1024 buffer was crackling pretty much after the first 10 seconds all the way to the 40 second cutoff. It also crackled with 6 tsars occasionally (slurred audio) where as my 2.2 doesn't. They both turn to mega rice krispies with 7. LOL.
The total amount of tsars over multiple tracks/cores is 11 for mine. Unfortunately I did not get to do the multi track tsar test in the retina, as my sister has taken it back to do some stuff but she's letting me have it for one more night tonight, where i will test tsar's spread out on all cores also. My 2.2 ghz lappy crackles the *entire* way from the moment you press play to the 10 second time it overloads in the benchmark song test (95% ceiling as specified in test instructions). It really is a stinker in this test.

I did a lot of investigating. There is one thing the retina does that mine doesn't, even without a laptop cooling pad (where as mine has a really good coolermaster massive fan one) - it stays quiet and COOL. I used a benchmark on the retina to max out all cores at 100% (as in all 8 threads, the computer was literally using 800% which is the absolute max, like a prime 95 for mac) - and it stayed under 60 celsius, and fans stayed at no more than 2500 rpm! WTF!

*This * is why it was able to get to 40 seconds in the retina benchmark, over 4 cores. 2.5ghz haswell is not, core for core, much more than the 2.2 sandy bridge. It really isn't. The reason they equal in single core stacking tests is because my 2.2 doesn't overheat at that level, as it's only one core that's heavily loaded, and therefore, it isn't hitting throttling temperature thresholds and well, isn't throttling. Make sense? So retina macbook pro single core performance at 2.5ghz haswell is more or less identical, in Reason, to 2.2ghz older generation single core performance. Remember, this is all about Reason, that's all I have taken into account here. Reason, and of course, RE's. Alot of reason performance problems are due to the mac's inferior audio architecture also, as i have discovered (and suspected), but more of that to come.

Let's do the quick version now then we will proceed to windows.

- Macbook Pro 15", Quad i7 2.2ghz Sandy Bridge, 8GB ram, 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD - 10 seconds in benchmark test (following all guidelines).
Noisy as all hell with fans at 6200 rpm, obviously throttling, crackles and pops from beginning of test.

- Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 2.5ghz haswell, 16gb ram, 512gb pcie flash, 40 seconds in benchmark test (following all guidelines).
Quiet as a bird with fans in the 2000's, no obvious throttling, temps at low level. Audio pops and crackles from ~ 10 seconds through to the 40 second cutoff.

- Macbook Pro 15", Quad i7 2.2ghz Sandy Bridge, 8GB ram, 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 256 buffer on board sound, reason cpu ceiling 80%, 44.1 - single core test using Softube Tsar full. Internet disabled, using ignition key auth - one audio track doing a 4 bar loop, tsar inserted in series, set to dry for clear evaluation purposes, 6 instances. 7th is crackle and/or overload. Fan, noise and temperature low.

- Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 2.5ghz haswell, 16gb ram, 512gb pcie flash, 256 buffer on board sound, reason cpu ceiling 80%, 44.1 - single core test using Softube Tsar full. Internet disabled, using ignition key auth - one audio track doing a 4 bar loop, tsar inserted in series, set to dry for clear evaluation purposes, 6 instances. 7th is crackle and/or overload. Fan, noise and temperature low.

So what we can ascertain from this is that apple have mastered the cooling design in the latest models and allowed them to work at high cpu without high fan speeds/performance loss. Whereas the 2011 model was affectionately known as a jet engine at load. This haswell chip has same tdp of 45 w , as my sandy bridge from memory - although is of course a smaller die, at 22nm. That might have something to do with it too.

In my eyes, if I stay with mac, it is definitely going to be worth getting the retina 2.8 that I was thinking about. It will be a bit better again than the one i tested, the hard drive speed is pure insanity, and it's quiet - oh and that screen - just stunning. I hated the glare screens but apple have managed to make it look almost matte but just super sharp with some sort of special coating. It works. It looks beautiful. It scales well at all forced lower resolutions also, and reason looks twice as good at 1440x900 than it does on my native 1440x900 laptop.

There might be a possibility that el capitan will provide a boost too.. but the problem is, apple's OS boosts never seem to work for high load audio applications. Logic has a special way of dealing with this, as does, more recently, Cubase 8 and a few other hosts, by buffering the playback channels onto a high latency engine and only having the armed/live channels at the true chosen latency. Some of the most experienced folk in building machines and benchmarking them specifically for audio, have confirmed repeatedly that windows ALWAYS throttles the macs in audio benchmarks on similar spec machines. The only way to ever get close is to "cheat' and use logic (logic still performs the best, even though the other "hybrid" daw's are catching up). But I feel a DAW like Reason is actually more at the mercy than most any other host with mac OS, as Normen has explained before, with the way it's live buffering block system works. I don't know the technical details, but I do know in layman's terms there is absolutely no cheating of any kind ever going on - it is always running at the realtime chosen latency.

This is also why S1 performs so poorly on mac. A customer might be totally satisfied and think what a great machine they have but I mean this in comparison to windows. To give an example, my windows laptop gets 64 ambience reverb at highest quality setting at 128 buffer on S1 V2.5 on windows. S1 also has no cheat buffer, unlike many other DAW's. It is always running at the user's chosen latency, i.e realtime. The mac, at only 100mhz less, get's 15 ambience in S1. 15. Logic get's 50 - that's logic's trickery at play. It really doesn't matter in the end, as long as the tracks we are monitoring are at low latency, and all these hybrid hosts do provide that feature. I am all for any methods to make the mac perform better, as long as it's not obtrusive to me and still let's me record vocals/instruments at whatever latency I want. So I say, the more adopting this "trick", the merrier.

Reason buffers differently, and from what I understand would not benefit from this sort of hybrid engine. Indeed on all my machines, I get more or less the same performance at 128 than I do at 1024, in Reason. Even 2048 doesn't really make a noticeable difference, just a few less crackles. But ultimate RE count is the same.

So now we get to my windows laptop - the first thing I will tell you is this - it gets 24 seconds in the benchmark test. So way more than my similar clock, similar architecture macbook. Short of the retina.. but there is ONE HUGE DIFFERENCE - unlike the retina, it does that *entire* 24 seconds without a single pop or crackle. This is using onboard realtek sound with asio 4 all. The retina is crackling from 10 or so seconds onwards to the overload message.
So what is happening with the windows machine, is that it's simply getting to it's 95% cutout ceiling that has been set, and is displaying the overload message. It hasn't actually had any audible glitches. So now it all makes sense.

The windows machine is set to high performance mode. Using throttlestop utility (excellent btw), i monitored real time core speed and it was always at maximum turbo for that chip. The fans were on all the time, but the temps were always fine. Unlike my macbook, which starts out silent but when under any real load becomes unbearable, the windows laptop does it differently. It is never ever quiet but as a payoff always runs it's clock speed at maximum (of course only if high performance profile is chosen). This is inline with what a daw builder told me, you will never get a quiet laptop in windows like mac, especially the retina ones. You sacrifice noise for performance. Unless you go desktop.
I find laptop noise a little obnoxious to tell you the truth, as it's right in one's face, and the fans do annoy me. But the fans of my macbook at full speed annoy me even more, and when using a medium-busy audio project of any kind, they are *always* at full speed. It's only super quiet when browsing or watching movies. This will be moot with the retina if i upgrade, as that is a super silent machine.. kudos to apple for that. But is it worth it to sacrifice THAT much performance?

You see, this is the dilemma - the mac OS just does not deal with high load/low latency well - at all. Never has never will. It is rice krispie city. I am literally sitting in front of this windows machine with it maxed out at 128 buffer and it is not making ONE SINGLE POP. So even though the ultimate amount of RE's is the same before "overload" message, it has a much much higher usable range. How much higher?

In the single core Tsar RE test - this windows laptop, at 64.... yes 64 buffer... gets 8 instances with zero crackles or pops, inline on one track. This is with the cpu ceiling at 80% like the mac, to be fair. That's 8 tsars at 64 buffer vs 6 at 256 buffer. Get the picture? ;)
At 128 buffer and 90% ceiling, it GETS 10! 40% more! But the big thing once again is it does it without any audio quality degradation.

I still need to test multitrack total tsars over 4 cores/multiple tracks, but am tired and really wanted to get this message out. So the remaining tests will be to do this on the windows laptop and the retina, so i cam compare them with the dismal 11 of my current macbook, and do a few more cpu hungry RE count tests.

And the short version is this: Core for Core, an almost 3 year old windows laptop has minimum 25% better RE performance, at lower buffer (64 or 128), than a current retina mac, at higher buffer (256), in Reason 8.3. And even though it can't beat the retina in the benchmark song test for sheer seconds, it plays it till it can no longer play it, without any sound degradation, where as the retina is rice krispie city. So in effect, in any scenario, an outdated, older, lower clocked (2300 mhz vs 2500 mhz), lower ram, lower speed HDD (450 mb/s vs 2000 mb/s), windows laptop has more usable real world power, when using Reason 8.3, than a current generation retina macbook pro. That's a thousand dollar laptop vs over 3.5K. (aussie prices).

One has to decide, at some point, how loyal they are to apple, especially us Reason users, when we are losing so much performance. I can only imagine how a current gen windows laptop would perform. It would be astonishing. Let alone a desktop. Oh for anyone's that's interested in DPC latency, the windows laptop is in the 50's the whole time with wireless net disabled, and not over 250 (i.e. still green) with wireless enabled (atheros brand, intel would be even better).

Now comes the bad part. Using windows for such a long period (comparatively), reminded me just how much I hate the OS. Nothing makes sense, and it's all so complicated. By the way, codemeter screws your system restore. You have to uninstall codemeter before you go to a restore point or it will fail.. And if you do what I did, and put your reason license to the hard drive in this case, and don't put it back in your account before your system restore, you lose it. For real. You have to "release" the computer with propellerhead and you can only do that one time, being at their mercy for any future mistakes. I was very lucky. I did not want to waste my one "extra license" on a system restore. So i undid the restore, and the license reappeared, then i moved it back to my account cloud, then re uninstalled codemeter, then re did the restore. It was to do with a synaptics driver problem that i fudged up so i had to absolutely get back to that restore point.

I dunno how current gen are, but there's another thing. The windows laptop's trackpad is well, complete shit compared to the liquid gold mac's.
Are they any better these days?

And all this registry bullshit I had to deal with in just one day of use. I removed bing which i had installed for some stupid reason and it didn't want to go out of my msconfig.. ccclean to the rescue.. but why should we have to?

And no quick look with spacebar.. no snapper/audio finder or alternative - heck, i couldn't even see the reason start up log in screen properly and was confused till I realised i had to turn off aero.. and just like mac, reason doesn't take advantage of any graphics acceleration - it just stays on the intel HD4000 rather than switch to the radeon 7670.

I can now say without a shadow of a doubt, that if you are worried about Reason performance, your going to get the most bang for your buck with windows, by a landslide (especially when we factor in money). There is simply no comparison. And you'll be able to work at a lower latency consistently without crackles and pops (imagine if reason gets fully hyperthread optimised also in future - wowee).
Unless you are a hardcore logic or DP user, I can't see a compelling reason to buy a mac, unless you just love using the OS. Which is where I am at. What do I do? Do i just force myself to get used to windows? After all, I used it at home (macs were in the studio), for all my personal composition from 1997-2008. From Logic 3 through 5, to cubase sx3 through 4. And i never even thought of macs back then. I didn't care. They actually gave me the shits in the studio (G3 450 - hoovers) and I had my quiet custom built windows desktop with pulsar 2 card and pentium 3 1000 LOL. I LOVED it. And afterwards, especially my athlon 2.6ghz (single core days) - man, are they memories or what.

Or do i just face reality, that my current laptop SUCKS for reason performance and that i need to buy a retina to have semi decent performance, or just keep this little windows gem of a laptop, and buy a custom made, kick ass, quiet, windows 6 core desktop to use in my room and have the laptop if I am about and about - and let the mac finish off my remaining logic projects? But if I choose a retina, even though my parents are getting me the next laptop as a gift, how can I feel right taking 4500 off them (that's how much a full specced 2.8 is here) when for 2.5K i can have a hexacore windows beast with 32gb ram, and 4 ssd? And keep the perfectly good windows laptop i already have for mobile duties? And that this old windows laptop is beating a brand new retina mac in reason performance tests? Does it really make any sense to buy a mac for reason at all? I can imagine logic in the retina would be amazing, but I haven't even bothered trying it as all my composition is continually is transitioning to reason. No point even discussing a mac pro, it is 11K with screen for the way i would want it, and that's only with 1TB of storage, not counting extra external drives I would need.

There are so many pros and cons - on site applecare VS custom made desktop = different warranties and manufacturers for different parts. VS osx sleek and ergonomic interface to windows explorer disaster..VS no clutter to registry BS? VS no real virus worry to having to very seriously get a top antivirus suite? VS losing so many features like core audio being able to use as many apps open simultaneously as you want, at different latencies with the same 2 outputs, vs asio host hogging? VS having integrated audio preview to not? VS the amazing spotlight to terrible windows slow search? VS integrated midi app to app routing to having to find the right 3rd party utility (think reason controlling external vst synths here)? VS knowing for a fact that reason mac never crashes to reading about some crashes from members here in windows? VS buying a turnkey machine to having to do heaps of research and pick every part correctly? The list goes on.. I can tell you this much, IF the mac performed just "on par" with windows, i would never ever consider using a windows machine ever again. But as my daw professional building friends have been telling me for years, windows simply performs much better for audio, especially at load.

So to summarise, and the real important bit: Windows thrashes OSX in reason/RE/low latency performance. There is no comparison in that one area. I felt it necessary to get that info out there as I have read too many "retina mac not giving me great reason performance" posts over the years. Oh and FWIW, the license did update quicker on windows, but failed 2 out of 4 times. LOL.

------------------------------------------------IF TL;DR - conclusion below---------------------------------------

Just to make this a bit easier to digest and not torture you to read the lot, let's make it simple. Let's list the results of the machines first that are very close in terms of specs. 2 laptops, one 2.2 ghz (mac), one 2.3 ghz (windows). Only sandy and ivy bridge separating them. The mac gets 10 seconds in the benchmark test with crackles the entire way. The windows box gets 28 seconds with not a single pop or crackle. The windows box can then do 24 seconds at 256 buffer which is a latency I did not even attempt on the mac, as it scored so poorly at 1024 buffer SO, the windows laptop has 2.8x the usable power of the more expensive mac, which cost me $2500 vs $1000.
That really says it ALL, doesn't it? I mean really, the performance difference is frightening. Ridiculous. Amazing. All of the above.

For the icing on the cake, the retina 2.5ghz haswell mac with supercharged everything inside, got 40 seconds at 1024 buffer - and only 10 seconds of that was clear audio - from 11seconds through 40 it was all snap crackle pop. THE END.

Gaja

14 Jul 2015

Thanks for the tests Theo.
I think for me, personally, there's just no way I could deal with all that registry and dll stuff. I'm really retarded when it comes to these things and I easily destroy windows machines from casual use. After that dashing 386 running win 3.11, I never owned a windows based machine that lasted longer than 6 months (which is surely due to user error, but still very expensive in the long run). My 2005 iBook still does what it did back then, slightly slower, yes, but it still works. That's about 20 times as long as any windows machine I've owned since the 386.
So for me it is obvious that I'm not willing to shell ot the money for 10 computers in five years, I'd rather spend the money for 1 conputer for the price of 5 that lasts 10 years.
Also I would lime to express doubts that I (or anyone in my company) would survive mixing a movie for cinema in ProTools on a win based machine.

So yes I'm willing to sacrifice the performance for user experience.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

KEVMOVE02

14 Jul 2015

To echo some of the things Gaja said, it is admirable that you took the time and energy to perform all the diagnostic work to reach your conclusions. It is borderline heroic that you took the time to write down everything to share with us. There was a time when I would have the energy to apply everything shared in this article, but alas, I rarely run into situations where my compositions tax the processing power of my system, so I would be averse to tweaking my system to get better performance.

Theo.M

14 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:Thanks for the tests Theo.
I think for me, personally, there's just no way I could deal with all that registry and dll stuff. I'm really retarded when it comes to these things and I easily destroy windows machines from casual use. After that dashing 386 running win 3.11, I never owned a windows based machine that lasted longer than 6 months (which is surely due to user error, but still very expensive in the long run). My 2005 iBook still does what it did back then, slightly slower, yes, but it still works. That's about 20 times as long as any windows machine I've owned since the 386.
So for me it is obvious that I'm not willing to shell ot the money for 10 computers in five years, I'd rather spend the money for 1 conputer for the price of 5 that lasts 10 years.
Also I would lime to express doubts that I (or anyone in my company) would survive mixing a movie for cinema in ProTools on a win based machine.

So yes I'm willing to sacrifice the performance for user experience.

I understand that perfectly. I feel a bit stupid though because of all these years of performance tests I have always claimed that reason is the problem itself cause it can't get to a high usable portion of your computer's power without snap crackle pop, which is why i have my mac set at 75% as there is no point to go higher. But now I know that all my previous reporting is only valid on mac. So I owe all windows users an apology.
Because, on windows, as long as you have speedstep disabled, you can effectively use a 95% reason ceiling without any audio degradation. Now I get why others had told me they have their set at 90 or 95% and have no problems. There is no way of disabling speedstep on mac and that is basically what the difference is. Furthermore, when Vin from dawbench tested a hackintosh with a bios that made sure all cpu's were running at max speed without throttling, the windows box still ate the mac for breakfast at low latency (he had it as dual boot). This points to fundamental flaws in the mac's ability to load the cpu at low latency audio.

Because I was setting up the retina for my sister and asked her if i could install Reason to test it and she kindly said yes, I had done only this: Opened the box, turned the retina on, installed reason/codemeter/re's, rebooted, launched reason. This is a brand new machine with a fully empty HD. No extra drivers installed yet, no clutter, nothing. So no one can turn around and say to me that I had done something wrong and that's why Reason has poor performance in this case.

I would do the same on a brand new retina if I bought one, as in put the ceiling at 75% so if i wanted to work at 128 or 256 I would at least have that entire range without rice krispie city.

That's the bit that disturbs me so much Fredhoven. The fact that one can't really make use of all their retina's power and the fact that single core loading was so poor in comparison to a dated windows box. The beauty with apple is they allow returns for the first 2 weeks so i can tell you now, if i order a 2.8 maxed out retina, and it doesn't get 10 tsars inline like the windows 2.3 3 year old cheap laptop does, I will return it. Is it unreasonable to expect that a brand new $4500 laptop should perform at least on par with an old $1000 one?

You know, though, some of this rests on props. Steinberg had complaints for years about cubase and how people on windows could do so much more. Starting with version 7 they improved it but version 8 is the real corker. And they even boldly say it : the performance difference, especially on macs, is huge. They never would have bothered improving it otherwise as windows users did not have any real issues. I know reason buffers in a unique fashion but when they sit down and decide to add pdc they should rethink the whole engine in order to maximise performance. Steinberg did, Avid did, Motu, and it works. There were expectations presonus would for S1 V3 but it's worse than V2 lol.

Remember all my tests are done with on board audio, so a box with a really good RME card with stellar drivers would likely show even more of a difference. In fact, i could get a windows machine and the very best interface RME make for the same price as the mac alone.

The way all hardware integrates and works so sublimely with mac can not be denied. You just buy one and turn it on. Heck, no bios to deal with is a huge thing in itself IMO. Ultimately I am torn and have to think carefully, but I do know i need a new machine as this 2011 macbook really does suck for reason, but I could inject new life and put an ssd and 16gb ram, get a dust blow out done, and keep it around as a dedicated logic box for my 1000's of older songs. That probably makes sense. As for moving forward with Reason, that's just become a very difficult decision for me on which platform to use. If I buy a windows box and dedicate it only to reason, i don't envisage registry or OS issues. I am not planning on gaming and installing junk all over it. Or even another DAW.

I will have some more results using other RE's the next couple days, and will list those then.

freeQlow

14 Jul 2015

Man, Do you build PCs?

I thought I geeks out on my build, I think it was because it was my 3rd build.

"Everyone says they can" but I paid $400 for a nice Asus77 Motherboard, i5 3rd gen, 8 GB ram, 128 SSD. windows 7 64 pro.
Added 850watt power, 2 TB 7200, 8 GB Ram, Firewire PCIE, and finally a 2nd 128 SSD.

All under $900 and it's beast mode.

Do you do a lot of mastering/mixing on your Mac? I have never seen myself spending that much. I can tell you're passionate (I did not read the entire thread)

What would you build for under $1000 is my main reason for posting.

Now I'm going to check your speeds! Scrolling up

Data_Shrine

15 Jul 2015

I recall reading that the recent macbook pro audio architecture causes higher latency and lower performance, and that the problem is linked to hardware design, not software.

My 2009 mbp had equal or lower audio latency (in ableton live) compared to my mbp retina, using CoreAudio.

Theo.M

16 Jul 2015

Data_Shrine wrote:I recall reading that the recent macbook pro audio architecture causes higher latency and lower performance, and that the problem is linked to hardware design, not software.

My 2009 mbp had equal or lower audio latency (in ableton live) compared to my mbp retina, using CoreAudio.

wow that's pretty serious...

alot of it has to do with the non configurable efi from what I have read but maybe there are even more issues in the newest models.

A simple way to test it (well a very time consuming one) would be to install windows via bootcamp, disable throttling with the myriad of tools out there, and if it performs killer, then we know the problem is more mac os. If not, then the hardware.

Palmeira

16 Jul 2015

Nice post Theo, great work man!

Eagleizer

18 Jul 2015

Great work Theo! Now I never have to explain this to people who want to buy MAC ever again. :)

Cheers :)

Eagleizer

18 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:I think for me, personally, there's just no way I could deal with all that registry and dll stuff.
No reason to know anything about DLL and Registry.
I got inspired by your post and posted this:

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 38#p213338

Everything you need to know/do to have a clean and happy Win7 PC.

Jmax

18 Jul 2015

Excellent read Theo and quite enjoyed the story :) hope your health is doing a bit better these days.

Yes I have two custom built Desktop PC's, built by my best friend, my go to computer guy. The latest one being an AMD A8, 3.60 GHz, with 32 Gig of ram. This isn't even the main Pc I use Reason on. The other PC is similar with an AMD 3.2 GHz chip and 16 ram.

My friend has a 27 Imac and it's beautiful but I find really hard to navigate to the PC.

I've always found Windows to be much easier to navigate then mac. Much quicker to get to folders and settings. Yes there are more bugs but it's also easier to customize.

One interesting thing is I use a Presonus 44vsl audio interface and at 256 I will get crackling, pops. 512 seems to be fine. I'm not sure why that is as I figured my system could handle the 256 but maybe its the card itself which was expensive about 300 dollars. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Presonus fan and just got Studio One 3 and it is truly beaeutiful. My fav after Ableton Live which still gets most of my time outside of Reason.

I debated weather to buy a mac or not with my next machine. But as my friend suggested and you for the money its like apple's and oranges. To get anything close in the Mac world I'm looking at $3500.. and that's not even with extra drives just the 1TB nonsense. I'd much rather spend $1500 and build from scratch beautiful case, solid mother board a super chip and I'm talking like 6-8 cores Intel and 32 gigs ram. I hear 64 gigs of ram are coming lol..craziness. 16 is probably fine but i like to have the 32.

Anyways thanks for your story and time comparing enjoyed the read :)

Ostermilk

18 Jul 2015

One thing I like about your posts Theo is your thoroughness when you decide to take something on. Your input has often unearthed bugs in RE's and in Reason itself which have led to actual real world improvements in these products.

You focus and attention to detail when doing this kind of thing is breathtaking.

Kudos.

On the Codemeter issue with Windows I'm not sure if it's related to System Restore or not because System Restore is basically garbage anyway so I don't use it but it's worth checking if you are using an ignition key on Windows that it has been configured as a Removable drive and not a local one otherwise you'll get the well documented bug of deleted files not appearing in your Recycle Bin.
For CodeMeter Driver version 4.30 and above

Search for CodeMeter Command Prompt and double-click to run it.
A command window will appear.
Type the following & press Enter or Return: cmu32/sx-xxxxxxx –set-config-disk RemovableDisk

Where x-xxxxxxx is the serial number printed on the USB key starting with the first number digit after “SN:”
Make sure you include a space after x-xxxxxxx and disk
Source:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubl ... wn-issues/

Gaja

19 Jul 2015

Eagleizer wrote:
Gaja wrote:I think for me, personally, there's just no way I could deal with all that registry and dll stuff.

Thansk for taking the time for putting this together. But really for how I function these are just way too many things to remember and do regularly. I need my computer to just work without having to put additional thought into making it work. I know it would be possible to get used to it, but I'd probably kill a few computers before not having to think about it anymore.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Eagleizer

19 Jul 2015

Gaja wrote:
Eagleizer wrote:

Thansk for taking the time for putting this together. But really for how I function these are just way too many things to remember and do regularly. I need my computer to just work without having to put additional thought into making it work. I know it would be possible to get used to it, but I'd probably kill a few computers before not having to think about it anymore.

Thanks for your reply!

If you ever decide to get a PC again, just follow my tip
and you`ll be fine ;) It`s easy.. I`ve used MAC before, and
there are tons of things you can do to break it, just like in
Windows ;)

Theo.M

19 Jul 2015

Jmax wrote:Excellent read Theo and quite enjoyed the story :) hope your health is doing a bit better these days.

Yes I have two custom built Desktop PC's, built by my best friend, my go to computer guy. The latest one being an AMD A8, 3.60 GHz, with 32 Gig of ram. This isn't even the main Pc I use Reason on. The other PC is similar with an AMD 3.2 GHz chip and 16 ram.

My friend has a 27 Imac and it's beautiful but I find really hard to navigate to the PC.

I've always found Windows to be much easier to navigate then mac. Much quicker to get to folders and settings. Yes there are more bugs but it's also easier to customize.

One interesting thing is I use a Presonus 44vsl audio interface and at 256 I will get crackling, pops. 512 seems to be fine. I'm not sure why that is as I figured my system could handle the 256 but maybe its the card itself which was expensive about 300 dollars. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Presonus fan and just got Studio One 3 and it is truly beaeutiful. My fav after Ableton Live which still gets most of my time outside of Reason.

I debated weather to buy a mac or not with my next machine. But as my friend suggested and you for the money its like apple's and oranges. To get anything close in the Mac world I'm looking at $3500.. and that's not even with extra drives just the 1TB nonsense. I'd much rather spend $1500 and build from scratch beautiful case, solid mother board a super chip and I'm talking like 6-8 cores Intel and 32 gigs ram. I hear 64 gigs of ram are coming lol..craziness. 16 is probably fine but i like to have the 32.

Anyways thanks for your story and time comparing enjoyed the read :)
Hi Jmax, thanks for good wishes. Of course any OS is a very subjective thing. I am not one of those fellows that has ever gotten involved in the silly debates and "hate" for either platform. Truth be told I only moved to mac in 2008 cause I just missed Logic too much, and i got used to the mac. Both systems have strengths and weaknesses, just like every daw on the planet has plus and minuses. I don't even believe the bugs either - windows is perfectly stable. Mac has it's share of bugs, otherwise there wouldn't be security updates and bug fixes LOL!

Now regarding your latency issue. The first thing is please go here http://www.thesycon.com/eng/latency_check.shtml

run the program for 5 minutes and tell me your peak number. This is the standard well known utility to do before anything else, if you have problems in windows at low latency.

if it's in the green the entire time and no higher than about 250 (the microsecond number in the utility, you will see what i mean, lower is always best), a 256 buffer, or even a 128 should NOT be a problem. That would indicate something else. It really does sound like a DPC issue to me TBH, cause when you have dpc spikes, higher latency always fixes it. Presonus, truth be told, are also known to have random issues with drivers. But studio one and the VSL are made to integrate a special way, so you should in theory even be able to work at 64. Heck, in my laptop, i can work in studio one at 64 easily as I said in another post. I can load it to max cpu.. well say, 80%.. at 128, i can do absolutely anything I want. This is with either an mbox3 or the on board audio with asio 4 all.

if you are comfortable with windows, and are not using mac only software, there really isn't any reason for you to get a mac. Use what you know and are happy with man!

Now please do me that favour, go check the dpc, get back to me, and we will work out your system to get it working at low latency, either with bios tweaks or drivers and disabling stuff. Also if you don't mind, on the system giving you the issue, can you tell me the motherboard you are using also? Cheers!

Theo.M

19 Jul 2015

Ostermilk wrote:One thing I like about your posts Theo is your thoroughness when you decide to take something on. Your input has often unearthed bugs in RE's and in Reason itself which have led to actual real world improvements in these products.

You focus and attention to detail when doing this kind of thing is breathtaking.

Kudos.

On the Codemeter issue with Windows I'm not sure if it's related to System Restore or not because System Restore is basically garbage anyway so I don't use it but it's worth checking if you are using an ignition key on Windows that it has been configured as a Removable drive and not a local one otherwise you'll get the well documented bug of deleted files not appearing in your Recycle Bin.
For CodeMeter Driver version 4.30 and above

Search for CodeMeter Command Prompt and double-click to run it.
A command window will appear.
Type the following & press Enter or Return: cmu32/sx-xxxxxxx –set-config-disk RemovableDisk

Where x-xxxxxxx is the serial number printed on the USB key starting with the first number digit after “SN:”
Make sure you include a space after x-xxxxxxx and disk
Source:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubl ... wn-issues/
Hi Ostermilk thanks for the kind words and hints. I have more results coming that I have been doing over the weekend. In all the results the windows laptop is winning in performance, as in, the 3 yo 2.3 ghz windows laptop is beating the brand new 2.5 retina mac. In all tests but one - the benchmark. But I have a question to ask.. is 28 seconds of zero pop/crackle audio, really worse of a result than 40 seconds of constant crackles? The mac is undeniably the more powerful machine when regarding sheer horsepower but the OS simply does not allow Reason to make the best use of it, unlike windows. I have a feeling windows on the retina mac would trump all my scores so far. I hope i can convince my sis to let me keep it a few more days as I am dying to try it.

Re codemeter, i got to say, system restore has saved my life a few times but I only use it in special cases.. for example if i am demoing something and want traces gone, i make a restore point, install the demo, when i am finished, uninstall the demo first, then run the restore and it always works. Sorry you have had bad experiences with it. With windows, as i said I lost my license due to a restore point.. I do indeed have an ignition key but i decided to put the reason license and on my windows disk and when the issues happened was not using the key at all (i.e not even plugged in).

I probably explained it wrong. The codemeter driver being installed, as in the full driver that allows hard drive/ignition key authorisation (you don't need to install it to run reason via account login only), does not allow system restore to run. It always fails. What one must do is uninstall codemeter then run the restore. If codemeter was something that was installed at the point you go back to, it still works and comes back! for example, i have codemeter installed and reason, i make a restore point. A few restore points later, and codemeter is no longer installed as i have removed it. Going back to that first restore point puts it back.

BUT, it can't be installed when you actually run the restore. Not on windows 7 at least (all service packs/updates up to date).

So because i had moved the reason license to my hard drive, and went to a restore point before i had put that license there, my props account told me that i had a license issue due to going back to a deferent point in time and to reverse that to try get the license back. If i couldn't, i would have to use a "grace" license, a one time thing, to re enable my reason off line license. Any future "grace" licenses are at the discretion of propellerhead. I didn't really want to use my emergency license, so i uninstalled codemeter again, LOL, then undid the restore point, and then re installed codemeter, and i got my license back, immediately moved it to the safety of my props account, uninstalled codemeter, then ran the restore again.

The issue was i accidentally let windows install it's own driver for the synaptics touch pad and it had this permanent feature of single click on the pad itself to select/open - i only want to use the buttons - and i was going crazy accidentally performing actions i never intended, so i wanted to get back to the synaptics driver. The synaptics driver on their site didn't recognise my trackpad, so i had to go back to the point of the samsung factory installed one.. and i did not want to run a factory reset and wipe all the stuff i had installed. When i had performed the necessary things to run a system restore properly, as usual, it saved me and worked perfectly.

• Information