8.3 update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rice

30 Jun 2015

I'm really digging the update process...it was pretty seamless for me. Loving the update as well

jfrichards

30 Jun 2015

deankay wrote:Ah no, so disappointed. Thought the Zoom fucntiion was going to be an actual rack zoom where you could zoom in on Devices.
Silly me :frown:
Ocean of Waves wrote:
why would anyone want to do that?
Are people afraid of OS zoom?  I use it every day.  It gives me a 14" x 14" Thor on my 27" iMac.  With Very Precise knob range, it's like having a real synth to work on.

EnochLight

30 Jun 2015

jfrichards wrote:Are people afraid of OS zoom?  I use it every day.  It gives me a 14" x 14" Thor on my 27" iMac.  With Very Precise knob range, it's like having a real synth to work on.
True, it's great.  But it also makes Reason look like a fuzzy Minecraft level when zooming in via OS zoom on Windows...   ;)

Compared to how it could look - such as on the "high def" Retina version on iOS:

Attachments
thor-keyboard-screen.jpg
thor-keyboard-screen.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Lunesis

30 Jun 2015

Anybody know where I'm supposed to put my FSB and Orkester (Windows) so that 8.3 sees them?

ScuzzyEye

30 Jun 2015

Lunesis wrote:Anybody know where I'm supposed to put my FSB and Orkester (Windows) so that 8.3 sees them?
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\ID8\ID8.dat
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Orkester\Orkester.rfl
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Reason 8\Factory Sound Bank.rfl

And for Essentials users...
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Reason Essentials 8\Factory Sound Bank.rfl

(ProgramData is a hidden folder.)

Lunesis

30 Jun 2015

Lunesis wrote:Anybody know where I'm supposed to put my FSB and Orkester (Windows) so that 8.3 sees them?
ScuzzyEye wrote: C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\ID8\ID8.dat
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Reason 8\Factory Sound Bank.rfl
You rock ;)

Edit: Looks like it only needed to download the IDT.. it recognized the other two in the Reason 8 folder like usual.

jonheal

30 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:... Compared to how it could look - such as on the "high def" Retina version on iOS ...
200% zoom isn't too nasty, and at least geezers like me can read the teeny type.

On the other hand, watching that magnified rectangle bounce around the screen gives me a seizure so maybe I'll just get glasses.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

clone

30 Jun 2015

Ok, I ask every update, where do I place the sound banks when I install software?

Lunesis

30 Jun 2015

clone wrote:Ok, I ask every update, where do I place the sound banks when I install software?
Go to C drive > Program Files > Propellerhead > Reason 8 > and paste them here

kitekrazy

01 Jul 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\ID8\ID8.dat

And for Essentials users...
C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Reason Essentials 8\Factory Sound Bank.rfl

(ProgramData is a hidden folder.)
 I'm assuming there was no need to download and install the soundbanks again.

Lunesis

01 Jul 2015

joeyluck wrote:Doesn't the update download the ReFills for you and place them in the folders for you?
After the fact I think. If you already had em and pasted them back into the Reason 8 folder like I did then it should put them into the new folders automatically.

ScuzzyEye

01 Jul 2015

Lunesis wrote:After the fact I think. If you already had em and pasted them back into the Reason 8 folder like I did then it should put them into the new folders automatically.
Yeah, it looks for the files in the "Reason" program folder (and it seems "Reason 8" also), if it finds the sound banks, it moves them to the new locations (I listed above). If the sound banks can't be found, they will then be downloaded.

decibel

01 Jul 2015

props seem pretty determined to herd the stray sheep (R7 users) back into the flock :) lol, surely to make R9  a paid upgrade its going to have to be fairly monumental ?

joeyluck

01 Jul 2015

If folks haven't watched the video yet—you should. They highlight in the beginning pretty boldly the point of not waiting until whole number releases to introduce features. I think Reason 8 will be around for a bit longer.

If they can continue to add features with point updates, they can continue to get more folks on board with the same version. I don't see a difference in waiting until Reason 9 (for unknown features) if features you want are presented to you now. But if not, don't say, "I'm waiting until Reason 9." Instead say, "I'm waiting until Reason 8.4" ;)  

And towards the end they say... "If you're using Reason 7 or earlier, there's never been a better time to upgrade."

zeebot

01 Jul 2015

There is nothing in the new video or from what I see in the upgrade that urges me to upgrade from 7.1 still. R8 was a bit of a turn off for me. Browser works fine for me in 7.1, no interest in the amps, don't care about zoom functionality, no interest in Discover, from what I've seen the 'workflow' improvements are more of a hinderance to my style of working and I still don't like the new transport bar. Only thing that peaks my interest is the new mkII reverb and I don't think that is worth 129 of my monetary units.
I'm quite confident to still say I will wait to see what R9 offers no matter when it arrives.
R7.1 is absolutely adequate for my needs and suits me fine.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Tumble

01 Jul 2015

So glad they sorted the MIDI focus. Was driving me mad before.

Soft Enerji

01 Jul 2015

playfio wrote: Hi All

First post here...I've been running reason 8.0 for a good while, I didn't see the need to update to version 8.2 for the sake of additional colour options. Now I'm tempted to upgrade to 8.3.

I'm just a bit cautious - when I upgrade, am I going to lose stuff like all my current settings / control surfaces / audio drivers??
It took a good while to get certain external MIDI gear working with Reason 8.0 - hope the upgrade doesn't return all my settings to default..

Has anyone got any experience / advice of updating and whether any settings are lost / soundbank locations changed etc..

Thanks
Howdy

For the most part Reason updates/upgrades are painless. Always have been for me anyway, but there have been instances where some folks have had problems. Prior to this update you had to move your FSB and Orkester soundbanks out of the Reason Folder otherwise they'd be toast and you'd have to dl them again. Seeing as you are still on 8.0 I'd strongly recommend you do that. Simply move 'em to your desktop until the update is done then move 'em back.

Golden rule is to never keep ReFills in you Reason folder as they'll be toast too!

As far as your external gear goes I can't comment coz I don't know what you've got.........I guess maybe make some note in case the worst happens.........

I'm updating from within Reason 8.2 as I type this and looking forward to a seamless transition.

Cheers

Mark

Soft Enerji

01 Jul 2015

Yup, absolutely seamless.......

Props to the Props :s0801:

ArcoZ

01 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:Just updated! I tried some samples with the RV7000 MK2 but the sound crackled with my own samples. Looking forward to try out the samples that Props have made for it.
It is the bug in RV7000 mk2.
Already reported to PH

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:Just updated! I tried some samples with the RV7000 MK2 but the sound crackled with my own samples. Looking forward to try out the samples that Props have made for it.
ArcoZ wrote: It is the bug in RV7000 mk2.
Already reported to PH
And is not 100% reproducible, at least on my end.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

mrj1nx

01 Jul 2015

decibel wrote:props seem pretty determined to herd the stray sheep (R7 users) back into the flock :) lol, surely to make R9  a paid upgrade its going to have to be fairly monumental ?
I'm all for continous updates, love it, but R7 is awesome and I have sooo many new REs that it feels like Reason 10 already. if they want me to jump on the R8 update from 7, they need to either announce that a. There will be no more paid updates after 8 or b. R9 will come but the wait will be unreasonably long, like late 2016+ Right now its too risky to update, it will just be such a bummer to have to upgrade in 6 months again. I want to get back in sync with the upgrade cycle.

playfio

01 Jul 2015

Thanks Mark (Soft Enerji) & SuzzyEye - very helpful :)
 Prior to this update you had to move your FSB and Orkester soundbanks out of the Reason Folder otherwise they'd be toast and you'd have to dl them again. Seeing as you are still on 8.0 I'd strongly recommend you do that. Simply move 'em to your desktop until the update is done then move 'em back. 

Golden rule is to never keep ReFills in you Reason folder as they'll be toast too!
&
Reason 8.3 shouldn't have any problem importing the 8.0 settings. It even imports 7.1 settings just fine. But it does update the settings file, so if you try to go back, you'll have to set things up again. If you have any plans of going backward, you should back up your settings file before launching 8.3 for the first time.

Reason 8.2 did change the location of the factory sound banks (including Orkester.rfl, and ID8.dat). When you install 8.[23] over top of 8.1 or earlier, it'll find the old sound banks and move them to the new location. Reason also now has the ability to update or install missing sound banks

Data_Shrine

01 Jul 2015

About the new refill : It can't find it's own sample on one preset (haven't tested them all so far) - I get a file missing window showing up.  This is For RE8 version.

iramrezso

01 Jul 2015

I see this in the 8.3 change log:
  • Mixer scrollbar no longer overlaps the channel strip name labels
But the scroll bar still overlaps the channel strip names like before. Was looking forward to get it finally however.

• Information