Does Reason 8.0 provide a way to automate patching changes somehow?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jedijunk

28 Jun 2015

I'm new to Reason (Reason 8.0, late 2013 MBP computer). I have a Behringer x32 sound desk that I'm setting up to use as a USB audio interface for multitracking into Reason. 

WHAT I WANT: to record 32 audio tracks from the x32 while monitoring/playing back using the headphone jack on my MBP, but being able to quickly switch playback to the 32 outputs to the x32 interface. By "quickly" I mean I don't want to click-drag 32 virtual cables to re-patch them between the Internal Mixer and the Hardware Interface.

WHAT I'VE DONE: Set up a Reason file with 32 audio tracks and broken the internal mixer routing by patching from the Left direct out of each audio track to the corresponding Audio Output in the Hardware Interface. It works to record from the x32 and to play back to the x32, but not for headphone monitoring from the MBP's internal audio output to the headphone jack. If I use "Preferences" to switch back to internal output after recording, I only hear tracks one and two (of the 32) in my headphones. Which makes sense but isn't what I want. 

SO... is there a way to repatch all the audio tracks with one button or some kind of saved patch settings? I hope my description and question are clear...

ScuzzyEye

28 Jun 2015

There's no way to save output routing in a patch. It's a song file only thing.

What you could do, and it's a bit messy, is make parallel channels for all of the tracks. It might be best to limit yourself to 30, instead of the full 32. Once you have these 30 parallels, bus them all into one, and use the direct out of that bus to go to hardware channels 1&2.

So you 30 tracks, all with their direct outs going to your hardware.
They all have parallel channels.
Those parallel channels are all sent to a single bus.
That bus's direct output goes to hardare 1&2.

You just mute that bus when you're using the x32, and unmute it when you're using the internal audio.

ScuzzyEye

28 Jun 2015

Oh, I just realized that you can actually let that bus channel go to the standard master output, no need to wire it up directly to the hardware unless you want to bypass the master bus.

jedijunk

29 Jun 2015

Wait a second... when I tried adding a parallel channel I noticed that it connects to the "Parallel L - Pre Out" jack on the original audio track. So instead of adding parallel tracks (which is a bit messy as you've said), can I just connect from the Parallel L jack on each audio track to the desired hardware I/O output jack and leave the main output of the audio track going to the master section for headphone monitoring? I can't test this at the moment because the x32 is at a different location. 

ScuzzyEye

29 Jun 2015

jedijunk wrote:Wait a second... when I tried adding a parallel channel I noticed that it connects to the "Parallel L - Pre Out" jack on the original audio track. So instead of adding parallel tracks (which is a bit messy as you've said), can I just connect from the Parallel L jack on each audio track to the desired hardware I/O output jack and leave the main output of the audio track going to the master section for headphone monitoring? I can't test this at the moment because the x32 is at a different location. 
Yeah, I realized it could be even more simple after my second post, that the bus wasn't needed. So yeah, that should work.

• Information