Sidechain Compression

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

27 Jun 2015

Hi!

I'm always forgetting how to do this and getting confused.

I know there's a really simply way of sidechaining a sound using the SSL. Can somebody tell me how?

I have a Thor with a 4 bar white noise I want sidechaining and a Redrum with 4/4 kick drum on it. I know you only need tab to the back of the rack and take a wire from one thing to the other then turn the compressor on the mix channel. I haven't got this confused with gating have I? and you do need to add a MClass Compressor?

Anyway, the simplest method using the SSL would be great.

Thank You!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

submonsterz

27 Jun 2015

Creativemind wrote:Hi!

I'm always forgetting how to do this and getting confused.

I know there's a really simply way of sidechaining a sound using the SSL. Can somebody tell me how?

I have a Thor with a 4 bar white noise I want sidechaining and a Redrum with 4/4 kick drum on it. I know you only need tab to the back of the rack and take a wire from one thing to the other then turn the compressor on the mix channel. I haven't got this confused with gating have I? and you do need to add a MClass Compressor?

Anyway, the simplest method using the SSL would be great.

Thank You!
flip rack take drum to dynamics input back of mix channel switch on key and key on in ssl dial away ya compression settings job done.

Olivier

27 Jun 2015

You don't need an MClass for that.
Create a copy of your kick signal using a spider splitter, send that signal into the Dynamcs "sidechain input" on the back of the mix/audio track.
Go to the mixer, enable the compressor in the dynamics section of that track and dial in the compression.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Creativemind

27 Jun 2015

Can you explain the first part of the tutorial mate please. The spider bit. What do you mean by create a copy of your kick signal, just splitting it? if so I will need a what goes into what step by step method for this.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Olivier

27 Jun 2015

So, you want to hear the kick AND use it to drive the sidechain right ?

So that means you have to take the kick's audio and split it... send it to both a mix channel and the dynamics sidechain input of your thor's mixer channel.
Here's how this would look from the back of the rack.

I'm taking the kick signal seperately from the redrum because if you would use the main out of the redrum, and you'd be having a snare in there too and maybe hats or whatever else, then all these sounds would drive the sidechain.

There are however many more ways to route this..
Attachments
Knipsel.PNG
Knipsel.PNG (838.02 KiB) Viewed 4271 times

esselfortium

27 Jun 2015

I use a Spider like you do to send it to multiple channels, but if you only need to send it to one, you can use the Parallel output on the mix channel device.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Olivier

27 Jun 2015

I usually use the Invert Ducker method via the Send FX. Got it from the old PUF. I forgot who made that one though but it works a treat. And its so incredibly easy to dial in.

jam-s

27 Jun 2015

Much too complicated. Simply wire from the "parallel out" of your kick mix channel into the "dynamics in" of the thing you want to duck. No need for a spider unless you need to duck multiple things.

Lunesis

27 Jun 2015

Issue with the parallel out is that it will only send the signal dry, so if you add any processing to your kick it won't be duplicated in the sidechain.

jam-s

27 Jun 2015

Sure, but that might also be a feature, in case you want to process your side chain signal differently.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 Jun 2015

you can create another mix channel for sidechain processing, like this:

ebop

27 Jun 2015

I do it like how jam-s says. Kick parallel output to 3-4 spiders and hook those up to any number of instrument dynamic inputs.

Issue is, when the kick stops, so does the side-chain key input and bass or pad (for example) can get louder or change rhythmically all of a sudden if heavily pumped. So I set up a ghost kick track disconnected from the mixer to play (or not play in this case) all the way through the track including breakdowns etc. Depends on what you want I guess.

I also occasionally use an envelope generator for ducking which works pretty well. I asked JP about it and he set it up with Charlotte back in the PUF as I didn't really have a good grasp of how to use the RE. You can add a Skope RE in the chain and then can see how tweeking the envelope affects the side chain input by looking at a graphical display of the signal. Was quite an interesting way of doing it.

mbfrancis

29 Jun 2015

I always use FX sends - send the kick to FX 8, then have the FX 8 send from the master to the SC inout.  Much cleaner.  If necessary I spider the send so I can drive multiple compressors with different settings (attack, threshhold, etc.).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

scifunk

29 Jun 2015

No need for any side chaining in this instance for sound you have - just draw in the white noise notes on the upbeat ( I assume this is the affect you want) 1/8th of a bar long notes and adjust the release of the white noise to taste.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2015

scifunk wrote:No need for any side chaining in this instance for sound you have - just draw in the white noise notes on the upbeat ( I assume this is the affect you want) 1/8th of a bar long notes and adjust the release of the white noise to taste.
I was going to say something similar - just use a slow attack and trigger the white noise with a synced LFO or step sequencer on 1/4 notes!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

junkish

01 Jul 2015

Do you own the Synchronous rack extension?
It has multiple patches for sidechaning.
you just add it under the synth you want sidechained and select the sidechain patch
save alot of time :)
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/synchronous/
cost 49 dollars but I got it free with reason 7

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2015

junkish wrote: Do you own the Synchronous rack extension?
you just add it under the synth you want sidechained and select the sidechain patch
But it has nothing to do with "side-chaining", which is where you use one signal to side-chain another. Or to put it another way, if there is no side-chain or "key" input, you can't side-chain with a device!

What it DOES do is creates a wonderful "ducking" effect through, which many folks mistake for side-chaining because that's the traditional way of creating the effect. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

forensickbeats

01 Jul 2015

Wallet compression devices. 

junkish

01 Jul 2015

junkish wrote: Do you own the Synchronous rack extension?
selig wrote:
But it has nothing to do with "side-chaining", which is where you use one signal to side-chain another. Or to put it another way, if there is no side-chain or "key" input, you can't side-chain with a device!

What it DOES do is creates a wonderful "ducking" effect through, which many folks mistake for side-chaining because that's the traditional way of creating the effect. :)
true! silly me hehe ;)

djfm1983

01 Jul 2015

One thing I like to do is use a separate drum sample to send as my side chain input. That way I can control the decay of the signal being sent. I know how to use the attack and release knob but I find some times I can get it exactly how I want things to bouncy due to reason's unablility to set the knobs exactally where I want them.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2015

djfm1983 wrote:One thing I like to do is use a separate drum sample to send as my side chain input. That way I can control the decay of the signal being sent. I know how to use the attack and release knob but I find some times I can get it exactly how I want things to bouncy due to reason's unablility to set the knobs exactally where I want them.
It's now easy to type in values if you make them automate-able first.

But doesn't setting the decay of the signal being ALSO require setting precise values?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

KevTav

12 Jun 2016

So I LITERALLY joined this forum for this one thread.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and lost my ability to click on outbound link from with Reason's "Help" tab. I was really interested in the best, easiest method to create a side chain. Watched about 4 YouTube videos which ALL gave different ways and methods.

I just wanted to see what the "Key" function method was about. Still no clue.

I'll give some of these methods a try. I set up some of the examples I saw on YouTube and online, but no sound,no trigger, no luck.

I just want some Synths, or Bass to DUCK the damn Kick Drums/Bass in my mixes. That's all I want.

I report back if any of this works. I seem to know how to do almost everything else in Reason BUT this. It's been frustrating.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Gaja

12 Jun 2016

Wait you want the synth to trigger the kicks compressor, so the kick gets quieter, when the synth plays? Or do you want the synth to be quieter, when the kick hits (I guess it's this)? It's the same setup anyway, only the cabling goes the other way around. Just split your kick signal (by either using the parallel outs, insert outs, or a spider) and route it directly into the key input of the mix channel device. Turn on the compressor in the mixer and adjust to taste. It's really simple.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Chizmata

12 Jun 2016

eauhm wrote:You don't need an MClass for that.
Create a copy of your kick signal using a spider splitter, send that signal into the Dynamcs "sidechain input" on the back of the mix/audio track.
Go to the mixer, enable the compressor in the dynamics section of that track and dial in the compression.
or even easier, use the mixer channels parallel outout.

Olivier

12 Jun 2016

Chizmata wrote:
eauhm wrote:You don't need an MClass for that.
or even easier, use the mixer channels parallel outout.
True, one can use that. The crux of the story here is to create a copy of the signal.
Its just that taking the parallel output blocks creation of parallel channels, and i usually parallel proces my kicks.

• Information