Q: Switch between track list panel and arrangement panel in sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
artotaku

26 Jun 2015

I studied the R8 keyboard shortcuts but couldn´t find a solution.

Is there a way to switch between the track list view and arrangement view in the sequencer window without using the mouse?
By switching I mean that the view gets the focus.

selig
RE Developer

26 Jun 2015

artotaku wrote:I studied the R8 keyboard shortcuts but couldn´t find a solution.

Is there a way to switch between the track list view and arrangement view in the sequencer window without using the mouse?
By switching I mean that the view gets the focus.
Do you mean Song View, or maybe Blocks View?

Or do you mean moving between Edit and Song View? (command E on OS X)

Now sure what you mean because there is only one "view" that gets focus in the sequencer, and that's the sequencer. The main views are Sequencer, Rack, and Mixer, with the Tool Window maybe counting as a fourth view. The F-keys 6-8 cover changing focus between these main views.

More specific details are needed, I believe, unless I've already answered your question somewhere above!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

artotaku

26 Jun 2015

Sorry, panels would be the better word than views.

I mean the left panel in the sequencer window, where the MIDI tracks are located. If you click into this area the track list panel gets the keyboard focus (as indicated by a blue frame around the panel).
If you click on the arrangement panel the keyboard focus changes to that panel.
So depending on the panel the computer keyboard´s context changes e. g. the arrow keys change selection of MIDI tracks and in the arrangement panel you can select clips.

So my question is: Is it possible to switch between these two panels solely by computer keyboard?
My goal is to use as much keyboard shortcuts as possible but it seems once you are in the arrangement panel you cannot switch to the track list panel without using the mouse.

esselfortium

26 Jun 2015

^
I would be interested to know this, as well! I use the keyboard for quick navigation wherever possible, and when something doesn't allow it, it becomes a bit of a pain.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

artotaku

01 Jul 2015

I found a workaround and I´m happy to share it with you, maybe it is of use for someone.

Let me rephrase my goal first: I want to repeatedly navigate through rack devices and change patches of a selected device solely by computer keyboard. I´m on Reason 8.3.

Note that there is a possibility of assigning Additional Remote Overrides to a MIDI controller and do just that but you need a controller for that.
  1. Let´s say the computer keyboard focus is in the Arrangement panel of the Sequencer window because you edited some clips.
  2. Hit F6 to activate the Rack Window. It automatically gets the keyboard focus and you can navigate through the devices with arrow keys.
  3. On a selected device hit "Ctrl-B" (Windows). Now the patch browser gets the keyboard focus and you can navigate through the patches of the selected device.
  4. Problem is now how to give the Rack Window the computer keyboard focus again if you want to navigate to another device? Just hit F3 or F6 twice. This hides and shows the patch browser/Rack Window but gives the keyboard focus to the Rack Window and you can navigate through the devices again with arrow keys.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2015

artotaku wrote:I found a workaround and I´m happy to share it with you, maybe it is of use for someone.

Let me rephrase my goal first: I want to repeatedly navigate through rack devices and change patches of a selected device solely by computer keyboard. I´m on Reason 8.3.

Note that there is a possibility of assigning Additional Remote Overrides to a MIDI controller and do just that but you need a controller for that.
  1. Let´s say the computer keyboard focus is in the Arrangement panel of the Sequencer window because you edited some clips.
  2. Hit F6 to activate the Rack Window. It automatically gets the keyboard focus and you can navigate through the devices with arrow keys.
  3. On a selected device hit "Ctrl-B" (Windows). Now the patch browser gets the keyboard focus and you can navigate through the patches of the selected device.
  4. Problem is now how to give the Rack Window the computer keyboard focus again if you want to navigate to another device? Just hit F3 or F6 twice. This hides and shows the patch browser/Rack Window but gives the keyboard focus to the Rack Window and you can navigate through the devices again with arrow keys.
Now that I understand the question (sorry about that):

It's simpler than what you wrote, and you don't even have to leave the Sequencer.

Command B to browse patches on the current device focus, F3 to switch focus to other instruments. Arrow keys to browse/switch in each mode!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

artotaku

01 Jul 2015

Maybe I´m missing something, but if the computer keyboard focus is in the arrangement panel there is no way to give the focus to the track list panel without clicking with the mouse into that area.
Thus, Ctrl-B does not work. However, the trick is to open the Rack Window with F6, keyboard focus is now given to that window and I´m able to use Ctrl-B again.

So I should precise my goal by: I want to repeatedly navigate through rack devices and change patches of a selected device after having edited clips in the arrangement panel solely by computer keyboard.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jul 2015

artotaku wrote:Maybe I´m missing something, but if the computer keyboard focus is in the arrangement panel there is no way to give the focus to the track list panel without clicking with the mouse into that area.
Thus, Ctrl-B does not work. However, the trick is to open the Rack Window with F6, keyboard focus is now given to that window and I´m able to use Ctrl-B again.

So I should precise my goal by: I want to repeatedly navigate through rack devices and change patches of a selected device after having edited clips in the arrangement panel solely by computer keyboard.
I was assuming you already have a track selected - if you are editing a clip you are using a mouse/track device right? When editing, the arrow keys have a different function, as indicated by the blue line around the sequencer lanes. So when done editing, click on a track before putting the mouse "away" (only one more click), which returns "focus" to the track list. 

But maybe your point is that you want a key command to do this, which is a good feature request IMO. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

w1pl0c

24 Jul 2020

+1 for a key command to change the focus area. having a lot of trouble getting any use out of mapping directional arrows in the DAW. Using keyboard maestro (mac) to use midi for fun things.

• Information