Producers who use Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

22 Jun 2015

This could be an official thread on the subject of Pros who use Reason, although it doesn't have to be.

I tried to find the interview where Jake talks about having used Reason in the past in the hopes of providing his perspective on why he doesn't use it as much anymore, but I failed to find it.

Instead, here is an artist spotlight segment that Propellerhead did about him in 2010:

I wanted to post this as soon as I found it because this guy has been a personal hero since I discovered him on Dieselboy's releases back when he went by the name of Ewun. I had always assumed that he must be using some intense and expensive stuff, but no. He had exactly what I did. He may have had access to studio gear, but his sounds were made right here in Reason.

He shows the song file of one of his releases. I think he made it in version 3.
What you'll notice is a ton of automation clips and devices in his project. The point I want to draw attention to by mentioning this is that those are the very things that a lot of people say "I shouldn't have to do that to get a good sound out of Reason". I myself have been guilty of this when I have been frustrated after hours of work, only to have an unsatisfying result.

Listen more. Your ears are the best tool in your entire kit.
Whether you like KTN's style or not, he hasn't been complaining about Reason's sound. He does mention that things in Reason "sound like Reason" or have the "Reason sound", but instead of seeing that as a barrier, he's been using it to release tracks and top charts.

Even he has switched to other DAWs, however, he said that he felt it was time to branch out and learn more of what was going on in the industry. It's always good to keep learning new things and working in ways you aren't comfortable with to better define your production style, as he put it.

Just some inspiration for anyone struggling out there. I know this made me smile.
Here's a follow up of KTN and Madsonic working on Shell Shocked for the TMNT reboot soundtrack. (I would love to collaborate like this instead of anything like Discover)

:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

pjeudy

22 Jun 2015

QwaizanG wrote: I tried to find the interview where Jake talks about having used Reason in the past in the hopes of providing his perspective on why he doesn't use it as much anymore, but I failed to find it.
One word MASSIVE 

Propellerhead REASON took too long to grow up into a DAW and even longer providing a variety of plugin software that where advancing in his field of music...
he went with Vst, But I do remember him saying that he opened REASON first time in a while this year or last year...MattiasHG asked him if he wanted a free copy of REASON 8 I believe :-)
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ebop

23 Jun 2015

Raveshaper

23 Jun 2015

Yes, I have Komplete 9 and those plugs are very nice.
My point was that he was able to hit the charts using Reason whereas many complain they can't compete with other peoples' sound. He did, back before Reason was as powerful as it is today. But...he did switch.
pjeudy wrote:I do remember him saying that he opened REASON first time in a while this year or last year...MattiasHG asked him if he wanted a free copy of REASON 8 I believe :-)
Did he say no?

pjeudy

23 Jun 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Yes, I have Komplete 9 and those plugs are very nice.
My point was that he was able to hit the charts using Reason whereas many complain they can't compete with other peoples' sound. He did, back before Reason was as powerful as it is today. But...he did switch.
pjeudy wrote:I do remember him saying that he opened REASON first time in a while this year or last year...MattiasHG asked him if he wanted a free copy of REASON 8 I believe :-)
QwaizanG wrote:
Did he say no?
There was no other public feedback from him..maybe they took it in private ! 
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Yes, I have Komplete 9 and those plugs are very nice.
QwaizanG wrote:
Did he say no?
Printz Board (Black Eyed Peas), using FSB sound for lead synth in "Where Is The Love?"
World Changer (Nicky Minaj's Anaconda)
DJ Khalil (on Eminem's Recovery and various Aftermath tracks)
Freemasons

Gaja

23 Jun 2015

Todd Rundgren
Ad Rock
Cheers!
Fredhoven

decibel

23 Jun 2015

i suspect there are still a lot of guys especially in certain types of more underground dance music still using reason (a lot of my favourite people built their careers on it) or at least using it to lay down ideas quickly and then rewiring into logic,etc,.
i just dont think they feel its that important to discuss it publicly (unless they are being interviewed specifically about their production methods), especially when the software companys arent paying them for their endorsements lol.

SoulState

23 Jun 2015

This guy gets some cool pop sounds out of reason.

[Warning: Budweiser product placement all-over-the-shop] :frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAlMU132OEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7fTlu58tJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZIQsJ9EXM
:reason:

plaamook

24 Jun 2015

pjeudy wrote: ...MattiasHG asked him if he wanted a free copy of REASON 8 I believe :-)
Yeah, that happened to a friend of mine who's doing quite well. R6. He asked me if i wanted it since I use Reason.
I know there are reasons why companies do this sort of thing but I was still irritated by it. My friend...totally not interested and has even (jokingly) taken shots at me for using software that's seen as a toy by pretty much every one I know, or at least an underdeveloped turtle in the DAW race, gets a free copy to sneer at... Kind of insulting on so many levels.
Whatever. I made something like a hit record in Reason. People seem to like it anyway.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

cosmicprank

24 Jun 2015

My question is then; what are the main DAWs hip-hop artists use if not reason? I know DJ Mustard uses Reason anyway.

ebop

24 Jun 2015

A Guy Called Gerald and DJ Pierre use Reason. Legends.

Viscor

24 Jun 2015

My two favourite reasoners.

Protostar:

The Plesk:

https://soundcloud.com/theplesk/forthco ... es-preview

KEVMOVE02

26 Jun 2015

I can't imagine that anyone uses a single development platform exclusively for their entire lifetime. Platforms age. Developers go out of business. New features become available that are not available in your current platform. The list could go on forever. Propellerhead never gave me the impression that it was looking to be a "single source provider for all things musical" (although one could certainly go that path), but that it wanted to create the shortest path between inspiration and creation. I think they have done a decent job of fulfilling that vision, even at the expense of losing some of the early supporters who feel that Reason has not kept up with the times. 

I'm sure a few celebrity endorsements by music producers would likely create greater brand awareness (and eventually more sales), but would it make Reason a better product? Did DJ Jazzy Jeff's endorsement of Ableton Live prevent them from releasing the disastrous version 8? To each his own opinion.

Raveshaper

26 Jun 2015

Yes. To each their own.

I think it's odd that Jake's endorsement and the others that came out around that time didn't seem to measurably increase Reason's market share. If anyone could rally people, it would be Jake. He's a hell of a sound designer.

Like I said in another thread, it's no longer either Reason or something else for me. It's "what an I going to start using in combination with Reason".

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2015

I can't wait for the day when I become the subject of one of these threads, and people will be like, "no way, he probably just uses it for basic sounds," not realising the power that the modern musician has available to them.

Raveshaper

26 Jun 2015

Turns out that interview with Jake about no longer using Reason wasn't in video form.

Here's the article. Dude has a very level head about things, I feel.

EnochLight

27 Jun 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Yes. To each their own. I think it's odd that Jake's endorsement and the others that came out around that time didn't seem to measurably increase Reason's market share...
I'm interested to know how you would know what Reason's market share is?  I've been using it for 15 years and still have no clue.  Propellerhead are a privately owned company that never divulges such things, so it's always interesting to read where people find out stuff like this.

Please share!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Raveshaper

27 Jun 2015

True, Enoch. I don't know that.

I can't cite an article or report and say "here's the proof".
I suppose what I meant to say and should have said instead of making reference to market share is that those endorsements do not appear to have had a catalyzing effect of establishing increased legitimacy within the DAW biosphere.
This is really a discussion that deviates from the focus of this thread, but I will sum up what I meant to say as briefly as possible.

The endorsements of Reason did not seem to have a measurable result of increasing the user base of Reason, the discussion of Reason, or the perception that Reason is a "legitimate" platform when measured against other DAWs.
Based on observable data in the public sphere that I have personally encountered, I feel I am correct in stating that as my opinion.

plaamook

27 Jun 2015

Well, I make music for money, so there's me!
More or less Reason only.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

raymondh

27 Jun 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Turns out that interview with Jake about no longer using Reason wasn't in video form.

Here's the article. Dude has a very level head about things, I feel.
That's an excellent article, and I completely agree with the point.

At the end of the day none of us are Propellerhead employees that must use the tool, and by trying out other DAWs you can learn stuff you wouldn't have learned in the Reason environment. Doing so, you might find you prefer another DAW, or you may find that all the little niggles about Reason that annoyed you no longer are so important. 

Change for the sake of change is a healthy thing.

• Information