My graphics/performance journey

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ScuzzyEye

25 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Here's the thing, and I can only go by what I did. I took the VGA card out and and tried the built in. I got worse performance.
If that's what you're seeing I'm not doubting you, then.

I have two machines here, both with i7-4790K CPUs. One with 32 GB of RAM, and an Nvidia card, and the other with 16 GB of RAM, and no add-on video. Both also with striped SSDs. Performance with Reason is virtually identical. I'm actually using the stock cooler on both, but with a lot of case fans getting air out of the case.

EnochLight

25 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Not surprisingly, (and mentioned) I got worse performance with mine. If you use the built in processor for graphics it puts load on the CPU.
ScuzzyEye wrote: I've not seen that. The integrated graphics are a separate part of the die that doesn't have anything to do with the CPU. Maybe during intense GPU work, the thermal/power envelope of the chip might start to be exceeded, and cause the CPU to be throttled, but that shouldn't happen with simply decoding video. What cooling are you using on the CPU?
True to a point, however; using the integrated video on your CPU will cause you to consume a bit more RAM, if I'm not mistaken.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ScuzzyEye

25 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:True to a point, however; using the integrated video on your CPU will cause you to consume a bit more RAM, if I'm not mistaken.  
Yes, some amount of system RAM needs to be reserved to hold the frame buffer, and textures. 512 MB, or even 256 MB, is more than enough for a non-gaming system. This value is set in the BIOS (UEFI).

EnochLight

25 Jun 2015

I'm currently running my sytem's i7 3770k using the built-in Intel HD 4000 graphics on the die, but I have 16 GB of RAM and push two 26" monitors (one through HDMI; one through a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter).  I just dug out an old Geforce 8800 GTS card that I plan to try in its place and do some before/after benchmarking using a popular Reason benchmark track.  I'll post my results.

According to the Passmark scores, the old 8800 GTS still scores faster than the HD 4000 on my CPU die:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2&cmp[]=101

In G3D Mark, the HD 4000 scores 454; the 8800 GTS scores 614.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ScuzzyEye

25 Jun 2015

I didn't say what Nvidia card I have in my machine. It's an old GTX 560 Ti. It too pretty much destroys the Intel 4600, but as I said, I don't notice any difference in running Reason, even with all the Windows eye candy turned on or even screen capping Reason. Actually using Intel's Quick Sync encoding frees up more CPU than using x264 (since my Nvidia is so old it doesn't support NVENC).

EnochLight

25 Jun 2015

That's a great point.  I don't think my 8800 GTS supports NVENC either.  My screen capping might be a problem, and I need to do that.  Hmmm....

Ostermilk

26 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Here's the thing, and I can only go by what I did. I took the VGA card out and and tried the built in. I got worse performance.

I dunno, I thought not too long ago I kept hearing people complaining about intel graphics. Coupled with my experience that's all I can go on.

@Fan: A nice one :) It's a Phanteks. The instructions were awful. But I figured it out and long story short, my CPU is really cool. The case fans are standard Corsair (forgot what model) 
The only thing I can think of that causing insufficient 2D performance to run Reason with the iGPU is how you've got the iGPU frequency setup in your BIOS.  Like I said on my 2nd Generation i7 2600k which has the Intel 3000 on die GPU my Windows Experience Index figure on Win 7 is 6.5 which is significantly better than your nVidia currently and has been perfectly adequate for any audio application I've been running during the last 4 years up to and including the Reason 8.3 beta.

You should have some kind of utility that came with the motherboard (depending on the MB make) to set the optimum frequency for your iGPU on your system.  Mine's set at 1650 which is what the ASUS setup tool decided was the right figure on my MB for the veritable old 2600k, although I do believe on Ivy Bridge and later the iGPU clock is dynamic.

Also check your power saving modes for the iGPU basically you want everything set for perfomance rather than power saving.

Good luck in your quest though as I know these kind of system specific issues can become completely annoying and difficult to solve.

gak

26 Jun 2015

Just popping in to say thanks again. Things seem to be back to normal like they were a few weeks ago when I wasn't having issues. Now that I said that I'm sure something else will bork :rofl:  

Ostermilk

26 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Just popping in to say thanks again. Things seem to be back to normal like they were a few weeks ago when I wasn't having issues. Now that I said that I'm sure something else will bork :rofl:  
Guaranteed... ;)

EnochLight

27 Jun 2015

gak wrote:Just popping in to say thanks again. Things seem to be back to normal like they were a few weeks ago when I wasn't having issues. Now that I said that I'm sure something else will bork :rofl:  
Congrats!  So... for others out there who may be experiencing similar issues, what exactly did you do to fix your issue..?   ;)

gak

27 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Congrats!  So... for others out there who may be experiencing similar issues,
EnochLight wrote: what exactly did you do to fix your issue..?   ;)

I was hoping you could tell me :rofl: The only thing I did yesterday was RESET the "power settings" for "performance" EDIT, what I mean is I reset the performance "power" settings to default. That's different than just setting to performance.

(shrug)

I can promise you that I tried that before. I think I have gnomes in my machine (it happens) and I also think that a viddy card upgrade would help. And I think after 8.3 is released and I've checked it out......it's about time for a clean install of everything  :crazy:

gak

24 Aug 2015

Bump.

Even after a clean install with win 10 and a graphics change it's the same ol' :lol:

I'm back to being obsessed. Will reread and look into some things. Someone mentioned that this is a reason thing. The only problem is it runs better on my older i7 than this one in some ways.

So, back to square one. I hate to try another mobo and then just have the same problem.

gak

25 Aug 2015

This is just weird. Keep in mind I'm certain I've done all this.

So, ditching turbo and hyperthreading seemed to help significantly. :?

Speed step disabling made things worse :lol:

Overclocking is a bad idea :x

Like I said, I don't get it. In some ways my older computer out performs this. As I've said before, I live in the twilight zone.

• Information