Why is Discover so inherently unsocial?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
normen

13 Jun 2015

selig wrote:What was the actual "argument" against the TOS? Anyone?
:)
The usual "OMGWTFBBQ people can make money off stuff I made!"

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

jfrichards wrote:Sure would be good if Discover had a positive disclaimer like, "Discover is not for professional musicians, it's a super-highway for the rest of us to compose, collaborate, and have fun."
Haha, good one.

Would be problematic though with the marketing department - I think the problem they're continually facing is marketing to both the "pro's" and the "amateurs" and the whole world in between. Not an easy challenge! So far, Discover seems mostly aimed at and useful for the iPhone Joe's, in that context it's probably already sort of successful. And, as you said, easily sharing stuff on forums, show-and-tell etc.

charnode

13 Jun 2015

Emerton wrote: Did you listen to the rant?
Yeah and it enforces the point I was trying to make. Obviously, the rant is based on a beat that was previously published (even by the same person). However there is no indication whatsoever that this was used as a basis for the rant. Now imagine, not one, but maybe 10, 20 or a hundred people have something to say. Then you start to feel the chaos you would embark on trying to keep all that feedback together. That is, why such an idea is ridiculous.

Additionally, it has been done before. And it has been done well before. One can think of soundcloud whatever he/she wants, but the social interaction beats Discover hands down anytime. Not only can you easily comment on a piece from somebody else, you can even place the comment on the exact point in time that you're referring to. That is effective, easy to use and to the point. Abusing the upload function to comment is really not.

So, as far as I can see, the USP of Discover is that you can upload (and give away free licenses to basically everyone out there) directly from within Reason. Bravo! Bravo!
Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
Japanese Proverb

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

charnode wrote:
So, as far as I can see, the USP of Discover is that you can upload (and give away free licenses to basically everyone out there) directly from within Reason. Bravo! Bravo!
But that might be the point and purpose of the whole thing. Maybe Propellerheads don't see that as a valid criticism, in the same way a swimming pool operator wouldn't view "I got wet!" as a valid complaint from a customer.

charnode

13 Jun 2015

charnode wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
But that might be the 
Exowildebeest wrote:point and purpose
Exowildebeest wrote: of the whole thing. Maybe Propellerheads don't see that as a valid criticism, in the same way a swimming pool operator wouldn't view "I got wet!" as a valid complaint from a customer.
Well if that is the case, not trying to be rude or anything, but then Discover has no practical value whatsoever and any given minute invested by the props in it is wasted. Again, my views and perception.
Japanese Proverb

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

charnode wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
But that might be the 
Exowildebeest wrote:point and purpose
Exowildebeest wrote: of the whole thing. Maybe Propellerheads don't see that as a valid criticism, in the same way a swimming pool operator wouldn't view "I got wet!" as a valid complaint from a customer.
charnode wrote:
Well if that is the case, not trying to be rude or anything, but then Discover has no practical value whatsoever and any given minute invested by the props in it is wasted. Again, my views and perception.
To you it might not have value, but I'm not sure if that extends to the generalization that the millions of iPhone Joe's with Take and Figure won't value it.

I think part of the resistance against Discover stems from - and I'm as guilty of that as the next person - a certain dislike among artists for things that are perceived as "mainstream" and "populist". Again, tough crowd for Propellerheads in both development and marketing.

zeebot

13 Jun 2015

Generic figure loops and badly recorded acoustic guitars and vocals seems to pretty much sum up discover for me. Just had a fresh listen to what is on offer and nothing much has changed from about 3 weeks ago and the last time I checked.
Did someone mention its still in Beta? I'm pretty sure it came out of that a few weeks back.
Also the TOS rant brings up that whole can of worms which reminded me about another reason I will probably never ever use the service.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

zeebot wrote:Generic figure loops and badly recorded acoustic guitars and vocals seems to pretty much sum up discover for me.
You are confused.

That's just music nowadays :P

(and this is the kind of artistic elitism I previously mentioned - an elitism I subscribe to just as much, for I agree with Zeebot.)

charnode

13 Jun 2015

zeebot wrote:Generic figure loops and badly recorded acoustic guitars and vocals seems to pretty much sum up discover for me.
Exowildebeest wrote:
You are confused.

(and this is the kind of artistic elitism I previously mentioned - an elitism I subscribe to just as much, for I agree with Zeebot.)
So preferring separate tracks rather than a stinking single wavefile for everything is elitism now? Mind blown.
Japanese Proverb

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
You are confused.

charnode wrote:
So preferring separate tracks rather than a stinking single wavefile for everything is elitism now? Mind blown.
Yes, my usage of the word "elitism" was obviously meant deeply philosophically as a characterization of the state of mind and attitude among artists.

Simply put, artists want to be unique, to be unique is almost inherent in the concept of artistry, hence a resistance against things that are perceived as not unique, mainstream, simplistic, de-valued, etc. That's a sort of elitism.

In that sense, yes, wanting high quality audio stems instead of a shitty lossy compressed file (because it's even worse, if I'm correct Discover still uses lossy compression?) is a sort of elitism. Call it "the "professionals" trying to protect their craft".

Emerton

13 Jun 2015

Emerton wrote:I mean this guy put an argument against the discover TOS on discover: [url=http:// https//www.propellerheads.se/s/vdYqUzMM]https://www.propellerheads.se/s/vdYqUzMM[/url]
normen wrote:
Funny thing is that yorick is definitely in some kind of Performance Rights Organization - he'd get royalties for anyone playing music with his stuff anyway - just no upfront payment. ;) (See our other discussion).
selig wrote:
Wow, that was so annoying I couldn't make it past the first 15 seconds. Not sure what the point is or where it went from there, but it wasn't something I'd consider informative or helpful in any way (which was likely it's intent). 

What was the actual "argument" against the TOS? Anyone?
- People aren't reading the ToS because they're uploading covers. 
- People don't in any meaningful way own their songs once they upload them, given how ownership works in practice.
- People should read the ToS
- Propellerhead should amend the ToS and allow variable assignment of rights as per Creative Commons etc.

Emerton

13 Jun 2015

charnode wrote:  One can think of soundcloud whatever he/she wants, but the social interaction beats Discover hands down anytime. Not only can you easily comment on a piece from somebody else, you can even place the comment on the exact point in time that you're referring to. That is effective, easy to use and to the point. Abusing the upload function to comment is really not.
No argument there. I like soundcloud, and the features you mentioned are great. 
Just pointing out that without any other way to communicate, you could make a recording to say what you want to say, obviously in a more concise way than the rant does. 
You could make a recording saying "contact me at myname@gmail.com about collaborating" for example.

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2015

Emerton wrote:I mean this guy put an argument against the discover TOS on discover: [url=http:// https//www.propellerheads.se/s/vdYqUzMM]https://www.propellerheads.se/s/vdYqUzMM[/url]
normen wrote:
Funny thing is that yorick is definitely in some kind of Performance Rights Organization - he'd get royalties for anyone playing music with his stuff anyway - just no upfront payment. ;) (See our other discussion).
selig wrote:
Wow, that was so annoying I couldn't make it past the first 15 seconds. Not sure what the point is or where it went from there, but it wasn't something I'd consider informative or helpful in any way (which was likely it's intent). 

I done fixded it for y'all

And the DeEsser worked a treat on my vocal at the end.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Emerton

13 Jun 2015

normen wrote:
selig wrote:

Benedict wrote:
I done fixded it for y'all
Benedict wrote:

So much win. 

charnode

14 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote: I done fixded it for y'all

Now I think I get it. Discover is the less convenient audio equivalent of a reddit PhotoShopBattle from Propellerhead.
Japanese Proverb

• Information