Am I missing something obvious..?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

11 Jun 2015

Hi all

Just been building a basic dance track on reason 8.2. I have Kong routed to 16 separate channels. I have kick, snare, hat and perc elements all building up over 16 bars. What I wanted to do was automate a high pass filter and lower the frequency over the duration. Easy I though just go to master channel and automate the HPF, but there is no channel strip for the master channel. How would I do this?

Surely I don't have to go to each drum element over the 16 bars and automate the HPF of each one?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers
Graeme

JNeffLind

11 Jun 2015

graeme75 wrote:Hi all Just been building a basic dance track on reason 8.2. I have Kong routed to 16 separate channels. I have kick, snare, hat and perc elements all building up over 16 bars. What I wanted to do was automate a high pass filter and lower the frequency over the duration. Easy I though just go to master channel and automate the HPF, but there is no channel strip for the master channel. How would I do this? Surely I don't have to go to each drum element over the 16 bars and automate the HPF of each one? Or am I missing something obvious? Cheers Graeme
I'd say route them all to a single bus and in the mixer and then work on that bus with your filter. Would that solve your problem? Just right click the channels and choose to "Route to > new output bus"  instead of to master for the first one. Then name the bus and it should appear as an option to "route to" for all the other drums.

ScuzzyEye

11 Jun 2015

Make a "drum bus", that all 16 drum mixer channels are routed to, and make your adjustments there. That's a pretty standard setup. It will also give you a single place to adjust the over-all drum track level, without having to go to all 16 tracks.

The Intrancer

11 Jun 2015

Rightclick, and select Edit Automation on SSL channel strip, and then copy and past the automation.
AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

graeme75

12 Jun 2015

Thanks for the replies I'll route them to drum bus. Is there no filter that you can use as an insert fx within the master section?

zakalwe

12 Jun 2015

there's the old envelope controlled filter or you can use pulveriser.  also, the synths with audio inoput like thor or malstrom.  probably best to use a device intended for dynamic use.

Raveshaper

13 Jun 2015

It is a lot more work to automate several filters, but if you're willing to do that you can create greater dynamic range during the filter sweep by having some channels lower slightly faster or by different amounts over time. Maybe they're all the same value of high pass to start, but have different curves as they sweep. The more work is sometimes the better work. Knowing when and where comes with experience.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Jun 2015

Mr 75 you could of course use any device in the Master Insert section but if you did use something dramatic like a Resonant Low Pass sweep it will be there for every sound in the mix. Fine of you only have your drum section but if you add a singer then low passing filtering her may not make her happy.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information