Making your own impulse responses

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Tincture

12 Jun 2015

Hi ... I think you understand me more than most oster. I don't mind being ignored when I'm full of it... But I really was curious whether this sort of thing can emulate/filter the human voice in sympathy with a synth/robot voice.

Ostermilk

13 Jun 2015

Tincture wrote:Hi ... I think you understand me more than most oster. I don't mind being ignored when I'm full of it... But I really was curious whether this sort of thing can emulate/filter the human voice in sympathy with a synth/robot voice.
Well, I'd say yes and no.  Remember that IR's are static by their very nature and vocal sounds will vary over time as you express different phonetics, words and phrases.

So while you could indeed make filters of specific voice elements (see NS Tone Mutations - Vocals) each filter will give a constant colouration unlike say a formant filter or a 'talkbox' which will react dynamically in time according to the signal passing through it.  See the first  SOS article I linked too for a more in depth discussion on the difference between reverberation and filtering in this context.

As with everything convolution though always expect some nice (and nasty) surprises through experimentation.

• Information