8GB RAM OR 16GB RAM????

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NMRosta

09 Jun 2015

Hello!

Im usin Rsn8 and i love to work with many layers of fx/instruments etc. But i have to do bounce my stuff pretty offen because it is just getting to heavy for my comphuter to handle it all at the same time.

Im thinking of buy those:

https://www.komplett.se/hyperx-fury-ddr ... ack/812885

This is what my computer look like at the moment:

Crosshair-v-formula
https://www.komplett.se/asus-crosshair- ... am3/638069

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 six-core Processor
https://www.komplett.se/amd-fx-6100-6-c ... sor/650175

Ram 8GB 
https://www.komplett.se/kingston-ddr3-h ... 4gb/622379

win 7  (64x)

Also using a Intel SSD hardrive.

Im using Audiobox USB (Presonus) so that i can use microphone and midi from my Quadra Alessis

what do you boys and girls think? How mutch Ram do you use? Is this a good idéa or just waste of cash? * i also do a loot of video editing and painting but i dont play any video games...

ScuzzyEye

09 Jun 2015

When your song has trouble playing in real time, it's almost always the CPU that's not keeping up. The sign that you need more RAM, is the hard disk light on constantly. That is usually only provoked by loading ReFills with a big number of large samples. If you're mostly using synths, and effects, then it is definitely CPU.

I have 32 GB of RAM, but also an Intel CPU. I used AMDs for decades, but Intel completely beats them now. The difference between 12 cores (dual Sixes) of Opteron, vs. a Quad Core i7 was night and day. I can load up my rack much more than I ever could before.

NMRosta

09 Jun 2015

Yes, i will go with Intel next time i build a computer. Because i love my SSD hardrive (from Intel)

Im not doing Refill that mutch any longer (because the REInstruments are sooo good) so everything else that is "recorded just feel unecessary" Well maybe not the drums/drex/ but you get the point. I also love to work with recorded stuff in pretty hig definition.

But i think it will be better off with 16 gb than 8.

Thanks for a good answer. :)

joeyluck

09 Jun 2015

Always get as much as you can for a reasonable price. With the new Macs, it's more important to decide that in the beginning (as it can't be changed supposedly), but if you are getting a PC, it doesn't hurt to try less RAM (as you can upgrade later)

That said, I've been rocking only 4GB of RAM since 2008 (that's the most I could upgrade my Macbook Pro) :)

8GB would be a major upgrade for me lol.

ScuzzyEye

09 Jun 2015

NMRosta wrote:I also love to work with recorded stuff in pretty hig definition.
Don't bother with recording at anything more than 44.1/48 kHz. All the higher sampling rates do is waste CPU.*

*It might be useful to bounce synth tracks to disk at higher rates, and then import them back into a 44.1 project. This can remove aliasing artifacts. But working at higher rates is unneeded.

NMRosta

09 Jun 2015

Aha, thanks for the advice :)

Sinistereo

09 Jun 2015

My system has 16GB because I need it for another program that I use regularly. I've never noticed Reason using more than 8GB, and my 4GB notebook never has problems working with files with lots of samples and audio tracks. (High DSP rack extensions are another matter!)

I don't think Reason is very memory hungry. If you already have an SSD (and are using it as the scratch disk), you're probably better off saving that money for your next major upgrade. :)

Miles Static

09 Jun 2015

Reason is mad efficient when it comes to RAM (at least that has been my experience on OS X). I would say your problem isn't RAM but CPU. When it comes to audio production, a faster CPU almost always beats out more RAM. In your case I wouldn't doubt that upgrading to an Intel Quad-core i7 will definitely do the trick.

I definitely agree with some of the sentiments shared on this thread. Stick with Intel! :)

vectro

10 Jun 2015

NMRosta wrote:How mutch Ram do you use? Is this a good idéa or just waste of cash?
I have 16 GB in my computer, but I use large sample libraries. If you are layering synths and effects then I think you are wasting money.

Save your cash until you can get a new (Intel based) computer. When the day comes your new HyperX RAM might be too slow anyway.

EnochLight

10 Jun 2015

NMRosta wrote:Hello!

Im usin Rsn8 and i love to work with many layers of fx/instruments etc. But i have to do bounce my stuff pretty offen because it is just getting to heavy for my comphuter to handle it all at the same time.

Im thinking of buy those:

https://www.komplett.se/hyperx-fury-ddr ... ack/812885

This is what my computer look like at the moment:

Crosshair-v-formula
https://www.komplett.se/asus-crosshair- ... am3/638069

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 six-core Processor
https://www.komplett.se/amd-fx-6100-6-c ... sor/650175

Ram 8GB 
https://www.komplett.se/kingston-ddr3-h ... 4gb/622379

win 7  (64x)

Also using a Intel SSD hardrive.

Im using Audiobox USB (Presonus) so that i can use microphone and midi from my Quadra Alessis

what do you boys and girls think? How mutch Ram do you use? Is this a good idéa or just waste of cash? * i also do a loot of video editing and painting but i dont play any video games...
Personally, I wouldn't want a production machine with anything less than 16GB of RAM, but that won't fix your problem.  Your issue is related to CPU speed, not RAM.

If you were trying to load a bunch of samples into NNXT, Kong, NN19, Dr. Octo - etc, using large amounts of 24-bit samples, etc - that would fill up your RAM and adding more would allow you to load more, but your issue is undoubtedly related to CPU speed.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

10 Jun 2015

I get by just fine on 8gb for most jobs but on the other hand when it comes to RAM more is always better.
And yeah, Intel CPU all the way.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Exowildebeest

10 Jun 2015

When I bought a new pc two years ago, I opted for 32gb because RAM was/is cheap and I wanted to get that real master race feeling, coming from 4gb.

It's overkill though, nothing I do requires that much RAM.

Jmax

12 Jun 2015

Make sure your PC Power option is set to High Performance..

PC's are normally set on Balanced and this is NOT what you want.

Control Panel, Power options.. show additional plans...

I'm running a slower processor then you but with 16gig ram and no problems whatsoever.  Even running huge Combinators like Kenetic Energy.

Also, download CC cleaner and kill any unnecessary programs from loading at startup, there are usually a few.  I also run on a flash drive but save everything to another disc.  Much faster.

• Information