Reason 8.3: RV7000 gets convolution :-)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2015

Djstarski wrote:great news , i`m looking for a NS10 impulse response . has anyone got one laying around somewhere or any console IR`s ?
selig wrote:
For any non-linear process, such as saturation, distortion, etc., convolution is not an ideal solution. Unless you take MANY 'samples' at many different levels and have a device that can interpret those, like you do when you sample many different velocity levels of a dynamic instrument like a piano, guitar, or drums.

The NS-10 IR (if it exists and was recorded in an anechoic chamber or similar and each channel recorded separately) might sound interesting, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to make your monitors sound like NS-10s if that's what you're after…any more than a vocoder makes a synth sound like its "talking". IMO, of course…
:)
miscend wrote:
Have you heard of Nebula VST? They use some sort of convolution to model analogue eq and compressors.
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=306
Yes, the concept is the same as with sampling; if you don't sample multiple velocities you can't represent the dynamics accurately. And if the playback device doesn't support multiple velocities (like the RV7000) then you can't take advantage of multiple velocities/levels in IRs.
Selig Audio, LLC

miscend

13 Jun 2015

Has the room reverb algorithm been updated? It mixes a lot better now than it used to. I hope I'm not hearing things.

Olivier

13 Jun 2015

miscend wrote:Has the room reverb algorithm been updated? It mixes a lot better now than it used to. I hope I'm not hearing things.
If it has, then its a change in policy. As far as i know they want perfect backward compatibility. Patches should sound the same now as they did years ago.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Exowildebeest

13 Jun 2015

miscend wrote:Has the room reverb algorithm been updated? It mixes a lot better now than it used to. I hope I'm not hearing things.
eauhm wrote:
If it has, then its a change in policy.
More likely - if it has, then it's a bug.

tiker01

13 Jun 2015

selig wrote:I swear there was an earlier version where you could edit them because I reversed the first preset IIRC…
EnochLight wrote:
Is it possible that a reverse function was replaced and another feature gained?   ;)
selig wrote: Anything is possible - but I'm talking about editing the preset as a way to get around a current lack of a reverse function. :)
EnochLight wrote:
Oh you don't have to convince me - I'm on board that boat already!   ;)
selig wrote:
And IIRC you could choose "edit" from the RV7000 in previous versions (for your own samples), and now you have to go to the browser and click on the correct sample and choose edit. Sorry to see that functionality become more, what's the word I'm looking for, oh yea: "convoluted". ;(
Exowildebeest wrote:
That's exactly what I mentioned that somewhere earlier - and it's not congruent with the functionality of the other sample loading devices in the rack!

But it's somewhat comforting to hear that this functionality was there earlier, that suggests a chance it might be added again.

("somewhat", "suggests", "chance", "might" - I might have confidence issues :frown: :D )
One can definitely edit user loaded IR files either by right click Edit sample or Alt+click the sampling icon while RV7k is in convolution mode. For factry IR-s it is not possible.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Olivier

13 Jun 2015

eauhm wrote:
If it has, then its a change in policy.
Exowildebeest wrote:
More likely - if it has, then it's a bug.
Good one, didn't think of that.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Eagleizer

15 Jun 2015

selig wrote:I swear there was an earlier version where you could edit them because I reversed the first preset IIRC…
EnochLight wrote:
Is it possible that a reverse function was replaced and another feature gained?   ;)
selig wrote: Anything is possible - but I'm talking about editing the preset as a way to get around a current lack of a reverse function. :)
EnochLight wrote:
Oh you don't have to convince me - I'm on board that boat already!   ;)
selig wrote:
And IIRC you could choose "edit" from the RV7000 in previous versions (for your own samples), and now you have to go to the browser and click on the correct sample and choose edit. Sorry to see that functionality become more, what's the word I'm looking for, oh yea: "convoluted". ;(
For "User samples", I can hold Alt and click "Start Sampling" on MKII (Win7).
I can also right-click on the device and choose "Edit Sample". Or do you mean
something else? 

Cheers :)

EnochLight

15 Jun 2015

Eagleizer wrote: For "User samples", I can hold Alt and click "Start Sampling" on MKII (Win7).
something else? 

Yes, we mean something else.  Sampling and editing user samples works as expected just like all of the other samplers.  It's the built-in impulse samples that cannot be edited in the sample editor that we're talking about.   :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Eagleizer

16 Jun 2015

Eagleizer wrote: For "User samples", I can hold Alt and click "Start Sampling" on MKII (Win7).
something else? 

EnochLight wrote:
Yes, we mean something else.  Sampling and editing
EnochLight wrote:user samples
EnochLight wrote: works as expected just like all of the other samplers.  It's the
EnochLight wrote:built-in impulse samples
EnochLight wrote: that cannot be edited in the sample editor that we're talking about.   :)
Sorry, but Selig wrote:

"And IIRC you could choose "edit" from the RV7000 in previous versions (for your own samples), and now you have to go to the browser and click on the correct sample and choose edit. "

And about this: 
"and now you have to go to the browser and click on the correct sample and choose edit." 

If that is for the built in Samples, how exactly do you do that? I cannot
find the Preset samples anywhere in the browser.  :crazy:

JoshuaPhilgarlic

16 Jun 2015

Eagleizer wrote:If that is for the built in Samples, how exactly do you do that? I cannot
find the Preset samples anywhere in the browser.  :crazy:
The built in samples are hidden in RV7000. You can select them with the Sample-knob, but you can't edit them or access them in the browser.

gullum

16 Jun 2015

I am totally loving this IR loading, been downloading sh*t lots of guitar and bass amp IR's and together with the RE amps I can now fairly easy get amazing guitar and bass sound. This Reason 8.3 couldn't have come at a more perfect time I just got a new guitar and a bass and one more guitar on the way. Guess I'll be putting my EDM production on hold for some time now lets Rock N Roll

Gaja

16 Jun 2015

@Eagleizer
It says in the manual (page 895)
Propellerhead have gathered a large number of impulse responses and collected them in a free ReFill, along with lots of patches for the RV7000 Mk II and the Combinator. The ReFill is called "RV7000 mkII patches" - download it for free from shop.propellerheads.se!
So even though you can't edit the built in responses, props themselves will provide a "large number" (whatever that is) of samples to play with and tweak. So you won't have to look far for tweakable convolution content.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information