Reason 8.3: RV7000 gets convolution :-)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The Intrancer

09 Jun 2015

There is definitely something in the wind, there never has been an .3 of any version of Reason... a 3.03 yes...but that's about it if my memory serves me right. 

It does concern me somewhat, if this sets a precedent in a continual trickle feed of updates every couple of months, I say this as it hints at a possible movement to subscription model somewhere down the line...

For me, a trickle feed of updates even if they are free isn't something that appeals to me, I'd feel that I was using a continual beta and incomplete version program, and the company deliberately holding stuff back just to promote a new point version and lack lustra major point zero release. 

As it is though, it's not enough to steer me from SO3, I think most people know what I want from Reason as a program so won't go into it here.
AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

alex

09 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:
That said, there's no way to call up the sample editor directly from within RV7000.  Also, you can't edit the 3 included impulses in the editor.   :frown:
Wait! That is not what I see! I CAN totally call up the sample editor by right clicking almost anywere on the RV7000mkII, just make sure the "Convolution" algorithm is selected inside Remote Programmer and at least one sample is loaded ...

The "Edit Sample..." context menu voice appear in the exact same way as it already happens for redrum, nnxt etc...

Reason 8.3d68 (Build 6.163) LOGGING, on Windows 7 SP1 x64.

The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Iapetus 9

09 Jun 2015

Such good news. This finally makes the jump to 8 worthwhile for me. Sadly, no news yet on whether sample loading in RE's is possible, but as always in the Reason camp- One small step at a time.
38L > 51D every time.

ReasonUser

09 Jun 2015

The Intrancer wrote:There is definitely something in the wind, there never has been an .3 of any version of Reason... a 3.03 yes...but that's about it if my memory serves me right. 

It does concern me somewhat, if this sets a precedent in a continual trickle feed of updates every couple of months, I say this as it hints at a possible movement to subscription model somewhere down the line...

For me, a trickle feed of updates even if they are free isn't something that appeals to me, I'd feel that I was using a continual beta and incomplete version program, and the company deliberately holding stuff back just to promote a new point version and lack lustra major point zero release. 

As it is though, it's not enough to steer me from SO3, I think most people know what I want from Reason as a program so won't go into it here.
Well, it's either that, or this is the last ditch attempt to get the people who were on the fence to upgrade to version 8. Then when version 9 comes out you'll see "Everyone who purchased AFTER July 1st gets a free upgrade to 9!" Yes it feels kinda slimy, but this is a company that's trying to maximize profit after all.

Ostermilk

09 Jun 2015

The Intrancer wrote:There is definitely something in the wind, there never has been an .3 of any version of Reason... a 3.03 yes...but that's about it if my memory serves me right. 

...oops but inevitibaly you just did.  You are right though your thoughts have got very old.

Scotty, btw you sound very familiar.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

jam-s

09 Jun 2015

Hmm, looks like Reason 8 is slowly approaching a usable state. Now they only have to fix kong, add a block launcher, include block layering and throw in some free REs with the update, then I won't wait for Reason 9 with updating from R7. :P

Faastwalker

09 Jun 2015

The Intrancer wrote:There is definitely something in the wind.
Surely not a ScottyM re-imagining of an ancient curry recipe per chance?! With every ingredients known to Indian cuisine shoe horned into a single culinary violating dish!! :s0717: Seriously though, why are you concerned? I thought you had moved on to pastures greener? Is it not Reaktor & Studio 1 for you all the way now?

Julibee

10 Jun 2015

Yonatan wrote:How do you use Quick Zoom?
Select the clip you want to view more closely and click [z].

Side note, thanks to z, I think this is the fastest I've EVER mixed a Reason song... no fiddly bits!

Z is my new bff.  

I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

jfrichards

10 Jun 2015

Convolution reverb inside Reason turns out to be a big deal.  I have lived without it since 1968 when I got my first guitar amp with spring reverb, but just playing around with it a little and reading up a little has convinced me that this is a wonderful device. Seems it has several great uses.  One is it being a treasure trove of 1000 reverbs, from intimate and delicate to alien sulfur mine caverns.  Two is for experimental spacial ambiance based on your own impulses.  Three is cabinet emulations for guitar and bass.  Four is rhythmic patterns trailing after chords and notes.  Five is harmonic generation, both straight and evolving, especially using CV modulation for damping.  Six is non-rhythmic patterns based on odd waveforms, with or without modulated harmonic generation, creating inspiring or haunting evolutions.  Seven is simple yet powerful tone shaping, like we use EQ and other effects.  Anybody have any others besides these seven?  I'm totally new to this.

To modestly tuck all this into the RV7000 is classic Reason understatement.  I hope everyone comes to enjoy it as much as I am.

Olivier

10 Jun 2015

Yonatan wrote:How do you use Quick Zoom?
Julibee wrote:
Select the clip you want to view more closely and click [z]
Julibee wrote:.

Side note, thanks to z, I think this is the fastest I've EVER mixed a Reason song... no fiddly bits!
Julibee wrote:Z is my new bff.
Julibee wrote:  
[/b]
Julibee wrote:
That caught my attention... Had not tried Z yet but you are right, its amazing. Zooming in to selected clip, and back out towards all clips..
If you have nothing selected it defaults to zooming out to a view all your clips.. Simple but effective.

Z is going to be a very popular friend :P Great for workflow !
I would use CTRL +/- a lot to zoom.. but i doubt i'll use it again.

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Creativemind

10 Jun 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:I like this trend of improving the stock devices. Let's hope for a new Thor filter module in 8.4!
riemac wrote:
A new THOR filter is somthing I also realy would like to have. And a new oscillator, where you can select
the number of unison voices with detune and spread (like Antidote or sylenth1).

That would realy bring THOR on a higher level.
-Rkn- wrote:
:thumbup:

Improving the stock devices is the right way and than i upgrade to R8.
Yeah I never thought about improving Thor in anyway, it seems pretty much a mighty beast anyway, but sounds like a good idea. I would like to see a Malstrom 2 so you can load your own samples into it for further manipulation in Malstrom. I have heard someone say though that Malstrom wasn't made by Propellerhead or something like that so that's unlikely.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

10 Jun 2015

The Intrancer wrote:It does concern me somewhat, if this sets a precedent in a continual trickle feed of updates every couple of months, I say this as it hints at a possible movement to subscription model somewhere down the line...
...And yet PreSonus has trickled Studio One updates out of the door since version 1.0. Are you equally concerned for Studio One?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

10 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:
That said, there's no way to call up the sample editor directly from within RV7000.  Also, you can't edit the 3 included impulses in the editor.   :frown:
alex wrote:
Wait! That is not what I see! I CAN totally call up the sample editor by right clicking almost anywere on the RV7000mkII, just make sure the "Convolution" algorithm is selected inside Remote Programmer and at least one sample is loaded ...

The "Edit Sample..." context menu voice appear in the exact same way as it already happens for redrum, nnxt etc...

Reason 8.3d68 (Build 6.163) LOGGING, on Windows 7 SP1 x64.

Nice!!!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Tincture

10 Jun 2015

Hope I don't interupt the flow too much... have to say I'm very happy with the proposed browser updates etc for 8.3 - looks like it'll be much more to my workflow again (zoom z = genious). Have to say I'm very naive about convolution and what it can do however... I have 3 numerical sound REs but they are all about reverb (or v. small reverb in ReStereo). So ... I use speak n tweak RE quite a bit because I can't sing. I kinda like it's roboticness.... but what would be amazing for me would be to put it through some kind of "filter" that would only allow frequencies that are common for human singing or talking... I.e. could a convolution thingy do this with any success... ?? I'm guessing not. And that it would depend on the phrase / pitch etc... but maybe not?

Ocean of Waves

10 Jun 2015

CHRIST!

Exowildebeest

10 Jun 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:
CHRIST!
Are you trying exorcism on Scotty? :D

If Jesus had known about Scotty's GUI's, he would've reconsidered doing that dying-for-our-sins thing :P

The Intrancer

10 Jun 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:
CHRIST!
I don't think I've had to disprove so
many myths made in one week before on a forum,
but really... I think you might be on to something there..
don't tell anyone else :D

For others though, enjoy your convolutions, I mean your conversations on R8.3 :D

Good to see some zooming functions though, I don't think it's as sophisticated as the solution I've illustrated and documented though, it's a start nethertheless.

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

gak

10 Jun 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:
CHRIST!
Exowildebeest wrote:
Are you trying exorcism on Scotty? :D

If Jesus had known about Scotty's GUI's, he would've reconsidered doing that dying-for-our-sins thing :P

Koshdukai

10 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:
That said, there's no way to call up the sample editor directly from within RV7000.  [...]
alex wrote:  [...] I CAN totally call up the sample editor by right clicking almost anywere on the RV7000mkII [...]
EnochLight wrote: Nice!!!
or ALT+Click on its lil'"Sample" button.
(not sure what the modifier key is on Mac)

pjeudy

10 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:So glad I can post this.  Now that we have a native convolution reverb via RV7000 MkII... check this out!!!  Very glad I don't have to use Studio One for this anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABMBcstWZqU
Oh yea..I forgot you where a major advocate for a convolution device in REASON back in the PUF days ! :s0221:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

challism

10 Jun 2015

I've got a developer account with Props.  In the past, they have always just put a beta link in the products section of my account.  I've never asked to be a beta tester, but have been given beta testing authorization (and can only guess because I have developer status with Props being the reason why).

Anyway... as of today, no beta link in my account.  Not sure if this is real or not, but let's hope it is for real!!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

10 Jun 2015

challism wrote: I've got a developer account with Props.  In the past, they have always just put a beta link in the products section of my account.  I've never asked to be a beta tester, but have been given beta testing authorization (and can only guess because I have developer status with Props being the reason why).

Anyway... as of today, no beta link in my account.  Not sure if this is real or not, but let's hope it is for real!!
Sorry you've been missing out on the party!

It is s PUBLIC beta. 

You can download it here:
https://www.propellerheads.se/testing/Reason830/

dvdrtldg

11 Jun 2015

Do you guys think that a reverb like this could function as a reasonable substitute for Synapse's Fat Space reverb? I've been trialling Fat Space and I really like it, but can't quite get over the price. From what I'm reading, it seems like there's not much you can't do with a good convolution reverb and a good library of IRs.

joeyluck

11 Jun 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:Do you guys think that a reverb like this could function as a reasonable substitute for Synapse's Fat Space reverb? I've been trialling Fat Space and I really like it, but can't quite get over the price. From what I'm reading, it seems like there's not much you can't do with a good convolution reverb and a good library of IRs.
Are you beta testing 8.3 right now?

• Information