Yet more beginner questions..

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

08 Jun 2015

Hi all

As i fall further down the Reason rabbit hole, yet more questions appear..

1) If I have some send fx on my master say delay on 1 and reverb on 2 and I want to hear what a sound will be like with reverb applied.  I hit 2 on that sounds mixer strip which works fine.  However how can I listen to that sound in isolation with the reverb applied?  As soon as i hit solo it kills all send fx.

2) If i have a pad on Kong and want to apply an RPG-8 to just that sound how do I do it.  I routed the sound out to it's own mixer channel,inserted an RPG-8 made a seq track for it, but I wasn't sure what midi note would trigger it

3) How can I default all redrum step sequencer 'normal' value to a velocity of 100 instead of having to do this after I have copied them to the sequencer?

4) Do the pitch values on the NN-Nano (-60 to 60) equate to semitones so +/- 5 octaves?  Also the offset on each Kong Pad are they also measured in semitones?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2015

Hi Mr 75

Have you started to read the Reason Manual yet? I worry you are trying to run before you can walk. Understandable and nice to see the enthusiasm but you will trip and skin your knee far more often this way. If you can get your head around the concept of types of signals and how they travel (route) through a project then it will help tremendously.

1. Solo is designed to let you hear a sound in isolation to fix issues with that sound. If you want to make reverb more part of that sound then use reverb as an Insert, that means that you apply the effect before it hits the desk. Like having a guitar play through an amp and speaker cabinet and mic that. The cabinet sound IS the sound.

2. If you want to control one Pad on Kong via CV then instead of wiring to the main Instrument CV In then wire to the Pad's CV In (Gate only in this case).

3. This is in the manual for sure. Select All Notes and set "=" and value to 100. There is also the F8 tool

4. Nope. Probably only an octave or so. If you need more, then you are doing something mighty odd (but maybe cool) and NN-XT is your friend.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Ronin

08 Jun 2015

Im pretty sure that solo does not remove send effects on the ssl mixer. It would only mute the efx returns if you have them routed into mix channels rather then directly into the returns as normal.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2015

I was thinking that too but didn't have Reason open to check.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Raveshaper

08 Jun 2015

1. Make sure you are connecting your SSL Send FX to the Master Section send/return ports. Soloing will retain effects applied using the send 1 thru 8 buttons on the channel strip. The fastest way to correctly auto-route effects is to select the Master Section in the rack and create an effect device.
  2. Place your Kong in a Combinator and add an RPG-8. In the programmer of the Combinator, select the RPG-8. Adjust the "Key Range Lo" and "Hi" items along the bottom of the display so that they both read either "C 1" or "D#2". Now select the Kong in the programmer. Adjust either the "Key Range Lo" item so it reads "C#1" or adjust the "Hi" item so it reads "D 2". To explain, you are reserving a note that the RPG-8 will respond to and then making sure the Kong does not respond to that note. You must use the notes I'm showing you to isolate the RPG-8 because you can not define multiple keyboard splits in the Combinator. Each keyboard split (defined by "Key Range Lo" and "Hi") are limited to a beginning ("Lo") and an end ("Hi"), not multiple areas of notes with gaps in between. This forces you to use Pad 1 or Pad 16 to get the effect you want. Connect the "Gate CV Out (Velocity)" on the RPG-8 to the "Gate In" on either Pad 1 of Kong or Pad 16 of Kong. It should work as desired.
  3. To get a default value for velocity that is 100, set the "Vel" knob next to the "Level" knob of each drum in the Redrum to a value of 50. When you create clips for the Redrum, the notes that you draw in will all have a velocity of 100. You can not apply a velocity of 100 using "Copy Pattern to Track". You can edit all selected notes to have the same velocity by typing 100 into the text box "Vel" above the clip editing window, then clicking the red "=" button.
  4. If you apply the large Pitch Wheel on Kong, it will pitch up and down +/- 6 semitones. If you apply static pitch changes on the patch editor to the left, it will pitch up and down +/- 12 semitones (1 octave). If you want more than one octave of pitch on a sample, you can click "Show Drum and FX", then turn the Pitch assignment of the Mod Wheel all the way up or down on the NN-Nano itself. This will combine the static pitch you applied in the patch editor with the value of the mod wheel. The mod wheel assignment for pitch on the NN-Nano has a range of 24 semitones (2 octaves). It is possible to pitch a sample 3 octaves if you use this combination of pitch adjustments.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

graeme75

09 Jun 2015

Thanks for all the info

I'm tackling these one at a time...

For the first one everything was connected correctly but still would refuse to work if soloed, I could only hear the original sound.  The reason for this was I had each send fx contained within their own mix channel .  If I have the send Fx just 'loose' then I can hear the sound and the effect.  The only way I have managed to do that with the mix channel method is having to solo the instrument and the mixer channel of the send fx.   Is it a bad idea to have a mix channel for each of the (up to 8) send fx?

Cheers
Graeme

Gaja

09 Jun 2015

graeme75 wrote:Thanks for all the info

I'm tackling these one at a time...

For the first one everything was connected correctly but still would refuse to work if soloed, I could only hear the original sound.  The reason for this was I had each send fx contained within their own mix channel .  If I have the send Fx just 'loose' then I can hear the sound and the effect.  The only way I have managed to do that with the mix channel method is having to solo the instrument and the mixer channel of the send fx.   Is it a bad idea to have a mix channel for each of the (up to 8) send fx?

Cheers
Graeme

Well it is not a bad idea per sé, as sometimes you might want to add some eq or compression (or whatever) to your sends, or create custom feedback loops (for delay fx).
However I would recommend using the custom routing until you find you need to have it plugged into its own mix channel, mainly because of the solo issue you've encountered. As soon as Props add solo safe this issue will be resolved.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ronin

09 Jun 2015

FYI, when you route effects returns into a mix channel, use the "Direct out" output on the mix channel to go into the send returns on the master section of the SSL.
(This won't fix your problem, but it is a better way of setting things up)

graeme75

09 Jun 2015

Hi all

Cheers Gaja for the reply

Moving onto number 2, I can now arpeggiate one pad in kong, woo hoo.  However for the life of me I can't recreate the sound he is making here

https://youtu.be/oky6KT3LkaA  

I can make the sound from 3:50 - 6:50 put its what he does to the arpegiator from 6:50-7:15 that I can't seem to replicate with the RPG-8

Also if you are just noodling on the F4 keys or a midi controller, is there no way to see on the piano roll exactly what keys are being triggered.
I have seen how combinators will show the keys from the MIDI that is there on the sequencer, but though the piano roll may highlight the key you are pressing?
Cheers
Graeme

jam-s

09 Jun 2015

Kong is not the right device for this. Simply load the sample, that you want to pitch into NN19 and connect it to the RPG-8.

graeme75

10 Jun 2015

Hi Jam-s

I have attached nn19 to RPG-8 and can get it to arpeggiate but not exactly as it does in the video.  Does the arpeggiator in the video have more features than the RPG-8?

jam-s

10 Jun 2015

The arp in Live has the "Distance"-Knob directly available. In Reason you might have to trim the note-CV to get the same effect. Or you can simply use a chord with the notes you want, limited to one octave and then set random mode on the RPG-8. Also don't forget to enable the shuffle mode and adjust the global shuffle amount, if you want to reproduce the groove.

graeme75

10 Jun 2015

Thanks for the reply. What does trim the note cv mean? If I was inputting the chord directly into the arp sequencer track say notes D and A would they stretch for the entire bar simultaneously, or would you offset one against the other. I have enabled the shuffle mode and altered the global shuffle but hasn't really been able to get anywhere near that groove :frown: .

jam-s

10 Jun 2015

Have a look at the manual on CV, the RPG-8 and global shuffle. Most things should become clearer this way. Also you could check with the demo version of live which notes and timings are produced by the arp using identical settings as in the video and then transfer those over to reason.

• Information