Beginner Questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

08 Jun 2015

Hi all

I'm currently using Reason 8.2 and following some YouTube videos about making your first beat (most videos use Live) so trying to make sure I can translate it to reason.
Some questions that come up:-

a) If I am using audio samples for my drums, and I want to place 4/4 pattern.  I choose 1/4 grid put in the first one and Ctrl/Cmd D to copy at all other beats, that is fine.  What is the quickest way to put in a simple hat offbeat?  I change grid to 1/8th.  Put in the first hat, but how do I skip to place the next one.  Do you have to manually move the playhead?  I can't seem to copy the 'blank' space behind the hat either.  Do you extend the clip to the left to include the silence and then just copy/paste that?   I have found using cmd/ctrl and right arrow key moves the clip to the next snap point, but is there key commands to move the playhead to next snap point?

b) Does Join clips in Reason do the same as Consolidate clips in Live?

c) on the tutorial the hat clap used (I have the same sample pack - so using exactly same samples) has a tiny bit of silence before the initial hit.  I can't really see how to edit this in Reason from the sequencer so that it misses this bit off.  DO i have to take snap off and nudge the sample?  Do I have to load it into a sampler to edit it and then save to disk and use the edited sample?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

FGL

08 Jun 2015

Hi Graeme75,

You can draw the Notes into the Sequencer, you can do this with the Mouse and can shorten the notes or put them on different places, copy paste, randomize and mostly everything that you want.
Another simple way in Reason is not to draw Notes into the line. You can use a Matrix for triggering Kong or Redrum or programm directly into the Redrum Sequencer (and then bounce to track way after this). This has has the advantage that you can also run the pattern without playing the Song.

FGL

08 Jun 2015

B) I don't know
C) You can do any millisecond editing inside the Audio Editor, this is a special Window. Or inside the Comp Modus.

Mostly there is more then one way to do something in Reason.

graeme75

08 Jun 2015

Thanks for this :)

Ronin

08 Jun 2015

I would suggest going to youtube and watching reason tutorials rather than ableton ones. there are plenty of excellent reason channels. our very own hydlide for one.

graeme75

08 Jun 2015

I find there are not many Building a track from scratch vids for Reason, mainly in FL, Live or Logic. Anyone got any recommendations?

jam-s

08 Jun 2015

You could check out the Boy in a Band 7-Day song tutorials as a kind of starter: http://tutorials.boyinaband.com/

• Information