Melodyne rewired to Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Puckboy2000

05 Jun 2015

Does anybody know if this can be done? The Melodyne site says its a slave. Can I slave it to Reason? And how would that work? Would the audio from Melodyne be imported directly to an audio channel in Reason? I have never used Rewire before. Thanks!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

QVprod

05 Jun 2015

No Rewire slaves can only be connected to hosts. Reason only functions as a slave.

eusti

05 Jun 2015

I don't think it works like this... That is one of the reasons why people have asked for the feature to be able to make Reason a rewire master...
The only way I know should work is rewire Reason to another DAW and then use Melodyne as a plugin from there... I usually just bounce my reference audio and my roughly adjusted vocals and import them into Garageband... Then do my Melodyne edits there...

D.

Puckboy2000

05 Jun 2015

Cool! I was thinking then to bounce my vocals to Melodyne (as a stand alone) the export the audio back out and reimport it into reason as an audio file. Would that work?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

eusti

05 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:Cool! I was thinking then to bounce my vocals to Melodyne (as a stand alone) the export the audio back out and reimport it into reason as an audio file. Would that work?
Yes, that would work. Sometimes it's nice though to hear what you are trying to pitch it to...
But maybe you are so close that you don't need it. ;)

D.

JNeffLind

05 Jun 2015

Puckboy2000 wrote:Cool! I was thinking then to bounce my vocals to Melodyne (as a stand alone) the export the audio back out and reimport it into reason as an audio file. Would that work?
eusti wrote:
Yes, that would work. Sometimes it's nice though to hear what you are trying to pitch it to...

D.
This is the way I do it. I usually have my keyboard there with me to play the melody for reference.

Puckboy2000

05 Jun 2015

Well.. Maybe when I post a song and u can tell me if I am close enough or not. Lol. Thanks replying eusti. :)

Puckboy2000

05 Jun 2015

QVprod wrote:No Rewire slaves can only be connected to hosts. Reason only functions as a slave.
Thanks. I wonder why all these years later Reason can only still be a slave. I don't get it.

Puckboy2000

05 Jun 2015

eusti wrote:

D.
JNeffLind wrote:
This is the way I do it. I usually have my keyboard there with me to play the melody for reference.
Cool. I am glad to hear that other Reason users are using it in their music. The Neptune just doesn't cut it. I just dropped $350 plus tax on it at Guitar Center about 5 minutes ago. Hopefully I can break away from the wife and kids long enough this weekend to get it installed! I can't wait to try using the formant tool to layer some back up vocals.

JNeffLind

06 Jun 2015

$350.00? Wow, you must have gotten the Editor version. I would like to have that for polyphonic material but right now I'm just working with assistant. I'll be curious to hear how the polyphonic works, assuming you'll be using that function.

I'm far from a Melodyne master but I've got the basics covered so if you run into any issues or need tips, let me know. I'll try to watch this thread but if I don't catch any questions maybe send me a PM to call my attention to it. It's a relatively simple program though so if you read the manual you should be in good shape.

Good luck!

Puckboy2000

06 Jun 2015

JNeffLind wrote:$350.00? Wow, you must have gotten the Editor version. I would like to have that for polyphonic material but right now I'm just working with assistant. I'll be curious to hear how the polyphonic works, assuming you'll be using that function.

I'm far from a Melodyne master but I've got the basics covered so if you run into any issues or need tips, let me know. I'll try to watch this thread but if I don't catch any questions maybe send me a PM to call my attention to it. It's a relatively simple program though so if you read the manual you should be in good shape.

Good luck!
Thanks for the offer of help. I may take u up on it. Yes, I got Editor. I am going to get Presonus but realized the incorporated Melodyne was just essentials. I previously bought a bunch of tutorials on Melodyne and felt I needed the formant tool to pitch up for back up vocals. I will have to watch the polyphonic tutorials again to really grasp it and test it out. But for sure, my head exploded from watching the tutorials and seeing how powerful the program is. All my songs have vocals, so I think this is the missing link to completing and posting my music. I will probably need some mixing and mastering help, but the music should be good enough to get it to that point. I will let the forum users guide me from there. I will let you know how it goes :)

• Information