Rhodes sound

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
carlosedp

03 Jun 2015

Can anyone help me out finding a Rhodes sound similar to the one on this video: https://youtu.be/hazcYwkCP2M?t=536 ?

I  have a couple refills like ElectroMechanic but could not find a similar sound.
Thanks guys!

True

03 Jun 2015

I tried Radical Keys, but I didn't like it. On the Rhodes in particular the volume is uneven despite having a consistent velocity for the notes.

I have had FAR greater success and satisfaction with the Rhodes sounds available for the PX7. It is my go-to instrument for Rhodes (which I actually use quite a bit).

dreampolice

03 Jun 2015

Thats strange I use it ALL the time and have never ran in to the the uneven problem you describe. Honestly I am going to get a real rhones anyway.

True

03 Jun 2015

dreampolice wrote:Thats strange I use it ALL the time and have never ran in to the the uneven problem you describe.
I'm afraid I can't elaborate. I trialed it and came across that issue. Worked with it for a few hours and then gave up, deciding it must be a discrepancy in the samples.

Even so, I would prefer the PX7 anyway, most likely, as I almost always prefer a synth to a sample of a synth. If I had the money and the space I'd go for a real Rhodes, too!

selig
RE Developer

03 Jun 2015

carlosedp wrote:Can anyone help me out finding a Rhodes sound similar to the one on this video: https://youtu.be/hazcYwkCP2M?t=536 ?

I  have a couple refills like ElectroMechanic but could not find a similar sound.
Thanks guys!
First off, that's not a Rhodes, it's a Vibraphone. So I'd suggest starting by checking out the FSB under Bells and Mallets, starting with VIBRAPHONE, Vibes II, and Vibes on Stage.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

carlosedp

03 Jun 2015

Thanks a lot Selig! It's really a vibraphone.  I think Vibes II nails it with some ping-pong delay and reverb!

BTW, UBK is a hell of a plugin! Something similar (or emulated) in Reason?

;)

gak

04 Jun 2015

True wrote:I tried Radical Keys, but I didn't like it. On the Rhodes in particular the volume is uneven despite having a consistent velocity for the notes.

I have had FAR greater success and satisfaction with the Rhodes sounds available for the PX7. It is my go-to instrument for Rhodes (which I actually use quite a bit).
Agreed on both. Some of the PX7 rhodes combi's are really nice, as are actually some of the NN-XT patches. I was really excited to get the Rk's as part of my original reason purchase, but I really don't like it :x The "demos" of it sound great.....I sure as hell can't get it to sound like that :frown:

Jordan Miller

06 Jun 2015

selig wrote: First off, that's not a Rhodes, it's a Vibraphone. So I'd suggest starting by checking out the FSB under Bells and Mallets, starting with VIBRAPHONE, Vibes II, and Vibes on Stage.

It starts off with a vibraphone but changes to a rhodes after 5.20 mins for the the actual plug demo.

I don't know my rhodes sounds well enough to offer any suggestions, other than electromechanical or radical keys or there are a few dedicated refills in the shop worth checking out. I forget the names but I remember people rating them well.

selig
RE Developer

06 Jun 2015

selig wrote: First off, that's not a Rhodes, it's a Vibraphone. So I'd suggest starting by checking out the FSB under Bells and Mallets, starting with VIBRAPHONE, Vibes II, and Vibes on Stage.

Jordan Miller wrote:
It starts off with a vibraphone but changes to a rhodes after 5.20 mins for the the actual plug demo.

I don't know my rhodes sounds well enough to offer any suggestions, other than electromechanical or radical keys or there are a few dedicated refills in the shop worth checking out. I forget the names but I remember people rating them well.

The OP seemed to like the vibes, but if it's the Rhodes you mention the key part is the stereo tremolo effect (panning back and forth). Otherwise it's just a basic Rhodes patch IMO. On many Rhodes patches, the Mod Wheel controls this effect. 

Try the RhodesMKI (add mod wheel) or RhodesMKIITrem for a similar effect.
Selig Audio, LLC

GRIFTY

06 Jun 2015

I love radical keys. It's so musical and natural feeling.

carlosedp

06 Jun 2015

Hi Grifty/Selig, thanks for pointing out the differences. Liked the sound from the middle of the video (the Rhodes) more than the Vibra. The part that starts at 8:55. How can I make that vibrato effect?

Thanks!

Jordan Miller

07 Jun 2015

carlosedp wrote:Hi Grifty/Selig, thanks for pointing out the differences. Liked the sound from the middle of the video (the Rhodes) more than the Vibra. The part that starts at 8:55. How can I make that vibrato effect?

Thanks!
Pulveriser is great for this. Check out this PH video applying this to a Rhodes sound. Enable the SPREAD button for stereo tremolo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjk-gV ... EFFA1493EF

selig
RE Developer

07 Jun 2015

The original Rhodes vibrato is VERY unique, and there is nothing at all like it. Because of this I spent some time a few years back analyzing the real deal and came up with a way to essentially "sample" the effect.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7luk9w3zom2j2 ... r.rfl?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

EddieG

07 Jun 2015

Ah those soulful sweet sounds of Duke Ellington
Thanks for reminding me the FSB has a lot of good basic sounds to create with
carlosedp wrote:Can anyone help me out finding a Rhodes sound similar to the one on this video: https://youtu.be/hazcYwkCP2M?t=536 ?

Thanks guys!
selig wrote:
First off, that's not a Rhodes, it's a Vibraphone. So I'd suggest starting by checking out the FSB under Bells and Mallets, starting with VIBRAPHONE, Vibes II, and Vibes on Stage.

stratcatfl in the house !

Ras Keita

08 Jun 2015

I find the bottom one to be the best Rhodes sound I've found the top one is a close second.

• Information