how to record the tail of a matrix sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ahs

30 May 2015

hi

i have a long sequence going with matrix seq at the lowest rate and some reverbs on it. now i will bounce a 10 min. long seq wich will stop at 9 min but reocrd a 1min tail !?

how can i do this ?

Olivier

30 May 2015

I would just automate the play button on the matrix to have it stop playing at 9 minutes. Then set end marker of the song to 10 minutes and bounce the song.
But maybe i don't understand your question :)

[edit]
Automating the play button is not possible.. automate the "pattern enable" button instead (thanks sinistereo ;) )
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Sinistereo

30 May 2015

Make a sequencer lane for the pattern select on the Matrix (or the "run pattern devices" on the combinator it belongs to, if appropriate) by alt-clicking and either disable the "pattern" button, switch to an empty pattern or disable "run pattern devices" on the combi at the 9 minute mark. The Matrix output will stop, but the sequencer transport will play on.

If you want to record the result to an audio track, enable "rec source" on the mixer channel that belongs to the instrument driven by your matrix in the equipment rack. Create a new audio track, and select the "rec source" enabled mixer channel as the audio input. Record enable the new audio track to bounce the matrix-driven channel to an audio file.

Olivier

30 May 2015

Sinistereo wrote: If you want to record the result to an audio track, enable "rec source" on the mixer channel that belongs to the instrument driven by your matrix in the equipment rack. Create a new audio track, and select the "rec source" enabled mixer channel as the audio input. Record enable the new audio track to bounce the matrix-driven channel to an audio file.
Or use the "bounce mixer channels" function from the File menu.

Sinistereo

30 May 2015

eauhm wrote:I would just automate the play button on the matrix to have it stop playing at 9 minutes. Then set end marker of the song to 10 minutes and bounce the song.
I don't think the play/run button can be automated, but the "pattern [enable]" light can... (the one above the pattern selection buttons)

Maybe this is the source of the OP's confusion? Seems like that big ol' button should be an automation target.

Olivier

30 May 2015

eauhm wrote:I would just automate the play button on the matrix to have it stop playing at 9 minutes. Then set end marker of the song to 10 minutes and bounce the song.
Sinistereo wrote:
I don't think the play/run button can be automated, but the "pattern [enable]
Sinistereo wrote:" light can... (the one above the pattern selection buttons)

Maybe this is the source of the OP's confusion? Seems like that big ol' button should be an automation target.
You are absolutely right.

tibah

30 May 2015

I assume you have a reverb with a decay time of 60s avaiable (e.g. DR-1). :)

Create a pattern lane for the matrix. Draw that one out for 9 mins. Set your loop end marker or your track end marker to 10 mins. Choose your export method (loop/song).

Not sure if you're running the 60s decay time throughout the whole track. If not, you obviously have to raise the decay value of the reverb to that value at the end or close to the 9 min mark.

ahs

30 May 2015

the play button can't be automated (that's to easy)
i found a solution (copy pattern to track) but the pattern enable does the trick with a few steps less !!!

thank you all !

Exowildebeest

30 May 2015

ahs wrote:the play button can't be automated (that's to easy)
i found a solution (copy pattern to track) but the pattern enable does the trick with a few steps less !!!

thank you all !
The play button is essentially the same as the pattern automation.

Automate the pattern selection and it will play if the playhead in the sequencer reaches a pattern drawn in the sequencer. If there's nothing drawn, it will not play or stop playing.

ahs

31 May 2015

done and works !

• Information