Propellerhead's new weekly email "Propellerhead update" is making me crazy

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

29 May 2015

They have sent out about 3 of these now.  The sender name is "Propellerhead Update" and each time I read it, I get excited thinking there is a new version of Reason being release... like v8.3.  But, no, that is not the case.  They are using this to promote discover.  This week they want to hear me rap.  Nobody should want to hear ME rap. Seriously!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

challism

29 May 2015

Yo! Propellerhead updates iz straight up making me crazy.
I would set up a spam filter, but I'm too damn lazy.

Uh.... yeah..... say what? say what?

zeebot

29 May 2015

I have blocked anything from props to my email. The spam was just getting ridiculous and if anything really interesting happens it will on here within the hour.
Just unsub, it only takes less than a minute and it will take away a lot of frustration.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

challism

29 May 2015

Yeah, good point.  All the important stuff gets posted here anyway. 

joeyluck

29 May 2015

I use filters in my email on everything. Just filter out the things you don't want to hear about. And when more comes through that you don't want—add another filter.

For instance, just add a filter 'rig' if you don't want to hear about the rig bundles and want them directed to another folder, junkmail, or straight to the trash.

If that becomes too much, just unsubscribe from the email newsletter you subscribed to :)

lowpryo

29 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:I use filters in my email on everything. Just filter out the things you don't want to hear about. And when more comes through that you don't want—add another filter.

For instance, just add a filter 'rig' if you don't want to hear about the rig bundles and want them directed to another folder, junkmail, or straight to the trash.

If that becomes too much, just unsubscribe from the email newsletter you subscribed to :)

but if you filter out "rig", then you also won't be informed if they decide to add a NEW rig bundle to the store!

back when i posted basically this same thread, i got a lot of people saying "they aren't doing anything wrong, you are free to unsubscribe if you want!". and i get that. but the thing is, their e-mails USED to be useful when they only announced new things. so yes, i can fix my inbox situation, but i can't fix the fact that a service which used to be helpful is now an annoyance.

esselfortium

29 May 2015

I'm totally sick of these emails, too. Ugh. I, too, miss the days when emails from Propellerhead were usually worth reading. I've just unsubscribed. If anything important happens, I'll hear about it here.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

29 May 2015

All of my Propellerhead emails go to a tab named 'Promotions.' 
Gmail does that for folks automatically.

So my 'Inbox' is free of all that and is only messages from people looking to communicate with me directly.

When I want to read up on what Propellerhead is up to, or what sale Sweetwater has going on, I go to the Promotions tab. Other than that, it is out of sight.
It's really simple.

All of my emails regarding ReasonTalk go to my 'Social' tab...

lowpryo

29 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:All of my Propellerhead emails go to a tab named 'Promotions.' 
Gmail does that for folks automatically.

So my 'Inbox' is free of all that and is only messages from people looking to communicate with me directly.

When I want to read up on what Propellerhead is up to, or what sale Sweetwater has going on, I go to the Promotions tab. Other than that, it is out of sight.
It's really simple.

All of my emails regarding ReasonTalk go to my 'Social' tab...
previously, every PH e-mail indicated some sort of update or sale or new product.

now, you have to actually open the e-mail to see if there is even anything new. and in most cases, there isn't.

that is a downgrade. I know how gmail is organized. you can tell us all about how you prefer to use your e-mail, or how we can unsubscribe. but you can't argue that there wasn't a downgrade.

KEVMOVE02

29 May 2015

i love the new format. I hope they continue to innovate the wayand the frequency of their communication. One of the things I didn't like about the old site was how infrequent Propellerhead posted new content. No offense, but i'd rather get these eblasts authored by Propellerhead than visit a site everyday, hoping to find something interesting. I know many who post here don't like that format, but this is how most companies distribute information today (and it works). Who Moved My Cheese?

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 May 2015

The way Props used to communicate was human, in that they spoke when they had something relevant to say. We got an email once a month with an artist profile and commonly a tutorial. Maybe some news if they had something new to show. On some exciting days we got a version update email.

Sure, many people wanted those second emails to come more often and for Props to tell us in minute detail about their plans but it wasn't their style (of course they did have their funny little Blog). But while we wanted more, Props always seemed very human and grounded. They felt close.

Suddenly the emails became a steady stream of repetition and generally with no human content. As fellow humans this is hard to take. Props went from being identifiable as people to faceless corporationoids whose only contact seems to be to try to squeeze us for something Even wanting my Rapping says more about them than me.

Makes many of us uncomfortable for several very real reasons. Makes us feel like we are losing a friend, a lifeline... Trust.

Sure we can all just unsubscribe (and perhaps that is a good thing as it may just send a message). We can all use our email clients to perform clever segmenting (which seems like something a company wouldn't want us to do if they were smart). But people posting in these threads are asking Props to go back to treating us like people instead of cardboard cutouts. 

Props have their decisions to make and I have mine. Not making any judgement any way. It seems to me Props have a strategy they know many of us would not be pleased with. We feel this and naturally it makes us unsettled (if not downright sad). I will stay with Reason as long as it stays a good environment to make my music, but if what appears to be happening in that Reason is going to transform into a toy for rubber children playing at making beatz then I will go elsewhere. It will be a sad day but if Props are I going different places with our lives then it will end in D.I.V.O.R.C.E. 

Definitely we should not be sniping with each other over it.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

CharlyCharlzz

29 May 2015

I will never filter Props mail , imagine they Pick my name by a random system and send me a mail that i have won all RE's :crazy:

that sayed I got Outlook and in Outlook my Propellerhead Emails go all in a Props folder automaticly sô I dont see them all over my page and got them all in one place .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

gak

29 May 2015

Lolz, it's a first-world problem, but I still relate.

MirEko

30 May 2015

challism wrote:Yo! Propellerhead updates iz straight up making me crazy.

Record these lyrics over the discover beat and retweet it back to PH. We should all do this as a form of protest, it's the only way to get through to PH these days lol
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

challism

30 May 2015

Benedict wrote:The way Props used to communicate was human, in that they spoke when they had something relevant to say. We got an email once a month with an artist profile and commonly a tutorial. Maybe some news if they had something new to show. On some exciting days we got a version update email.

Sure, many people wanted those second emails to come more often and for Props to tell us in minute detail about their plans but it wasn't their style (of course they did have their funny little Blog). But while we wanted more, Props always seemed very human and grounded. They felt close.

Suddenly the emails became a steady stream of repetition and generally with no human content. As fellow humans this is hard to take. Props went from being identifiable as people to faceless corporationoids whose only contact seems to be to try to squeeze us for something Even wanting my Rapping says more about them than me.

Makes many of us uncomfortable for several very real reasons. Makes us feel like we are losing a friend, a lifeline... Trust.

Sure we can all just unsubscribe (and perhaps that is a good thing as it may just send a message). We can all use our email clients to perform clever segmenting (which seems like something a company wouldn't want us to do if they were smart). But people posting in these threads are asking Props to go back to treating us like people instead of cardboard cutouts. 

Props have their decisions to make and I have mine. Not making any judgement any way. It seems to me Props have a strategy they know many of us would not be pleased with. We feel this and naturally it makes us unsettled (if not downright sad). I will stay with Reason as long as it stays a good environment to make my music, but if what appears to be happening in that Reason is going to transform into a toy for rubber children playing at making beatz then I will go elsewhere. It will be a sad day but if Props are I going different places with our lives then it will end in D.I.V.O.R.C.E. 

The problem is, is that douche bag hipster (whom you love so much) is now in charge of sending their emails, Benedict.

I kind of resent the way they are saying "it's rap week,"  "Ok, now it's ambient week."  It feels like I am in kindergarten and the teacher is telling me what to do with my creative time.  Instead of treating me like the artist that I am, and letting me upload whatever the hell I want. I know I am free to upload whatever, but I find their direction condescending.
challism wrote:Yo! Propellerhead updates iz straight up making me crazy.

MirEko wrote: Record these lyrics over the discover beat and retweet it back to PH. We should all do this as a form of protest, it's the only way to get through to PH these days lol
Exactly what I was thinking when I posted that.  ha ha ha

CharlyCharlzz

02 Jun 2015

edit (had to say it anotherway.)
I think they got the most clients at there bêst promo time's , super sales and pay what you want do bring huge amounth of interest and a lot of peoples only trust others opinions unless it's risk free like in a pay what you want or a very interesting price .

I myself buyed magix musike maker premium once because of all the stuff that was included for a small price but unfortunatly it was not that cool , reason i payed full price for version 6 so I was happy to get reason 6.5 free and a few RE's but I would have never buyed it knowing it was closed format pluguing thin^g that havent prooved anything yet .
I buyed one of these bundles and had a few free RE's so yhea I know it's cool.
New buyers may have fear's on new format's and only jump on such product if they can make saving's compared to another solution and that is a 100% fact !
Reason and RE's is awesome but if there is not millions of clients for it then it's not that interesting for most Devs and I'm kind of quoting some by writing this , on the other hand some well knowed dev's do make a few plug-ins for Reason and update them because they interested by the callity of the format and can see that there how plug-ins worked kind of cooler with cables and back panel's .
some devs even may do combinators with all kinds of RE's in it to find the inspiration of there next vst's LOL .
at the end of the day I am always interested by what they can say .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Ixus

02 Jun 2015

I just put all their new mails in the spam folder.. sigh

pedrocaetanos

02 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:The way Props used to communicate was human, in that they spoke when they had something relevant to say. We got an email once a month with an artist profile and commonly a tutorial. Maybe some news if they had something new to show. On some exciting days we got a version update email.

Very well said. I agree with you on everything. Unfortunately.

Feels like they fired the people doing the old PR and hired corporation styled soul-less mercenaries... feels they lost interest in the essence of what they are doing and just on the money... the end result can't be good obviously... It's just a question of time until that shows up in the product.

And that time seems to be around now, as the changes look like what you are saying, and are happening already...

Sad. But everything ends, nothing lasts forever.

Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Gaja

04 Jun 2015

Actually the rate of these emails has dropped to one a week, which is an acceptable pace imo. Weekly newsletters are very common.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2015

I think I unsubscribed. Besides I log into this site often enough to not miss anything anyway :)

bitley

04 Jun 2015

Weekly? It started feeling like I got one five times every day.

Gaja

05 Jun 2015

I've had a short period of maybe a week where I had multiple emails a day, now it's one a week, which is completely fine in my book.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

gak

05 Jun 2015

avasopht wrote:I think I unsubscribed. Besides I log into this site often enough to not miss anything anyway :)
true.........true.........

• Information