Revamped Discover

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

tibah

27 May 2015

Damn, you're fast! ;)  Looking good.

FGL

27 May 2015

Ah, I see latest Drops is there again. But this Picture Thing only works with Figure and Take. So we will still see a lot of PH-Logo-Pictures.

FGL

27 May 2015

So, this was really a helping Thread. Thought about Cloudsound (tibah) and made the fontsize of my links smaller and then I add a my discover Link. So, if someone need high class Loops now he/she is not in need to buy any Refill (Okay, this is not a solution for everyone ;) ).

tibah

27 May 2015

Seems you have that little too much space in your signature though? Probably some unwanted line breaks. ;)  Me loves to be helpful with a signature!  :s0230:

FGL

27 May 2015

Yes, Space seems not right.

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 May 2015

Can't you add a pic to a Reason track in the Song Info box (we probably all forgot about after version 2)?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Yonatan

28 May 2015

As R7 user, I wonder if the new profile page connected to the dropped music, also allows me to display my finished or nearly finished (like a work in progress) without agreeing on others downloading and use it as the license tells. 

Short question is:

Can I use my music page as Soundcloud, viewable to all ppl, but not include it in the Discover collaboration where copyright is infridged?
Is there such an option to choose "collab sharing" or not (but still letting ppl listen when they visit my page)? 

If that is possible, then I think it´s a good direction to giving each other feedback and find collaborations one by one, naturally by taking contact with someone we find fits what we need for our project. Offcourse Soundcloud and Bandcamp etc is doing that, but I still think it is so handy to use "Drop" and then share the link on a forum or other place. It´s all about a nice workflow. Even nicer would be to be able to have this connected to your paypal or whatever, letting ppl buy songs for a download when a song is complete. You could have a certain limited snap of the tune. 

This would make it good with at least 4 options for the dropped audio, and there should be different sections or maps (whatever they be called):

1) Private; only you know the link to it, but can share it personaly only with those you want to show, for instance partners and maybe a company that have ordered a jingle.

2) Only inside of the Reason community, but not as downloadable file; only viewable to those currently logged into the community and are users. For mere tests and exempels and unfinished mixes to let ppl give feedback how it sounds on their system, if the synth is too loud or singels voice need some better treatment etc. Things you want to display for those who have the same mindset as users, not to be viewable to the outer world who wonders what crap this is, cluttering the whole page.  

3) Downloadable audio file that gives away the rights for all to use as they like. Just like Discover works at the moment.
It is indeed fun to share a little guitar piece or a singing phrase or a sampled loop of your obscure instrument at home or more creative sound effects you have recorded in nature etc. That is fun to give and recieve. You might just be looking for something little to add to your song, and there you find something that makes the final touch. Or as used now, you just need some startup loop or thing to set you going in some creative direction.

4) Commercial file; you showcase with a shorter playback (like Itunes) and letting ppl buy the single songs or group of songs (EP) or full album. Also with the option to display and listen and/or download for free while allowing ppl to donate if they wish to support the artist/producer. Completed works.    

5) Added to this would be also nice to be able to share whole Reason projects or midi-files or combinators etc, as an professional way to cooperate with other users in a creative manner.   

If this is what Prop will be considering and aiming for eventually, then I would be over the ears excited about the new community, where you have quite some options how to share and connect, and what to allow for ratings and comments and what to not. 

I might give away some nice loops and ideas onto Discover, or download other users give-away loops or ideas, but I do not want to give away things that I have worked on for weeks, aiming to later release more seriously as a whole song.
I then deserves to be able to sell or get donation for that.

More like a combination of soundcloud/Itunes/spotify/bandcamp...

That would be highly attractive. To keep all in one place, and you would make you log onto Proellerheads site every single day, all year around, and make you get inspired by others, working more for a goal and getting to know more ppl from allover who you never would have talked to otherwise. That would be to open the door to all the serious but also playful artists and producers. For Propellerhead that would mean attracting new users day by day with a flowering expanding community of dedicated users, which would also get inspired to go to the shop often and buy some new Rack Extensions.   

FGL

28 May 2015

@ Yonatan

I think what you need is a personal Artist-Side, and there are still several ways to do this today. And it is not a good Idea to make this inside the enviroment of a company in my opinion. It is no problem use some free or ten dollar a year account and make some and then link to the audio hosts you work with. Doing it this way also has many other benefits. To find some Audio for further mangling or collabs is totally another aproach. And this is the goal of Discover.

If you want to sell music you have to reach the buyers and these are the non-musicians. Buyers not be found on such a site, such a page is only interesting for worldwide connections, ideas, and musical components.

The buyers of Music are nowadays heavily searched everywhere. For a fan base you have to tour and play for little money on small stages. Or you know someone with a government radio station or another relavant medium. A lot of money, youth, beauty and good connections always help. Provided outstanding talent and even then you can not make any promises. ; )

Yonatan

28 May 2015

The dilemma is to reach out to ppl, and that is as true no matter where you have your artist site or your works.
I find that the best way is a person to person contact as going through life. Not throwing your music in other
peoples faces, but being true to what you love and naturally others will wonder, and then you just give them
where they can go listen and if they like it, it is all there to buy or give a donation.
Why I would love to have that conncted in the Prop community, is because that would be the place I share feedback and grow,
get inspiration from others, buy new REs, and so on. When finishing an idea or complete song in Reason, it would be so handy
to have it dropped directly inside where you already are logged in much of the time. Instead of exporting, going to another
site where you seldom log in, just to put up a new song for listen, then into another place for spotify and Itunes etc.
Ok, this my wish is based more on a hobby user perspective, not having 12h a day to promote and go about.
Those artists need to be on the right spots all the time, commercially available. But as an independent prod/artist,
I think that simplicity is the key, letting focus not split too much all the time. Giving more space to creation.
When it comes to streaming, Propellerhead could easily make an agreement with Spotify for instance,
to be able for their users to go there via them in some way. They are both swedish companies based in Stockholm,
should not be rocket science. Companies like Prop have to find new ways in new times, still maintaining their spirit and soul.
It cant be done quickly, but making it easier for their users to reach out and even sell their works, would attract thousands.
I rather pay a percentage to Prop than some other company, just to put songs on Spotify etc.  
So, my suggestions is more my dream, but I know it might never happen, and maybe should not happen,
but it would be very liberating if it could grow somewhat into that direction.  

FGL

28 May 2015

There are no simple people (why enlish guys shorten people?) at Discover, there are people who share music. People who share music are in my opinion more or less artists. And if you want to share and communicate about music I think everything is there. Here in this Forum is a Thread for sharing and get some feedback. Check it out, but you will see. It is not so easy to talk with Artists about Art. Professional talking needs the skill to look with a unfamiliar view on your own work (the hardest exercise at all).

joeyluck

28 May 2015

I would like to see an option to click on the location (such as my own) to see all other Reason users in my city. That would be cool!

Faastwalker

28 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:I would like to see an option to click on the location (such as my own) to see all other Reason users in my city. That would be cool!
That would be cool.

Are we able to search yet? Maybe for specific tags, genres, artists etc. I don't see a search option!

At from the main page it still feels like there isn't much stuff on there at all!

FGL

29 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:I would like to see an option to click on the location (such as my own) to see all other Reason users in my city. That would be cool!
Thats a nice Idea.

FGL

29 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote: That would be cool.

Are we able to search yet? Maybe for specific tags, genres, artists etc. I don't see a search option!

At from the main page it still feels like there isn't much stuff on there at all!
That it could not be searched is really annoying.

Faastwalker

29 May 2015

How do we change the image for each uploaded song? At the moment I just see the Reason logo for uploads from Reason. but I notice other users have their own images for uploads. Can't work out how to do this myself. When you 'edit' an upload there doesn't seem to be an option to change the song image.

Attachments
discover_1.jpg
discover_1.jpg (417.16 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

softska

29 May 2015

I still really really hate the fact they use my account name as profile url, and there's no way to change it.

joeyluck

29 May 2015

softska wrote:I still really really hate the fact they use my account name as profile url, and there's no way to change it.
It makes sense to me. Locating artists' pages is easier. 
I'm Joey Luck. My username is 'joeyluck' and my profile url is /joeyluck.

When somebody sees your Discover piece, they see your username.
So why not have the username as the url?

You can contact Propellerhead to change your username if that helps...

softska

29 May 2015

softska wrote:I still really really hate the fact they use my account name as profile url, and there's no way to change it.
joeyluck wrote:
It makes sense to me. Locating artists' pages is easier. 
I'm Joey Luck. My username is 'joeyluck' and my profile url is /joeyluck.

When somebody sees your Discover piece, they see your username.
So why not have the username as the url?

You can contact Propellerhead to change your username if that helps...
But my username isn't my name, nor did I never intended it to when I register.

I will contact them at some point but why can't profile name url be a different one? Maybe it's convenient for them, but nobody needs to know which account I store my licenses, that's between me and Propellerhead.

tibah

30 May 2015

Hmmm.

Seems the "delete" option is broken here in Chrome. Tried to delete a song, but after the prompt window for confirmation, I can only click on that button endlessly?

Why delete you say? Well, I got 5 plays in 3 days. 4 of them I made myself to check the profiling and whatnot, checking the quality of the play (and because I like what I uploaded ;) ).

So, basically I got 1 person to listen to that? I get that's all random, but you have like 20 mins before you get out of the "spotlight" and after that? Did I miss some tagging system? Maybe I'm getting it wrong, but unless you are in the main categories, you can endlessly click pages of things no one will ever listen to or have an option to search for? Wheee!

:crazy:

I like the idea, but seems uploading stuff to Discover is pretty much pointless still, unless featured or highlighted by PH?

FGL

30 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote:How do we change the image for each uploaded song? At the moment I just see the Reason logo for uploads from Reason. but I notice other users have their own images for uploads. Can't work out how to do this myself. When you 'edit' an upload there doesn't seem to be an option to change the song image.

Props wrote in there anouncment that this will come for Reason users too. I think it will come next with some minor update.

FGL

30 May 2015

@ tibah

It was boken with Firefox too. But I hope this will be fixed soon.

Faastwalker

30 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote:How do we change the image for each uploaded song? At the moment I just see the Reason logo for uploads from Reason. but I notice other users have their own images for uploads. Can't work out how to do this myself. When you 'edit' an upload there doesn't seem to be an option to change the song image.

FGL wrote: Props wrote in there anouncment that this will come for Reason users too. I think it will come next with some minor update.
So can you already do this with Figure / Take?

FGL

31 May 2015

Yes, with Take and Figure it is possible. Also if you open a reason file with Take and send it with this.

FGL

31 May 2015

tibah wrote:Hmmm.

Seems the "delete" option is broken here in Chrome. Tried to delete a song, but after the prompt window for confirmation, I can only click on that button endlessly?

Why delete you say? Well, I got 5 plays in 3 days. 4 of them I made myself to check the profiling and whatnot, checking the quality of the play (and because I like what I uploaded ;) ).

So, basically I got 1 person to listen to that? I get that's all random, but you have like 20 mins before you get out of the "spotlight" and after that? Did I miss some tagging system? Maybe I'm getting it wrong, but unless you are in the main categories, you can endlessly click pages of things no one will ever listen to or have an option to search for? Wheee!

:crazy:

I like the idea, but seems uploading stuff to Discover is pretty much pointless still, unless featured or highlighted by PH?
I think, It will come out right in the End. The search is practically obligatory. But there is some oversupply, as everywhere in Music. So you have to do it like always and build contacts or use existing contacts or hoping for happy accidents. Currently, I lay there just usable snippets pure as in a musical diary and then hear himself now and then pure. If an other finds something useful, no problem. Even an imaginary public promotes concentration.  ; )

• Information